Need your help to understand this

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

andersenstorm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Need your help to understand this

Post by andersenstorm » Tue Apr 04, 2023 10:53 pm

Hi everybody,

I'm here to learn. To learn something of a critic you have to understand what went wrong in pov of the screener. I'm disappointed sometimes when I get a Return and don't get the point. Then I'd make the same mistake over and over, and I never jump over the bar how slightly I'd have done it.

What's the point? Would you help me out please?

SOUND DESIGN-Driven TRAILER-Style INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a top-notch Production Music Library that's landed tons of placements in TV Shows, Films, and Commercials.

NOTE: This Library is BRAND NEW to requesting music from TAXI, so this is a great opportunity to create a new relationship for you and your music with an award-winning Company!

This Library is on the lookout for a range of Instrumentals that could fit on a playlist with the references below:

Wrath of Man Trailer https://youtu.be/wo1kO8m2Nik

“Big Game” Spot | Marvel Studios | Disney+

Orphan: First Kill Trailer

The Harbinger Trailer

Please send them well-composed Trailer-style Instrumentals that feature Sound Design elements as their primary instrumentation. Your submissions should have rhythmic and impactful 3 "act" trailer-style arrangements that build in momentum, dynamics, and intensity to a climactic ending. Some additional instrumentation such as Orchestral, Rock, or Electronic elements could also work for this piece, as long as Sound Design remains the piece's focus. Please be sure your production is polished and any virtual instruments, sounds, or samples you use are cutting-edge and high-quality. Don't be afraid to layer up your instrumentation to create an epic, blockbuster sound – the bigger, the better for these kinds of Instrumentals!

All submissions should be about 90 seconds to 3 minutes long, give or take. Clean beginnings and Non-Faded, buttoned endings are required so that no extra editing work is needed on the client’s side to make the piece work in a project. Please do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Do NOT submit any material with unauthorized samples of any other artists’ music, sounds, or any other form of media. Broadcast Quality is needed.

https://www.taxi.com/members/oiYiE80uTn ... nthnatural

The Listing: https://www.taxi.com/listings/S230327OG
Last edited by andersenstorm on Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Need your help to understand this

Post by Telefunkin » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:18 am

Hi, you're asking for help "to understand this", but there is no "this" :). The link to the listing shows ALL listings, so we can't see what was asked for and can't listen to the ref tracks. We can't see your feedback so we don't know what was said, and you don't say what's in there that you don't understand. Basically, all anyone can do is listen to your track and comment on it as a piece of music from a sync perspective. Although you're asking for help you're not helping anyone to help you.

[EDIT: Thanks for adding the listing to your original post. Now there is some context. Perhaps my comments below are still relevant though.]

With not much to go on then, here's a few things that occurred to me whilst listening to your track, plus a few opinions....
There are moments where the sound drops out completely (eg 5s, 1:23s and others). I don't know whether that's intentional or not, but I don't think such stops or work in its favour. Stutter effects would be good, but yours sound more like dropout. Also, there are larger gaps which I guess you intended as edit points but so many of them really break up the flow of the track. Perhaps more 'musical' transitions would have been better. My other guess is that you were submitting for a trailer-type listing and perhaps the gaps are an attempt to provide at least 3 'acts' (although have provided 5 or so). The sections are quite non-musical and rely heavily on impact samples but don't always feel like they follow each other. The levels are not always a good match either, for example the first section is broken in half by a dropout then comes back in to then fade out. I also noticed some old-style (almost chiptune) sounds in there which give it a slight retro feel.

Of course, these are just my comments based on no information, and perhaps the the listing asked for some of these things. However, I hope there's something amongst them that you can use.
Last edited by Telefunkin on Thu Apr 06, 2023 2:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

andersenstorm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by andersenstorm » Wed Apr 05, 2023 11:55 am

Thank you Telefunkin! I can go on with your answer. That is helpful.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:16 pm

You need to paste the listing into your message so we can read it and listen to the ref tracks

What I hear is a hybrid trailer chip tune track that has some muddy production and not much happening in the low end, so even if the music is what they wanted the production needs work.

andersenstorm
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by andersenstorm » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:53 pm

I copied it in my posting @cosmicdolphin. Thank you.