We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

NEO-FOLK INSTRUMENTAL CUE

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:23 am

Hey all -

Looking for feedback on this piece being a fit for the listing below: https://www.taxi.com/members/Gjdf7sdFR ... ther-again

I suspect it would be rejected for having an A and B section, but not sure....

Thank you,
DK

UPLIFTING NEO-FOLK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal for placements in Promotions, Advertising, and other TV Programming.

NOTE: We previously ran this request as TAXI Listing #S210722NF, but the Library didn't find what they were looking for. If you submitted to listing #S210722NF, please send different material this time around.

NEW TIPS FROM THE LIBRARY TO HELP YOU NAIL THIS PITCH: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures. What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the Library gave us to get yourself in the ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1un0i65dw8ra ... Z7v5a?dl=0

Quoting the Library: "Make sure there are options for editors by having different sections (ie: build-ups, accent sections, dynamic section...etc). Avoid any (prominent) leads or anything that's too distracting; rather, use catchy little motifs/phrases that are embedded in the chord progression/arrangement."

Please submit well-produced Neo-Folk Instrumentals with an overall uplifting, feel-good vibe and sound. Craft your Cues around one clear motif, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Acoustic-based instrumentation like acoustic guitars, light percussion, piano, stomps, strings, etc. will suit your submissions best. Please be sure that your production and any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and modern – nothing dated or synthetic-sounding will work for this pitch.

TAXI Tip: Some non-lyric vocal parts like "oohs," "ahhs," etc. could help add some extra care-free energy to your tracks. They're not a requirement, but the references they gave have them, so listen to see how they've used them!

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.
Last edited by DouglasKnight on Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cameloide
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Re: NEO-FOLK INSTRUMENTAL CUE

Post by Cameloide » Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:22 am

DouglasKnight wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:23 am
I suspect it would be rejected for having an A and B section, but not sure....

NEW TIPS FROM THE LIBRARY TO HELP YOU NAIL THIS PITCH: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures. What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!
I suspect you're right, because they actually say in the brief they don't want A and B sections.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:18 pm

While the listing states they don't want [key word: complimentary] A and B sections, the ref tracks from the library (for this and for the related S211020MO listing) in fact do have B sections, but they do not stray from the single laser-focus of the intended emotion. I think a B section, as long as it is not contrasting material, is fine for the listing.

My first impression is that the mix for your cue is kind of 'upside down' for a feel-good cue: the kick drum is rather insistent, and the layers all seem to fade into the background in contrast. I suggest allowing the colors and textures to speak and put the kick father to the back, maybe softening its attack a bit. JM2C

DouglasKnight
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by DouglasKnight » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:53 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:18 pm
While the listing states they don't want [key word: complimentary] A and B sections, the ref tracks from the library (for this and for the related S211020MO listing) in fact do have B sections, but they do not stray from the single laser-focus of the intended emotion. I think a B section, as long as it is not contrasting material, is fine for the listing.

My first impression is that the mix for your cue is kind of 'upside down' for a feel-good cue: the kick drum is rather insistent, and the layers all seem to fade into the background in contrast. I suggest allowing the colors and textures to speak and put the kick father to the back, maybe softening its attack a bit. JM2C
Thanks for the insight, Alan - I agree and will re-mix it with a less prominent kick drum.

Appreciate your feedback,
Doug