Net Synchronization Fee?

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

GHM

Net Synchronization Fee?

Post by GHM » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:48 am

Hello Taxi Composers, Recently got a contract offer for some songs through a new start-up Production Library. The contract is mostly standard items. However, the verbiage is rather confusing around the " net synchronization fee".
I've asked the person to please explain or provide an example of how this net-sync fee would function & play out in a real sceanrio.
I haven't heard back in about 3-4 days. So wanted to post here.

Anybody ever ran across this term before?

Thanks a bunch, Keep those pens & strings moving!

GHM

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Net Synchronization Fee?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:21 am

Maybe they mean a micro-license sync fee if it gets licensed for a Youtube video or similar ?

I've had a couple of tracks used on Greenpeace videos that were online only with a small upfront payment...£50 each I think it was

GHM

Post by GHM » Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:40 am

Hello Taxi members,

Thaaks Cosmic Dolphin for your thoughts & reply. I have heard back from the owner of the company. Though somewhat confusing and ambiguous language, it does refer to the net revenue that the composer and the publisher would receive if a composition were to be permanently, and exclusively bought out from a show's Production Company that it originally was placed in. It would seem a lot more reasonable and clearly understandable to me, if that's what it said in the contract versus "Net synchronization Fee" minus reasonable attorney fees & the even more ambiguous "administrative costs".
With all that said, the production company and management that I'm working with does seem to be reasonable, and was willing to spell some things out differently in the contract so that piece of it made more sense...Something you don't see very often.
Glad TAXI staff are still beating the bushes & providing real business opps. That is much appreciated.

Here's to great-writng & success for us all,

GH

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:17 am

GHM wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:40 am
Hello Taxi members,

Thaaks Cosmic Dolphin for your thoughts & reply. I have heard back from the owner of the company. Though somewhat confusing and ambiguous language, it does refer to the net revenue that the composer and the publisher would receive if a composition were to be permanently, and exclusively bought out from a show's Production Company that it originally was placed in. It would seem a lot more reasonable and clearly understandable to me, if that's what it said in the contract versus "Net synchronization Fee" minus reasonable attorney fees & the even more ambiguous "administrative costs".
With all that said, the production company and management that I'm working with does seem to be reasonable, and was willing to spell some things out differently in the contract so that piece of it made more sense...Something you don't see very often.
Glad TAXI staff are still beating the bushes & providing real business opps. That is much appreciated.

Here's to great-writng & success for us all,

GH
Thanks for posting that GH. Interesting what is popping up in contracts. But it’s refreshing to hear the library worked with you on the language. And congrats on the signing!
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com