New Age Instrumentals For Review

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

New Age Instrumentals For Review

Post by aubreyz » Sun Sep 17, 2006 9:03 pm

This will be my first instrumental submission. The following is the listing description:Quote:Moody, atmospheric NEW AGE INSTRUMENTALS [no vocals] in all tempos sought by President of Music Library/Publishing Company for potential placement in Reality Shows on TV. Instrumentals with or without lead melody lines are OK. Tracks that drift into the Muzak territory may also be OK, but he’s NOT seeking healing/meditation/nature/relaxation tracks -- he needs New Age with a bit of an edge. He said to watch Survivor, The Apprentice, America’s Next Top Model, and all the others from Network to Cable to PBS, and emulate and innovate what you hear. Tracks must be broadcast quality (great sounding home demos are OK). Here are the two tracks. I would appreciate your feedback.Impending VerdictDissonant ReflectionThanks,Aub

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New Age Instrumentals For Review

Post by matto » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:17 am

Hey Aub,I like them, really well put together and interesting compositions.My only concern is they might be a bit hard hitting/serious/dark for this New Age listing, particularly the first piece. I know it's for reality shows, and I could certainly see these pieces used in reality shows...but my feeling is that the listing party is using the term "New Age" to indicate they are looking for something more on the lighter side of the reality show spectrum.Just my 2c.matto

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:41 am

Quote:Hey Aub,I like them, really well put together and interesting compositions.My only concern is they might be a bit hard hitting/serious/dark for this New Age listing, particularly the first piece. I know it's for reality shows, and I could certainly see these pieces used in reality shows...but my feeling is that the listing party is using the term "New Age" to indicate they are looking for something more on the lighter side of the reality show spectrum.Just my 2c.mattoYou may be right. I had the same concern, but dark is my favorite color...lol. On this listing my time was limited so I went with what was easy. It's much harder for me to do a lighter tune well, without it getting all cheesy --- I was leaning more Survivor, but may have fallen over I was hoping you would listen. I have listened to a lot of your stuff and really like your work. Thanks for the comments. I was also concerned that the first track might be too busy.This is a new game for me. I'm used to way more input and direction- feedback along the way. The broad categories will take a bit to sort out. I wish that I would have taken this path years ago-- you and Dave give me great hope that with time and perserverance independent success is possible.Thanks again,Aub

kevinmathie
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kevinmathie » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:36 am

Nice. I like the darkness of the tracks (particularly since the listing described the tracks as "Moody"), but then that's just me. Matto's probably right about the darkness being too much.Good luck. Let us know what the feedback is. I was going to try to put something together for that listing, but I couldn't do it. Too many paying projects this month -- not that I'm complaining!

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:24 am

Quote:Nice. I like the darkness of the tracks (particularly since the listing described the tracks as "Moody"), but then that's just me. Matto's probably right about the darkness being too much.Good luck. Let us know what the feedback is. I was going to try to put something together for that listing, but I couldn't do it. Too many paying projects this month -- not that I'm complaining!We'll see if the dark flies... just pulled the Broadjam trigger, so off they go. I will let you know the feedback when it hits.I had excused myself out of making the deadline for this listing too, but kicked myself in the pants and gave up my Sunday afternoon/night to get them done.From the track I've heard of yours--- nothing short of great... maybe you need another newspaper slap. Aub

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:36 pm

Hey Aub-I really like these pieces...nice variety of timbres, and they certainly set a mood. I'm reminded of BT's darker music (from "Emotional Technology") and the soundtrack from the "Resident Evil" movie by Marco Beltrami & Marilyn Manson.If there is a fault in them, it's that they don't give a consistent emotional message; one part is dark-dark, and then some notes come in that sound almost positive (by comparison), confusing the mood. This could make placing the pieces difficult for a music supervisor.In any case, great job! Hope you get forwarded.Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:51 pm

Quote:Hey Aub-I really like these pieces...nice variety of timbres, and they certainly set a mood. I'm reminded of BT's darker music (from "Emotional Technology") and the soundtrack from the "Resident Evil" movie by Marco Beltrami & Marilyn Manson.If there is a fault in them, it's that they don't give a consistent emotional message; one part is dark-dark, and then some notes come in that sound almost positive (by comparison), confusing the mood. This could make placing the pieces difficult for a music supervisor.In any case, great job! Hope you get forwarded.AndreThanks for the input Andre. I see your point. I was shooting for contrast, but get what you are saying. Thankfully these aren't anything I've really poured a lot of soul and sweat into, just a couple of "quickies". Good input for future work though.I take your comparisons as quite a compliment. Thanks again.Aub

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Dark is the new black!

Post by aubreyz » Mon Oct 02, 2006 2:51 pm

Well... dark wins. Both were forwarded for this listing. Here were the comments:song #1 has a simple approach yet creates an engaging, dissonant mood. Song #2; consistent with song #1. These tunes have a more aggressive, dark sort of mood to them than most of the submission for this listing. Forwarding>Reason for forwarding:good aggressive, yet dark mood for this listing.2 down... many many many more to go Aub

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:11 pm

Congrats, Aub! That's great news. These pieces were certainly worthy of forwards.You'll be scoring Resident Evil 3 before you know it. Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

hummingbird
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by hummingbird » Mon Oct 02, 2006 4:26 pm

Congrats! I didn't make it on this one, but I got some constructive critiquing, which was really the point of my submission. Hope everything works out for you!!cheersHummin'bird
"As we are creative beings, our lives become our works of art." (Julia Cameron)

Shy Singer-Songwriter Blog

Vikki Flawith Music Website