New composer library deal

Did you get a deal through TAXI? Lets hear about it!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

New composer library deal

Post by davewalton » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:51 am

Hi,

This is a Taxi-related, Taxi-inspired deal as opposed to a direct deal from a forward but nonetheless... it never would have happened without being part of Taxi and the Taxi family. In a nutshell, this is a composing deal with a high-end music library, a deal to write music (CD projects) for that library as their needs arise. It is what we all strive for... upfront pay for each project which means that the library has an investment and needs to recoup that investment... by placing that music into film/television. 8-) I want to point out too that I also strive to have a nice balance of relationships with various music libraries... exclusive, non-exclusive, pay-up-front, non-pay-upfront... they all serve a purpose and fill a segment of the market. This is an "addition to" other things that I do and have done... all have given me tremendous opportunities and experience. I value the opportunities and relationships with all of them equally.

So how did I get this particular one? Well... first I submitted one track of music to Taxi. When the screener returned it, I threw a fit, posted a big rant on the Taxi forum and made a YouTube video trashing everyone and everything in sight. The library/company saw that and contacted me saying "WOW! You must be really talented... otherwise someone would have killed you by now! Attached is a contract." :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK... maybe it didn't happen that way. ;)

Here's how it did happen...

I was introduced though another Taxi member
I contacted them after that introduction and asked for a meeting (a rare luxury for me... a face-to-face meeting)
They liked my crime drama music
The asked me to identify "holes" in their crime drama collection and pitch them some ideas (homework!!!)
I spent a week doing that research... listening, identifying what was "missing", talking with other composers for advice
I pitched several ideas including "edgy/experimental crime drama music"
They asked for a demo of what I meant by "edgy/experimental crime drama music"... I sent three
They liked what I did and asked me to contact them
I contacted them and waited almost two weeks with no reply
I sent a friendly reminder and got confirmation of my acceptance into their library as a composer and details for my first project
First project is a CD of "edgy/experimental crime drama music" (almost total musical freedom from a creative standpoint... for me at least)

Here's one of the tracks that I did for the demo...

http://www.DaveWaltonMusic.com/MyMusic/ ... Demo02.mp3

Anyway... it's another example of the "5-year plan" philosophy and thinking. Slow and steady wins the race (unless you're Jeff Greenleaf in which case you just take off running and never look back! :lol: :lol: ). 8-)

A cool Taxi-related, Taxi-inspired deal to add to other Taxi deals. Taxi simply rocks (if you're patient enough).

Thanks Taxi!

Dave :D
Last edited by davewalton on Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

deankripp
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: New composer library deal

Post by deankripp » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:38 am

Congrats Dave

great story - especially the "youtube rant part" - heh ;-)

seriously, major congrats on getting this gig with the upfront dough (a rarity).... you deserve it !!!!

:-)

dean k

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:58 am

davewalton wrote:So how did I get this particular one? Well... first I submitted one track of music to Taxi. When the screener returned it, I threw a fit, posted a big rant on the Taxi forum and made a YouTube video trashing everyone and everything in sight. The library/company saw that and contacted me saying "WOW! You must be really talented... otherwise someone would have killed you by now! Attached is a contract." :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Big time congrats, Dave!! You deserve every ounce of success! 8-)

P.S. Can I have that youtube link? :shock: :lol:

Casey

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:30 am

Awesome news Dave! Sounds like you've been working hard, congrats!
-- Marc Blackwell

crystallions
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crystallions » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 am

This is so great! Huge congratulations Dave!!! (and thanks for your funny explanation of how this did not happen) :lol:
Lydia L. Ashton

http://www.lydiaashton.com

"To send light into the darkness of men's hearts - such is the duty of the artist." - Robert Schumann

fusilierb
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by fusilierb » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:26 am

Wow, that's a really cool story. I can't listen to the piece at work, but am very curious so will check it out later tonight.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:47 am

Dave,

Great news and great work on the business/relationship side!!

It's such a great confirmation that community, collaboration and relationships are a necessary component of success (in any business really!).

I'm so glad you spoke up at that Rally so many years ago now and invited us to have dinner with you, we've been friends ever since and it's been very positive. I guess I didn't know your crazy lunatic side (YouTube video!! :o ;) ) at the time but I've grown to tolerate it!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

You're a gentleman and a scholar, and an inspiration!!

Big Congrats!!!

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

kclements
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by kclements » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:53 am

Nice Job Dave! Congrats on a very well deserved gig. Love to hear stories like this where patience and diligence is rewarded.

Cheers
kc
kayle clements

When opportunity knocks, you better be dressed and ready to go!

clementunes.com | taxi | soundcloud

cherbear
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by cherbear » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:39 pm

DAve - this is a great read. Especially about the ranting ;) Too funny!!
Relationships are so important in any business - thanks for the great example here.

Cher :)

jeffgreenleaf
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by jeffgreenleaf » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:56 pm

Congrats Dave!
I'm still hitting it hard (like lots of other forum buds), but it ain't always pretty. (Where's my coffee?!)
8-) :shock:
Keep it up!