We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

New Country Rock Listing

Post by DBarnett » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:51 am

Howdy!
The strange thing is I just finished working on an instrumental using one of the references -Whiskey Myers' "Die Rockin"

HIGH-ENERGY COUNTRY ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful EXCLUSIVE Music Licensing Company for placements in Sports-related Programming.

This Company is looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues that would fall within the general stylistic wheelhouse of the following references:

"1, 2, Many" by Luke Combs feat. Brooks and Dunn https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSUGanzzabA

"Die Rockin" by Whiskey Myers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcpqwHUSAEI

"Arkansas" by Chris Stapleton https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D3hMKn4x_8

Although the references have vocals, please submit Instrumental Cues only for this pitch.

Please submit well-produced Country Rock Instrumental Cues that fire on all cylinders from start to finish. Craft your Cues around a singular motif and mood, and create a sense of forward momentum and dynamics by layering instrumentation in and out as they progress. Authentic-sounding Country Rock instrumentation is key to nailing this request; so if you're using any virtual instruments or samples, they need to sound like the real deal and not synthetic or obviously MIDI-driven. Your production should be high-quality, as well!

All submissions should be around 90 seconds to 2 minutes in length, give or take. Non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings will work best. Please do not copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for feel, texture, and tone. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Please comment on any elements that need improvement. Thank you for your time and thoughts :D

*Final Mix* by Co-Producer Robert E Gardner

Last edited by DBarnett on Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: New Country Rock Listing

Post by funsongs » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:23 am

Pardon the rePete: "sounds Rock-Solid to me."
I can imagine a New Country group doing a song to this and a live audience (now that they're back) at The Opry.
Cause that's how they roll these days.
HTH.
Your mileage may vary. :? :P
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:05 am

Dave! You're rockin' my socks off!

But seriously, I saw your post and thought 'how'd he get another cue posted so fast?' :lol:
Great work. If I had a nit to pick, I'd say it doesn't need a bridge, and that would get it closer to the 2 minute mark. Just an idea.
Alan

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:25 am

AlanHall wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:05 am
Dave! You're rockin' my socks off!

But seriously, I saw your post and thought 'how'd he get another cue posted so fast?' :lol:
Great work. If I had a nit to pick, I'd say it doesn't need a bridge, and that would get it closer to the 2 minute mark. Just an idea.
Alan
Thanks Alan!

Right? I just finished this up last week using the Die Rockin' reference because there was no other listings for me (my style) to work on :lol:

Listening back today I hear some low end issues?... I think

Also the guitars may be too distorted?

The other 2 references are more country than rock....Am I right?

The Whiskey Myers is more "HIGH ENERGY" IMO

If I tone down the guitars it will hopefully maintain the energy?

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:34 pm

Had to listen to the ref tracks... pretty sure the Chris Stapleton was used on a previous listing as well. I don't remember hearing the Luke Combs before... but what I can say after listening is that I hear a larger dynamic range, i.e., places in the ref tracks where they break it down to just a few instruments (layers) and then bring solos & such up on top of that so that it's not too cluttered (not saying your track is cluttered!!) before rising to a climax. So maybe instead of 'toning down' your guitars, you could drop them out for 8..16 bars in favor of something clean (acoustic? Tele?) for a sectional contrast. I would leave the distortion and the grit at the level it is, just offer "alternatives".

Can't say about the low end. Maybe, maybe not. I like a solid low end, but it may not be genre correct. I dunno.

And let me say I like the harp. Is that you, playing live? It sure helps cement the 'country' in country rock.

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:52 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:34 pm
Had to listen to the ref tracks... pretty sure the Chris Stapleton was used on a previous listing as well. I don't remember hearing the Luke Combs before... but what I can say after listening is that I hear a larger dynamic range, i.e., places in the ref tracks where they break it down to just a few instruments (layers) and then bring solos & such up on top of that so that it's not too cluttered (not saying your track is cluttered!!) before rising to a climax. So maybe instead of 'toning down' your guitars, you could drop them out for 8..16 bars in favor of something clean (acoustic? Tele?) for a sectional contrast. I would leave the distortion and the grit at the level it is, just offer "alternatives".

Can't say about the low end. Maybe, maybe not. I like a solid low end, but it may not be genre correct. I dunno.

And let me say I like the harp. Is that you, playing live? It sure helps cement the 'country' in country rock.
I think those are all great tips and insights, Alan
My co-writer, Bob Gardner is doing a re-mix so we'll see what his vision is but I think you're on the money with dropping the gritty guitars and replacing with Acoustic and Tele (I have both ;) )
Yes that is me on harmonica :)
Thanks for your help brother. Please keep an ear for new version(s)
Peace!

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:24 am

DBarnett wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:51 am

Please submit well-produced Country Rock Instrumental Cues that fire on all cylinders from start to finish.
So I'm going to back up here though I appreciate what Alan is saying but from the listing the first line of what is needed
How would any of you interpret this? :D

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:26 am

DBarnett wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:24 am
DBarnett wrote:

Please submit well-produced Country Rock Instrumental Cues that fire on all cylinders from start to finish.
So I'm going to back up here though I appreciate what Alan is saying but from the listing the first line of what is needed
They're looking for a super-charged, fully-blown big-block V8 with power to spare; not a wimpy hybrid that you gotta plug in. :? :P
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

DBarnett
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DBarnett » Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:33 am

funsongs wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:26 am
DBarnett wrote:
DBarnett wrote:

They're looking for a super-charged, fully-blown big-block V8 with power to spare; not a wimpy hybrid that you gotta plug in. :? :P
Ok lol yeah I get that :lol: Now I'm not sure I got what it takes hahaha
Peter, you should write for Taxi Listings, very descriptive my friend

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:04 am

DBarnett wrote:
DBarnett wrote:

Please don't misunderstand my comments, I'm certainly not saying you should ditch any of the hard, gritty, driving elements :shock:
From my listening to the ref tracks, as well as "archetypal" cues - and the stick-figure drawings that ML has displayed on Taxi TV (!!) - it seems to me that at some point there's a breakdown to soft, then the layered build back up to massive. The editors IMHO want enough variety to make choices. If they want 60 sec of full-throttle blast, you've given it to them. If they need to insert a softer 'donut hole' in the cut, you've given them material to do that too. They'll use whatever you've delivered in your smorgasbord of sound [I bet there's a southern rock version of smorgasbord] to accomplish their goal. 2 minutes is a very long buffet table! :lol: