New demo song, alternative cello-pop

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

unwoman

New demo song, alternative cello-pop

Post by unwoman » Thu May 29, 2008 7:53 am

This is a demo of the first I've written since I released my 3rd CD. I'm not going to get into a whole thing about who I am or what I do or why, but here is my new song "Loud and Clear" and I welcome your feedback. I see it being recorded with real drums (or possibly keeping it electronic like everything else I've done.) I've never known what Taxi genre I fit into, but I do what I do and essentially that's to write dark(ish) songs for voice & cello/piano/electronics, and I submit my songs for listings that list similar artists and haven't been forwarded yet, but I only joined 6 months ago and don't expect the world on a platter.The song is about being over seeing my own success only in terms of other people's opinions. I have a feeling some of you can relate. Stream:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... wnload=1My taxi page: http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.p ... =unwomanMy actual website:http://www.unwoman.comThanks! If you want my opinion on something in return please post a link to one of your songs in a reply. Please don't feel the need to fill out a full Taxi review form, I would owe you $5 if you did that. Erica

bwrenhewmach
Impressive
Impressive

Re: New demo song, alternative cello-pop

Post by bwrenhewmach » Thu May 29, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi Erica I am in love with your vocals very very good you really have a million dollar voice. I think the verses are excellent. The only thing I would do is add a two or three part harmony in the chorus's. I could hear this in a serious moment in one of the CSI s or something along those lines. Thanks I enjoyed the listen. Mild Bill PS I just finished a song called Coming Home a Celtic Instr. I will post it for your review.

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Thu May 29, 2008 4:17 pm

hi erica--really like this different tune--great vox, though at times can't make out all the words (so what?), and the cello is dynamically beautiful. ok, this is what i think it's best suited for, and hold on to your seat (though i bet you already know). THE NEXT BROADWAY ANYTHING LISTED ON TAXI, SUBMIT, SUBMIT, SUBMIT! it really reminds me of a broadway tune-to-be.just my opinion, and when you couple that opinion with the opening and closing backround, BAM, it really speaks again to broadway.the best to you, love it,warrenps: listen to mild bill--he's a genius also in waiting!!!!

unwoman

Post by unwoman » Fri May 30, 2008 4:57 am

Warren -- thanks!!! I will keep my eye out for Broadway opportunities. I hadn't thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense. Great idea.

unwoman

Post by unwoman » Fri May 30, 2008 4:57 am

@ Mild Bill I look forward to hearing your track.

smaltonian
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by smaltonian » Fri May 30, 2008 7:18 am

UNWOMANWell I for one hear other people's opinions but I AM NOT GONNA CHANGE WHO I AM AS AN ARTIST.....That would be foolish....I can only use the gifts I have....To the best I know how...That is HOW you find your audience....being yourself..........That said i really enjoyed this music....Unique sound....it's YOUDON'T CHANGE WHAT YOU DO WELL.....Otherwise you are no longer YOU but who and what others WANT you to be...STAY TRUE TO YOURSELFSteve

heinsite
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by heinsite » Fri May 30, 2008 3:57 pm

hey steve--always love to hear your "be true to yourself" advice--i am in the middle of doing that right now with a new tune i'm struggling with (but just a bit...i write slowly sometimes) , but find it getting harder because of the "influences" here, there and everywhere. funny i was just thinking of that very point today (and i know you've made it many times, thanks for doing so!!), getting pissed that some of us are threatened to have to change our styles to sell or be sold. the problem with this land as i see it is that we are LOSING our style! our uniqueness, our bon vivant as the frenchys would say. i came to the conclusion (again, and will again and again) that if you are not yourself, and your music isn't you, who the hell is it? who are you copying? WHY are you copying, to please an unnamed screener holed up someplace that half the time doesn't for some reason understand or have the LIFE experience to understand what the hell you're doing? can we not trust in ourselves (many of us do it well, by the friggin' way) to communicate to the vast masses out "there," in ways that they will understand, if only a screener would pass it on. can't forget the critique i received on one of my few country tunes, that STARTED, "i almost forwarded this song...." what? no lie. thanks buddy, kick me in the groin. but for some minor crap that nobody will ever get but you sitting there trying to find something wrong with the tune, 'cuz it's your job, and taxi has so much cred to lose....ok, you've got me going, i need to shut up now. sorry folks. i know some of you have undying and oblivious trust in all that taxi does. i don't. i understand the concepts, but i for one can't. or i would have quit by now, but never, ever will...some of you think that i personally am getting better, when actually i'm still submitting the tunes that i believe in--same music, mostly same lyrics, sometimes shined up a little more so TAXI will listen, then maybe somebody else. too much rejection can lead to infection, so i agree with steve's suggestion--be yourself, (but whatever it is, do it well!!out for the night, sleep tight,heinsite

silvercord
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by silvercord » Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi Erica~i am still trying to stream it..no luck yet..but i am watching caught her on your home pagegreat! you have distribution from Projekt? thats awesomei have been listening to black tape for a blue girl back since like 95!; )

diogenes
Impressive
Impressive

Post by diogenes » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:36 am

Thats a killer song! I really like your voice. The cello is awsome too.

blujonny
Active
Active

Post by blujonny » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:27 am

The song is sort of on the fence. I will say that nothing stands out. I think the darkness of the song is relevant, I just feel that there is a certain mundaneness and apathy that seem to "stunt" the emotion of the song. And it seems very predictable. I'm thinking this might just be a rough version as there is far too little going on instrument wise to consider this a finished product. The vocals seem too complacent and lack definition and any personality. As far as small things go, I think you come into the song slightly to soon. Also, the transition from the first verse to the first chorus seems off and the dramatic transition is not smooth. The song is definitely intrigueing and does have an engaging quality all the way through.