New Desk/Any Rack Gear Recommendations?

Tell us about your studio and post some photos no matter how modest or robust it is!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

New Desk/Any Rack Gear Recommendations?

Post by riffsthatrule » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:20 pm

Hey everyone!

Just put together a new desk a couple days ago/rearranged my studio and thought I'd share.

https://assets.soundgym.co/studios/Z9O1RWSH.jpg
https://assets.soundgym.co/studios/KCYX02N9.jpg

Also, was wondering if you guys have any suggestions for any first pieces of outboard gear to look into as I now have a bunch of empty rack spaces (which is pretty dangerous :lol:)

Any thoughts would be great!

Thanks,

Jason

superkons
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New Desk/Any Rack Gear Recommendations?

Post by superkons » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:59 pm

Lovely setup, and I totally love the skull on the amp!
Marco - Pianist, keyboardist, composer for film/TV/games/media

https://musicalwizardry.com
https://soundcloud.com/marcoiannello

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by riffsthatrule » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:44 pm

superkons wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:59 pm
Lovely setup, and I totally love the skull on the amp!
Thanks Marco!

I’ll send you one😉

Now I just gotta fill up those rack spaces :D

shalashaska888
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by shalashaska888 » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:14 am

Agree with you on the rack mounts, I have 8 spaces on my new desk too. Currently have a power conditioner and a 12-channel Alesis rack mixer. Hoping to upgrade my Boss GT-100 to a Kemper soon like you...I mean, I have the rack space, no reason not to...

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by riffsthatrule » Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:57 am

shalashaska888 wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:14 am
Agree with you on the rack mounts, I have 8 spaces on my new desk too. Currently have a power conditioner and a 12-channel Alesis rack mixer. Hoping to upgrade my Boss GT-100 to a Kemper soon like you...I mean, I have the rack space, no reason not to...
Definitely! It’s fun to plan it all out.

That’s a good idea as well, protect the gear with a Furman. Gonna have to snag one of those for sure.

The Kemper is great though, totally worth it.

shalashaska888
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by shalashaska888 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:15 pm

riffsthatrule wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:57 am
shalashaska888 wrote:

That’s a good idea as well, protect the gear with a Furman. Gonna have to snag one of those for sure.

Have you used any modelers besides the Kemper? Just curious how they stack up. Seems that Axe FX and Kemper are the two top dogs.

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by riffsthatrule » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:26 pm

shalashaska888 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:15 pm
riffsthatrule wrote:
shalashaska888 wrote:

Have you used any modelers besides the Kemper? Just curious how they stack up. Seems that Axe FX and Kemper are the two top dogs.
I have used a few versions of the Axe, Eleven Rack and the Line 6 Helix. Also, I haven’t used the Headrush but have heard good things about it. Another one that is brand new and coming out soon is Neural DSPs “Quad Cortex”. It’s siiiiccckkk! Tried it at this years NAMM and that thing is definitely up there with the Axe and Kemper no doubt. I was actually kinda pissed after I played it ‘cause it sounded so great and I had just bought the Kemper haha. Definitely worth looking into.

Anyway, I would definitely say Axe and Kemper are still the top dogs for sure but the Quad Cortex is gonna be right along side them when it comes out. Thing sounds great! The Axe is way more customizable but you can profile your amps with the Kemper which is awesome and it’s a bit more simplistic, which I like. It’s pretty much personal preference but you can go wrong with any of the ( soon to be three) top dogs.

Hope that helps!

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:03 am

This looks interesting: The Hook Wizard. Dummy Load for Di, Tubes, Presets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDUi9vX ... =28&t=429s

riffsthatrule
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by riffsthatrule » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:40 pm

lesmac wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:03 am
This looks interesting: The Hook Wizard. Dummy Load for Di, Tubes, Presets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDUi9vX ... =28&t=429s
Yeah! This seems pretty cool!

It's tough to choose with all this gear taunting us all the time haha. I was also thinking it'd be sweet to get one of these (https://bit.ly/34BLIMP) to track with the amps I already have.

Have you tried one of these out?

shalashaska888
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by shalashaska888 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:18 pm

riffsthatrule wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:26 pm
shalashaska888 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:15 pm
riffsthatrule wrote:

I have used a few versions of the Axe, Eleven Rack and the Line 6 Helix. Also, I haven’t used the Headrush but have heard good things about it. Another one that is brand new and coming out soon is Neural DSPs “Quad Cortex”. It’s siiiiccckkk! Tried it at this years NAMM and that thing is definitely up there with the Axe and Kemper no doubt. I was actually kinda pissed after I played it ‘cause it sounded so great and I had just bought the Kemper haha. Definitely worth looking into.

Anyway, I would definitely say Axe and Kemper are still the top dogs for sure but the Quad Cortex is gonna be right along side them when it comes out. Thing sounds great! The Axe is way more customizable but you can profile your amps with the Kemper which is awesome and it’s a bit more simplistic, which I like. It’s pretty much personal preference but you can go wrong with any of the ( soon to be three) top dogs.

Hope that helps!
All good info. I've seen a few videos of the Neural Quad Cortex and I agree it looks pretty great. Will be interesting to see how that stacks up against the Axe and Kemper, especially as far as price goes.

Seems like the general consensus is that the Kemper is simpler whereas the Axe is more geared towards people that like to tweak. Still leaning towards the Kemper myself, especially seeing as it has the built-in power amp.