NEW Driving Rock Instrumental Listing ( TAXI # S240229VG)

Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

NEW Driving Rock Instrumental Listing ( TAXI # S240229VG)

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:51 am

This is perhaps a good one for the esteemed "old timers" here on the forums - I would like to know how to read between the lines on this one..i.e.,

1.) Do they want 2 minutes of the same riff?? No bridge etc?? I have been struggling with listings such as these as of late.... "What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!"

2.) Must I use live drums on this?? I can, but it is a PIA....I am pretty good at making EZ3 or Superior Drummer 3 sound very believable.... "Focus on Drum, Bass, and Guitar and avoid synthetic instrumentation." This doesn't bode well for drum samples now does it?? And lastly - What if I layer samples on top of live drums? (which I often do anyway...:)

Any and all responses are appreciated in advance as always!

Instrumental
[NEW LISTING]
DRIVING, RIFF-DRIVEN ROCK INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a very successful boutique Music Library that's distributed by Universal for placements in Sports and Action Programming.

This is a catalog you want to be in! Please listen to the following examples the company's CEO gave us to get yourself in the stylistic ballpark of what they need:

Instrumental Examples

Quoting the Library: "We're looking for high-energy Rock for Sports programming and Action with a confident, a**-kicking attitude and mood. Drums need to be kicking and the general production value needs to be top-notch. Focus on Drum, Bass, and Guitar and avoid synthetic instrumentation. Also, no "lead guitar" melodies, solos or the like: It's much more about having a great riff."

Please submit Rock Instrumental Cues with tons of blood-pumping energy that could work well for a Sports broadcast or highlight reel! Your submissions should have catchy, riff-driven melodies, rockin' grooves, and confident, dynamic arrangements with forward motion while keeping it simple. We know it's difficult to refrain, but this is NOT the opportunity to showcase your guitar solo skills! Rock instrumentation that's in the general stylistic wheelhouse of the references will work best (guitar, bass, drums, etc.) Please be sure that any virtual instruments or samples you use are high-quality and realistic-sounding.

TIPS FROM THE LIBRARY TO HELP YOU NAIL THIS PITCH: "Many composers throw in way too many ideas and are not focused on ONE CENTRAL MOTIF: they try to keep things interesting by adding new harmonic lines and elements (melodies, even improvisations, etc) instead of focusing on the production and textures. What I'm looking for is basically: obvious production music (in form and structure), that sounds like commercial music (production style)." Put simply, keep it SIMPLE! We know that other Libraries like to receive music with complementary A and B sections, but this Library is NOT one of them – stick with ONE CENTRAL MOTIF per submission, please!

All submissions should be about 2 minutes long, give or take. Good edit points and non-faded, buttoned/stinger endings are required. Do NOT copy the references in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, texture, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

NOTE: This company has a strong preference for composers who understand music licensing companies and how typical music library deals are structured. If that's not you, they politely ask that you don't submit to this request. If you're an experienced producer who can deliver the goods in this genre, they're especially interested in hearing what you can do!

This Music Library offers an EXCLUSIVE deal with a cool twist. You’ll keep 50% of all gross income generated by your music, plus you’ll get 100% of the Writer’s share income generated by your PRO. In other words, if the company licenses your music under a blanket deal, you’ll get income. If they license it for a YouTube video, you’ll get income. Not all music libraries pay you for things like that! The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share.

Because this is an Exclusive deal, the music you submit for this pitch cannot already be signed with other Libraries or Publishers. You must own or control 100% of your Masters and Copyright. Please send as many Instrumental Cues as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Thursday, February 29th, 2024. TAXI # S240229VG

TAXI # S240229VG
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Re: NEW Driving Rock Instrumental Listing ( TAXI # S240229VG)

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:55 am

Sorry, here is the link to the reference tracks for the above listing "NEW Driving Rock Instrumental" (TAXI # 240229VG)
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/jccb061y ... du5xs5l5zi

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:02 pm

Despite what I said in another post about keeping things developing, this library seems to be an exception that doesn't mind repeating sections (unlike any library I've dealt with so I'd like to get in this one ;)). I've seen listings from them before but I wouldn't expect you'll get away with those things with most other libraries.

No they don't want 2 minutes of just the same riff though. I'd spent a few minutes with both ref tracks noting the structures, how the sections repeat with or without some of the parts, or drums only, or drums and bass only, or as stripped-back versions. You could copy those structures exactly with your own riffs/chords/drums/bass lines, or use a similar structure along the same lines. It should be an easy job for a change because once you've got 8 bars of drums, bass and layered guitar parts (plus another 8 bars of a more basic drum and bass pattern) you've probably got all you need. Its then a case of copying/pasting the sections and arranging them to flow in a similar fashion to the refs until you've got 2 minutes, then slap on a good ending 8-) .

That's my interpretation of the brief, but I can't guarantee that the screeners won't revert to type and say you need more development. :roll: :lol:
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:56 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:02 pm

That's my interpretation of the brief, but I can't guarantee that the screeners won't revert to type and say you need more development. :roll: :lol:
Yeah, that would be a SHOCKER! lol

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:06 pm

BradleyHagen wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 9:51 am
.... "Focus on Drum, Bass, and Guitar and avoid synthetic instrumentation." ...
I read this as "guitars, bass drums, and PLEASE NO SYNTH KEYBOARDS" :lol:
The listing adds the boilerplate line about making sure any VIs are realistic-sounding, so in-the-box drums will be OK. JM2C

I can't wait to hear what you come up with, Bradley, as I've heard your productions and they rock!!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:42 am

BradleyHagen wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:56 pm
Telefunkin wrote:

So, you could hedge your bets and introduce shakers and tamby into any repeating sections (and don't forget more cow bell ;))
Speaking of bets, mine's on you acing this listing as its all your strong suits.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:38 am

AlanHall wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:06 pm
BradleyHagen wrote:
The listing adds the boilerplate line about making sure any VIs are realistic-sounding, so in-the-box drums will be OK. JM2C

I can't wait to hear what you come up with, Bradley, as I've heard your productions and they rock!!
What a great compliment Alan! Right back at ya!

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sun Feb 11, 2024 8:39 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2024 2:42 am
BradleyHagen wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 1:56 pm
Telefunkin wrote:

So, you could hedge your bets and introduce shakers and tamby into any repeating sections (and don't forget more cow bell ;))
Speaking of bets, mine's on you acing this listing as its all your strong suits.
I plan on it! But..... after I fix some horns! (another topic...)

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:32 pm

Links to ref tracks again.... for the above listing "NEW Driving Rock Instrumental" (TAXI # 240229VG)
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/jccb061y ... du5xs5l5zi

Geez, I hate to bag on someone else's art, but that second ref track isn't very good IMHO - It sounds like a bad 1990s Alesis HR-16 drum machine with ??? (I dont know what) playing over it....
What am I missing here?? I don't even know what do take from that reference....Any thoughts?? What is the point that the library is trying to get across with that track?? That the bar is low?? lol I am really baffled by this folks, and again, not trying to dis anyone

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Wed Feb 21, 2024 12:57 am

AlanHall wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2024 5:06 pm
BradleyHagen wrote:

If you like Rock and Roll.... Alan...I have a couple of face melters coming up... for this brief, and another.... RAWK!!! lol