New features for TAXI thoughts

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

New features for TAXI thoughts

Post by BradleyHagen » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:08 pm

HELLO ALL-
I have only been a member since October, but am really digging TAXI so far, and would like to throw out a couple of suggestions for those in charge -

1.) Keep the listing links, AND ref track links active for 30 days after the listing expires..... It is becoming a PIA to have to copy and paste the ENTIRE listing, and each and every Ref track link on Review Station or Peer to Peer forums. I don't know why this is the way it is, and I cannot think of any good reason for this either...

2.) DISPATCH- I signed up for it, but am having a hard time seeing any real benefit from the briefs. If TAXI wants to offer a premium add on service to the basic membership? How about something like this:

a.) MAKE DISPATCH a premium add on service that allows for revisions - Give Dispatch subscribers the opportunity to REVISE ANY return and resubmit within a very short time frame. Charge the $5.00 again, fine....whatever.... Dispatch seemingly was initially set up as a short deadline thing at first anyway right??
b.) Keep track of submission metrics on DISPATCH..... If someone revises 100 submissions, and they still have a low or zero % forward rate? Then limit how many revisions that they are able to make until their metrics improve, and if there is zero improvement - do not allow them to re-subscribe at the end of the year. Just about every E-Commerce marketplace on the internet does this now, and it encourages accountability. This would also cut down on the amount of revisions being screened, AND compel composers to really pay attention to the initial return feedback, AND improve the quality of stuff being forward by TAXI. WIN WIN WIN for all!

Anyhoo....just my two cents
Bradley Hagen Productions
Bradley Hagen (702) 513-5320
www.bradleyhagenproductions.com

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New features for TAXI thoughts

Post by AlanHall » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:22 pm

Bradley,
Regarding item #1: If a listing expires, and one wants to talk about a submission they made, it is possible for the 'submitee' to follow the link in "feedback on past submissions" page to see the text. BUT (and I just tried this) that link is not valid if I am not signed into my member page. It goes to the general listings page like every other invalid link. The workaround is to copy and paste the text into a forum post, as we have ever and always been forced to do.

So why is this a good thing to know? Because I (or anyone who submitted to that listing) can still get the text and post it even after the listing is closed, which is not possible under any circumstance for those who didn't submit. While this does not actually address the desire you expressed, it does provide a way to share the listing with others "after the fact".

I have no comments on dispatch, personally, I think I'd need to be getting a forward rate of significantly better than 50% before I signed up. YMMV

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:26 am

Hi Alan-
Yeah, I was just trying to suggest a way that folks could receive a return, and have the opportunity for a revision and second submission. Obviously TAXI would have to make more money in order to hire the extra screeners, etc so why not make Dispatch a premium add-on service that allows for THAT? And having metrics based on how many revisions are forwarded would cut down on the amount of revisions, and improve the quality of revisions. Good for TAXI, good for us....There seems to be many folks on here that are new (like me) that have difficulty understanding the listings, and the whole "one time shot" deal is tough. I mean, if a return is over a missing chorus hook? I would go back into my studio and fix it in about 2 hours...DONE! Production issues? Easy Peasy! Length of track? 5 minute fix....You see where I am going with this....

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:15 pm

BradleyHagen wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:26 am
I was just trying to suggest a way that folks could receive a return, and have the opportunity for a revision and second submission.
If you've watched enough Taxi TV episodes you'll know this is never gonna happen. The screeners have other jobs, Taxi is just a side gig when they have time. There is no guarantee the same screener would be available to re-screen everything.

And if they did...and it still doesn't get over the quality bar...then what? How pissed are you going to be about paying extra for a double rejection?

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Sun Apr 14, 2024 7:36 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:15 pm
BradleyHagen wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:26 am
I was just trying to suggest a way that folks could receive a return, and have the opportunity for a revision and second submission.
If you've watched enough Taxi TV episodes you'll know this is never gonna happen. The screeners have other jobs, Taxi is just a side gig when they have time. There is no guarantee the same screener would be available to re-screen everything.

And if they did...and it still doesn't get over the quality bar...then what? How pissed are you going to be about paying extra for a double rejection?
I didn't consider the "same screener having to go over the track again" scenario.....
And I for one, wouldn't get pissed about paying an extra $5.00 plus a premium subscription for this service - Not one bit
And lastly, my whole idea of a "metrics" system would weed out the folks that do NOT get over the quality bar, thereby cutting down on revisions rquests
I don't know Mark, a girl can dream!!!

RPaul
Impressive
Impressive

Post by RPaul » Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:31 pm

BradleyHagen wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:08 pm
1.) Keep the listing links, AND ref track links active for 30 days after the listing expires..... It is becoming a PIA to have to copy and paste the ENTIRE listing, and each and every Ref track link on Review Station or Peer to Peer forums. I don't know why this is the way it is, and I cannot think of any good reason for this either...
While someone else has already commented about getting to the listings after the fact, I'll mention what I do on this topic -- usually not for purposes of posting in the forums, though it can also sometimes be helpful for that purpose -- in case it might be of use.

Anytime I'm at least thinking of submitting to a listing (typically a relatively small minority of the listings that come across), I paste that listing into a OneNote page I call "TAXI Opportunities", that I usually put in submission deadline date order, so that I can track what I'm considering that is still open (I delete the entries after I either decide not to submit or the deadline has expired and I've run out of time). If I do submit, I put the entry on a TAXI Submissions page (I keep those organized by quarters) where I also add what songs I've submitted and later add any feedback I've received, including whether the listing was returned or forwarded.

Doing this allows me to go back at any point, even years later if needed. Beyond the potential for posting info in the forum (relatively rare for me), it allows me to review some of my song history later for whatever reason. For example, because I've written a number of songs specifically for listings, I can search through my submissions for the song in question and look at the listing, and know exactly what served as the initial seed idea for the song. One way I've used this information is in writing "story behind the song" blog entries and introducing my original songs on the live front.

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:20 am

RPaul-
THis is a really good idea, and I think I will give it a try! Thanks!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:31 am

Hey Brad and folks
There is a link that not many people are aware of. You can see expired listings here: https://www.taxi.com/past_listings/adult%20contemporary
It may only go back 1 year but that's plenty.

:D Casey

BradleyHagen
Impressive
Impressive

Post by BradleyHagen » Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:38 am

Thanks Casey- I really appreciate it!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:13 pm

People have been making these types of suggestions (except the one about seeing expired listings) for as long as I've been around here and that's 20 years. None of them are practical, sometimes Michael addresses all the issues and problems associated with the ideas.

My suggestion is don't try to change someone else's business model. Make the best use of what is offered.

:D Casey

PS Many of us work with music libraries, sync agents, etc. who only give you a Yes/No answer. You never know why. At least with Taxi you get an explanation, whether or not you agree with it.