New guy here!!

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

New guy here!!

Post by CEMundt » Thu Oct 07, 2021 11:52 pm

Hey guys and gals!

My name is Chad Mundt, and I’m a just starting up here at Taxi. I live out near Youngstown, OH, in the boonies. I lived in the city and in the country. I’d take cow manure over smog any day of the week!

I’ve have formal training on the double and electric basses formally and have a music degree in Jazz. Jazz Hands! :roll: I’ve been playing the gitter for about 25 years now. I sing alright and can get by on the keys.

Yeah, my studio is being assembled, but it was beautiful 6 months ago, you know, relatively. Is it most definitely a home studio…

I’ve engineered and produced a few bigger names such as the Rebirth Brass Band. Right now, I work for a company in Cranberry that preserves and digitizes tape media. Man, it is cool when we come across old shows by Chick Corea (miss you dude) or Miles. Lots of Brecker go through my decks, lots of native Canadian chanting too! :?

I like to write R&B, pop, country, and electronica (you know, whatever is in my ear at the moment), but my favorite is finger style acoustic guitar. I’m looking forward to jumping into the instrumental and cue listings. You’ll see my music at the beginning of the year.

Here’s a question! Can I post some of my music in this topic as an introduction? :)

jdstamper
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New guy here!!

Post by jdstamper » Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:01 pm

Hi Chad, and welcome from a "neighbor" in Indiana.

I suppose you could post music on this General Hangout board, but I think it might be a better fit on the Shameless Self Promotion board (if you just want to share) or the Peer To Peer board (if you're looking for feedback).

You may want to start with just a few tracks since most forum members aren't seeking whole albums or catalogs for listening.

All of the above is just my opinion of course.

Good luck to you

Jim
Jim Stamper
Production Music ... from Underscore to Overdrive
https://www.taxi.com/members/jimstamper

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CEMundt » Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:28 am

I’m looking forward to participating, Jim. Thanks!

Stanton

Post by Stanton » Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:23 pm

Hello CEMundt,

New guy here as well , just joined this week. I lived in Akron for 5 years. I think we had 4.9 years of rain. first any suggestions on software that I can use to digitize my old Sony Hi8 tapes?

More importantly to Cemundt or to any experienced Taxi users--- What DAWs seem to be the most popular? ( excluding ProTools). I am presently just using Garage band, but would like to move up. Anyone using Abelton or Logic? I have an Akai MPK249 controller, but have not hooked it up yet.

Presently doing mostly recording of real instruments but plan on moving into cues as this seems the new hot focus now.

Thanks for any help

Stanton

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Oct 29, 2021 4:38 pm

Stanton wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:23 pm
More importantly to Cemundt or to any experienced Taxi users--- What DAWs seem to be the most popular? ( excluding ProTools). I am presently just using Garage band, but would like to move up.
They're all so good these days and they mostly do the same thing it doesn't really matter which one you use, the best DAW is the one you know inside out.

Your obvious choice is Logic Pro because Garageband is essentially a slimmed down version of it and your old projects will be compatible. There will be a much smaller learning curve than if you went to anything else by keeping it in the same family.

Mark

CEMundt
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by CEMundt » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:19 am

Stanton wrote:
Thu Oct 28, 2021 9:23 pm
Hello CEMundt,

New guy here as well , just joined this week. I lived in Akron for 5 years. I think we had 4.9 years of rain. first any suggestions on software that I can use to digitize my old Sony Hi8 tapes?

More importantly to Cemundt or to any experienced Taxi users--- What DAWs seem to be the most popular? ( excluding ProTools). I am presently just using Garage band, but would like to move up. Anyone using Abelton or Logic? I have an Akai MPK249 controller, but have not hooked it up yet.

Presently doing mostly recording of real instruments but plan on moving into cues as this seems the new hot focus now.

Thanks for any help

Stanton
Hi Staton!

Nice to see someone from home! If you visit, let me know, maybe we can do some collab or just meet up for coffee.

As far as Hi8s, we use Final Cut Pro, but the biggest issue is having the player and A/D equipment, of course. If you have 20 tapes, that’s one thing. If you have 2000, find a company (such as mine) to do them for you. I don’t spend a ton of time with video, so I can’t answer every question, but I do know the people and see them everyday.

As far as DAWs, I personally like Cubase. I also use Ableton at times, but it is missing some important features, not the least of which are navigation options and customizable keyboard shortcuts/macros. Ableton tends to be used by people who are into loops, DJs, and electronic musicians. It has a composition mode that allows loops to be played from a grid, you’ll have to check it out yourself to see what I mean. I’m not 100% on this, but Ableton Live Lite may be free.

A lot of people swear by Logic. Both Ableton and Cubase are mucho $$$.

Chad