New Irish tune ( sort off )

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

soundcircel
Active
Active

New Irish tune ( sort off )

Post by soundcircel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:12 am

at http://www.soundcircel.com/green.htmlyou can find my latest track called : A little bit off Green

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: New Irish tune ( sort off )

Post by jeffe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:06 am

I had a listen. It was quite a pleasant tune. Though I'm going to be a bit fussy when it comes to a comparison to trad. Irish music.I don't think it sounds very much at all like Irish music. That has nothing to do with the instrumentation. It's all in the song.I quite liked the song in it's own capacity. I would have liked to have heard a bit more variation to the second half.The music in Irish song is just one small element of it. A lot of it is based around movement. If you ever saw a show called "Riverdance" you'd know what I'm talking about.See if you can get some video of irish folk dancing.I also highly recommend you watching 'Riverdance' and feeling the music. It's amazing the things that show stirs up from just watching a group of dancers.To successfully develop that sort of music, you have to be familiar with the movement side of it too.Shows to watch before you die:"Riverdance"That'll have you running for your keyboards with inspiration.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

soundcircel
Active
Active

Post by soundcircel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:21 am

It was inspired by the Riverdance Every year with christmas we see those shows on TV.every year i say to myself "need to write a tune like that"It was not or is my intention to write an orginal irish tune.Just wanted to see if i could get the feeling off it.I think that the intro melody ( violin, flute, guitar ) is getting that feelafter that i "do" my own thing and wander off

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:31 am

I can see the comparisons, and if that was your intention then I'd say you achieved it.I thought after reading the text on the site that the song was mean't to be in that vein. However, if you say it is only loosely that then ok.It's an interesting piece. I'd be interested to know what other influences are in the music. I can normally pick that sort of thing out, but I had a bit of difficulty finding comparisons in this. Perhaps I had my Shamrock hat on and was concentrating too much on the Irish theme.That may well be a good thing

soundcircel
Active
Active

Post by soundcircel » Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:57 am

because i have my roots in classical music.i alway's end up with putting classical elements in my music.In this song it is the slow dramatic string section.The way i use the chords in that area, the melodies etc.etc.my guitar parts are influenced by the modern style playing artists such as :steve vai and joe satriani, however i try to avoid it as much as possible but sometime you just have too it's too much fun :lol:There are a lot of small influences.soembody mentioned on another site that it has influences from Bali ?I called it a little bit off green, because for me Ireland is green so : a little bit of ireland

westborn

Post by westborn » Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:25 am

I'm far from an Irish critique, but I'll try. I always hate those critique shows. The A & R people come knowing they are there for a critique...so they critique even if it's perfect.Anyhow, I like the line. Starting with the fiddle is to predictable. Start with the string patch. That had the smoothest sound. Listen to the tracks and what ever is jumping out too much...I'd dump that. The electic key sound is a bit too electric and the song doesn't need it at all.The fiddle parts, flute, strings and Low toms are the best qualities in the song. I'd build off that. It almost has a theatrical aspect to it. That's why the others keep referencing the River Dance ditty. Yours has a Las Vegas show appeal. I just saw KA in Vegas and it was awesome. Music had the big toms thundering in the distance, indian tribes dancing, etc.I think you have a good product to build on and for a first run/try at green, its great. Just clean it and build on it and they will come.Jamesout4now

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by jeffe » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:52 am

Now there's a name I like."Joe Satriani"

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:16 am

I like the vibe of the piece, it has the feel and drama that give it that ancient feel.I'd like to hear the lead synth as a member of the band on the same ambient level as the flute and the fiddle. I imagine that everyone in the band, (synth player included) is on a stage. The synth player is playing his axe through a guitar amp on stage and it's miked through the PA.The soundman has managed not to go deaf over the years (a rarity) and has EQ'd some highs off of the lead synth, which makes it blend better with the rest of the band and still stand out as a lead instrument but is less jarring when it comes in playing its 16th notes.If you were able to pull this off, the piece would work better, IMO. Right now it can't decide whether it's an electronic piece or an electro/acoustic piece.Roll some highs off the lead synth and put it in the same room as the others and see if that makes a difference, laddy. Mazz, 25% Irish, 25% Italian, 50% BS
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

soundcircel
Active
Active

Post by soundcircel » Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:41 am

Thanks for listening and your comments.They are sure worthy and helpfull.One thing though, there is no synth in this song ?

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:35 am

I meant whatever the melody sound that alternates with the flute and the fiddle is. It sounded synthy to me. Maybe because it's tone is so different and it lives in a different sonic space, it came across as a directly recorded synth. What is that instrument? Is it a guitar?Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!