New Member: First Submissions (Modern Country or Country Pop Songs)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SteveAlton
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

New Member: First Submissions (Modern Country or Country Pop Songs)

Post by SteveAlton » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:00 pm

New Member here...

I do Country & decided to join TAXI. I am submitting a few tracks for this listing. As an Artist, I have completed tracks that will either fit or won't. My gifting is not writing to listings as of yet. That said, I have some tracks which may fit certain listings. The reference tracks are sometimes difficult to measure up against as my Country sound is a little unique as an Artist...Anyways I am gonna submit a few songs, & want your opinion on the subs...

Here are 2 Tracks I am gonna submit for sure. Both have TV Commercial capabilities, in fact the second tune though a Ballad, should find a home IMO as either a Jewelery Commercial (I did one for Kay Jewelers they never looked at included here) or Wedding/Hallmark type stuff. There are other tunes on my Channel, but these 2 are what I feel are strongest for this listing. What can I expect ? I am sure I am making some newbee mistakes here. Thoughts?

https://www.taxi.com/members/XA5KuLzyQ7 ... -holdin-on ("Holdin' On")

https://www.taxi.com/members/XA5KuLzyQ7 ... -last-love ("First Love, Last Love")

https://youtu.be/bUm7zf_bSt8. (30 second commercial clip "First Love, Last Love")

LISTING

Lots of MODERN COUNTRY or COUNTRY POP SONGS with Male or Female Vocals are needed by a very active and fast-growing Music Licensing Company that specializes in music for BIG TV Commercials.

This client is looking for several (we'd guess about 10) Mid-To-Up-Tempo Songs that could fit in the general ballpark of the following references:

“10,000 Hours” by Dan + Shay, Justin Bieber

“Better Luck Next Time” by Kelsea Ballerini

“Beer Can’t Fix” by Thomas Rhett ft. Jon Pardi

IMPORTANT NOTE: The bar will be really high for this request, and only the best of the best will be forwarded. Our A&R team will have a simple mandate: Is it GREAT? Is it super current? Can you imagine hearing it in Film and TV? Does it sound ready to go as it is? And of course, does it match the style requested?

Please submit Contemporary Country Songs that sound like they could be on a playlist with what's on today’s modern Country radio stations and/or charts. Be sure your submissions have a Contemporary Country production sound with instrumentation that’s commonly found in Modern Country music. Songs with catchy melodies, great lyrics, mainstream-sounding choruses, and polished vocal performances should help you nail this request.

They didn't request specific lyric themes; however, lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, brands, places, and profanity could make your Songs more appealing for sync placements. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or Songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a guide for texture, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast quality is needed.

This company offers a NON-EXCLUSIVE, 50/50 split. You’ll split all upfront sync fees 50/50. You'll get 100% of the Writer's share. The Publisher will get 100% of the Publisher’s share. You’ll keep 100% of the original copyright. You must own or control your Masters and Copyright to submit for this pitch. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened by TAXI. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Saturday, August 15th, 2020. TAXI # S200815CP

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New Member: First Submissions (Modern Country or Country Pop Songs)

Post by lesmac » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:11 pm

Both of your tracks sound dated when put up against the references.

They have a big production sound reminiscent of some demo houses and pro studios.

You may have a lot invested in them personally but I don't think they fit for this listing.

You have great talent why don't you keep writing new stuff and stretch yourself. :)

SteveAlton
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveAlton » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:22 pm

lesmac wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:11 pm
Both of your tracks sound dated when put up against the references.

They have a big production sound reminiscent of some demo houses and pro studios.

You may have a lot invested in them personally but I don't think they fit for this listing.

You have great talent why don't you keep writing new stuff and stretch yourself. :)
Thanks, & most of what you say I agree with...Pretty sure I will miss the mark on these tunes since I abhor the current Nashville sound, & I don't write many uptempo songs....I'm submitting because I need Music Row execs to start hearing my stuff & I want their take on it. But yeah, I am aware I don't hit the reference tracks....Just not my style. But they had a discount on TAXI and I joined, so I may as well submit....I am hoping for the best & preparing for the worst...

It's funny you say they are "dated", maybe "Holdin' On" is recorded (2005), but "First Love, Last Love" received a nomination & a final 25 song for the Josie Music Awards September 5th in Tennessee for Song of the Year for CONTEMPORARY COUNTRY , & I also got a finalist nod for MODERN MALE COUNTRY Artist of the Year as a top 18 Finalist out of 30,000 entries. The JMA's is the largest Indy Awards Show in the nation. Funny I got the nomination for "Modern" Country Artist of the Year, & "Contemporary" Country Song of the Year...

Not saying your take is wrong, because I got "my sound" on this tune & it is not what you hear on Country Radio today, & yes it is an INDY Awards, but they got me in the Modern & Contemporary categories..

Currently, I do have a single song recording contract offer from a label in Nashville for "First Love, Last Love" ..... Also a DJ @ A Country Music Station in Los Angeles (largest Country Station in the nation) loves the song, & broke protocol and said I NEED TO FIND A RECORDING CONTRACT. They indicated they would play my tune on this station once & if I get a deal...The Record Label said the song has to do well in lower markets to even get a sniff at that. To have the best shot at this, I would personally need to hire some people on Music Row to work my VIDEO & the song. I am weighing all my options currently.

Anyways, it will be interesting what the listings say on my stuff. I'm probably gonna submit a few tunes on these Country listings & have my azz handed to me.

Either way I appreciate your honesty & you bring home many valid points...

I bought my flight tickets today for the Awards Show

lesmac
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by lesmac » Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Way to go Steve. :)
Currently, I do have a single song recording contract offer from a label in Nashville for "First Love, Last Love" ..... Also a DJ @ A Country Music Station in Los Angeles (largest Country Station in the nation) loves the song, & broke protocol and said I NEED TO FIND A RECORDING CONTRACT.
I'm wondering what having a "recording contract' entails. Does this mean a label producer would nudge the production choices in a particular direction?

SteveAlton
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveAlton » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:22 pm

lesmac wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:28 pm
Way to go Steve. :)
Currently, I do have a single song recording contract offer from a label in Nashville for "First Love, Last Love" ..... Also a DJ @ A Country Music Station in Los Angeles (largest Country Station in the nation) loves the song, & broke protocol and said I NEED TO FIND A RECORDING CONTRACT.
I'm wondering what having a "recording contract' entails. Does this mean a label producer would nudge the production choices in a particular direction?
No, my bad, I should have said "Record Contract"...They want the song & video released as is...There are "A" Nashville Players all over this track already...

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:51 am

Hey Steve, nice work!
I liked them both, but agree they probably don't sound current enough for this particular listing ("Is it super current?"). I would also think they need a younger vocal for this type of listing considering the referenced artists (Bieber and Ballerini), but its mostly the writing (melodies) and the arrangements that dates these songs, imho. I would think country about 10 years ago..

Maybe they could fit better into some Americana listings now? You know these genres are moving targets. Im sure they can find a place down the line, as both songs are solid, well written, produced and performed. It might also better your chances for tv pitches particularly also if you had alt mixes to offer, maybe without vocals and/or lead/solo guitar.

Good luck here in the cab, and welcome! :D
Ceo of my own life

SteveAlton
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveAlton » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:25 pm

Kolstad wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:51 am
Hey Steve, nice work!
I liked them both, but agree they probably don't sound current enough for this particular listing ("Is it super current?"). I would also think they need a younger vocal for this type of listing considering the referenced artists (Bieber and Ballerini), but its mostly the writing (melodies) and the arrangements that dates these songs, imho. I would think country about 10 years ago..

Maybe they could fit better into some Americana listings now? You know these genres are moving targets. Im sure they can find a place down the line, as both songs are solid, well written, produced and performed. It might also better your chances for tv pitches particularly also if you had alt mixes to offer, maybe without vocals and/or lead/solo guitar.

Good luck here in the cab, and welcome! :D
Yeah, you are probably right. I'm gonna submit anyway for the eval. I got a call from TAXI today welcoming me. I was pretty darn impressed with that...That was so cool & unexpected. First Class treatment...

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 am

Hi You have a great voice first off. Only listened to the first song. Too long to get to the chorus. Seems over compressed. The verse has too few words with excessive waiting for the next word? I am not a mixologist, so take these comments lightly. I think if everybody just should tell it exactly like they here it. Nice meeting you
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

SteveAlton
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SteveAlton » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:05 pm

feaker66 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 am
Hi You have a great voice first off. Only listened to the first song. Too long to get to the chorus. Seems over compressed. The verse has too few words with excessive waiting for the next word? I am not a mixologist, so take these comments lightly. I think if everybody just should tell it exactly like they here it. Nice meeting you
No harm no foul...It was recorded in 2005. The damn song is 5 minutes, what was I thinking....You should listen to the 2nd tune when u get a minute. Probably doesn't fit the listing, but it's getting alot of attention

pgboynton

Post by pgboynton » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:54 pm

I was interested in listening to y our songs after the comments that followed.
The links don't get me to them. Am i missing something?
Thanks.