New Member - forwards vs. returns?

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

nater9

New Member - forwards vs. returns?

Post by nater9 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:50 pm

Hey all - new member here, first post. This whole Taxi thing is pretty wild! I've never tried to write or compose something to fit a narrative. So, this has been a big learning experience for me so far. I'm enjoying it very much however.

Anyways, had a question regarding how long it takes to hear back from a screener in the context of forwards vs. returns. I've only made about 12 submissions, so far mostly returns, except I got 1 forward (yeah)! I still have about 6 pending submissions at the moment, and some of them are approaching 4+ weeks with no decision.

In my very limited experience here, when it was returned, it usually took 3-4 weeks. But, my 1 forward, I think I heard back in like 2 weeks.

Do you all notice any correlation between how long it takes to hear back between forwards vs. returns? In other words, when it gets to be 4 weeks or more, starting to feel like it's going to be a return. And Forwards seem to happen much quicker? Any validity to that thought process? Or is it completely unrelated?

Thanks all!

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New Member - forwards vs. returns?

Post by AlanHall » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:52 pm

no correlation

nater9

Post by nater9 » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:11 pm

Thanks Alan. I figured that was probably the case, but wasn't sure... I guess 4+ weeks doesn't mean it's not getting forwarded then. :)

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 pm

there's no room for second-guessing yourself. Write, submit, forget, repeat a wise person once said.

Zaychi
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by Zaychi » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:06 am

They check out all the songs for a listing, then send all the returns and forwards at once. Check out this link to see which songs were forwarded on the listings YOU got a return for:
https://blog.taxi.com/forward/

nater9

Post by nater9 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:40 am

AlanHall wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:40 pm
there's no room for second-guessing yourself. Write, submit, forget, repeat a wise person once said.
Yep, I've heard that phrase a time or two. :)

nater9

Post by nater9 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:40 am

Zaychi wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:06 am
They check out all the songs for a listing, then send all the returns and forwards at once. Check out this link to see which songs were forwarded on the listings YOU got a return for:
https://blog.taxi.com/forward/
Thank you for that Zaychi! I didn't know this existed. I appreciate it!

TrevFury

Post by TrevFury » Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:52 pm

Yeah, Zaychi thanks for that! Being able to hear what was forwarded is super helpful in improving future submissions.
The more I learn about Taxi since joining, the more awesome it seems.

Regarding the length of time to hear back, I've heard Mr. Laskow mention a few times that the screeners begin assessing submissions after the closing date, and he said usually by 3-4 weeks after the closing date they inform us either way. But sometimes it takes longer. They do what they can, and it is what it is.

I do keep hearing the mantra 'write, submit, forget, repeat', and I totally get the wisdom of that. I look forward to gaining the maturity to really embrace the 'forget' part of that! For me it's more 'write, record, mix, scrap and start over, submit 5 min prior to due date, obsess, medicate, go to therapy, repeat'. Not quite as wise or catchy.