New rock instrumental… fit for listing?

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

zacnelson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

New rock instrumental… fit for listing?

Post by zacnelson » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:18 pm

Hello friends! I just finished this brand new track yesterday. It's new in every way - as in new mix template, new approach to guitar and drum sounds, so I feel like it's a good fresh start for me.

I would love some feedback on listings that it may suit. I really like the way this track builds - the real meat of the music comes in at 1:10 where it gets SUPER epic, it's really full-on. That's why I called it `Too Close To The Sun' because it feels like you're burning your face off. But the only way that kind of intensity can work is for the library to listen to the whole track! :( There is a nice hint of the main hook at about 20 seconds in, but it's fairly gentle. I'm fairly confident that the TAXI screeners will listen to the whole track - I hope they don't return it because the song starts slowly!

These are the listings I was considering it for, I'd love it if you could tell me if it's a good fit or not.

U150616PR CINEMATIC POST ROCK INSTRUMENTALS Please submit, trippy, dreamy, Down-to-Mid-Tempo Instrumentals that could be found on the same playlist as acts like Explosions In The Sky, Mogwai, Lights & Motion. Give them Instrumentals that use typical Rock instrumentation in a lush, cinematic, and atmospheric way, with repetitive yet compelling melodic riffs that develop as they progress, while building to anthemic, climactic, crescendos. Easy edit points and buttoned/stinger endings are recommended for this pitch. All submissions should be at least 2 minutes in length.

D150620MR CONTEMPORARY ROCK INSTRUMENTALS are needed by a Music Library that’s distributed on a global basis by a Major Music Publisher. They’re looking for Mid-to-Up Tempo, Rock Instrumentals that could be on a playlist with artists like Muse, 30 Seconds To Mars, AWOLNATION. Give them full-length Instrumentals that are pulsing, aggressive and somewhat edgy, but don’t go too far overboard. Your submissions should have basic Rock instrumentation, plus some Electronic elements as well.

https://soundcloud.com/zacnelson/too-close-to-the-sun

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Re: New rock instrumental… fit for listing?

Post by andygabrys » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:34 pm

nice track.

for the post rock listing - its pretty close except the guitars in the breakdown sections sound too dry to me, and if the drums hit half-time on the big sections instead of the driving regular time it might be closer to the post rock vibe.

just an opinion.

zacnelson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by zacnelson » Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks for the input Andy, I might try that half-time idea, nice one! And maybe a bit of delay on the guitars to add some depth!

daveydad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by daveydad » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:01 am

Love it! To me, it fits the second listing perfectly! I'm thinking it might be a little too aggressive, especially the driving parts, for post rock which is more dreamy/trippy...? Good luck!!

zacnelson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by zacnelson » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:08 am

Great advice Dave! That's very helpful! I have proven to be a horrible judge of TAXI listings over the months I've been a member, so that kind of feedback is just what I'm after!

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Zac,

Sonically it sounds great - so whatever your new approach is it's working.

Watch the warble at the end (3:05), as it distracted me for a second.

I think it's more of a fit for the second of the two listing, specifically because I don't consider this tune to be 'dreamy' and the screeners can be very specific about those type of things!

John

zacnelson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by zacnelson » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:35 pm

Great feedback John, thanks! I'm starting to get a great feel for the right fit for the song now. And thanks for the tip about the warble, I'll look for that.

zacnelson
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by zacnelson » Tue Jun 16, 2015 5:35 pm

Thanks Ottlukk!

Hey Andy, I have just done a new version, featuring a more post-rock disjointed beat with a half-time feel. I left the other instruments the same, except I also added some delay to the guitars in the `verses' as you suggested.

I'd love to know your opinion on these changes if you get the chance!! :D

sabalsounds
Impressive
Impressive

Post by sabalsounds » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:38 am

Zac - I think you nailed this listing. Let us know the response in 30 days or so! :)
“The first draft reveals the art, revision reveals the artist” - Michael Lee

Taxi | Soundcloud