New song - Disparate

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

3pantsred

New song - Disparate

Post by 3pantsred » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:14 pm

Hello there,

If you have the time, or inclination, please have a listen to our latest song called 'Disparate.' We're curious to hear your feelings on the song in general, but also production value, and what its genre might be.

Many thanks in advance!
Mountbatten Songs

My TAXI link: http://www.taxi.com/mountbattensongs
Last edited by 3pantsred on Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: New song

Post by Len911 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:32 pm

oops, bad link, you have to go under "Hosting", and click "my artist info", and the last line you may create your taxi link, which will be http://www.taxi.com/ and then whatever you fill in the box to use as your link.
The me part just goes to my page asking me to log in.
It took me awhile to figure it out,lol, I assumed it automatically done it for you when you signed up, but it doesn't.
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

3pantsred

Re: New song - Disparate

Post by 3pantsred » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:53 pm

Thanks! All fixed up and ready to go!

Post by Guest » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:28 pm

I love this song. Really quirky and fun. I think this would be great for a television / film listing that is asking for a quirky fun pop song. Cheers!

-Jeff

3pantsred

Post by 3pantsred » Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks Jeff!! Appreciate the feedback. Pop eh??

Mary Ann
MountbattenSongs

marcblack30
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by marcblack30 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:25 pm

I'm totally diggin' this song!
I here a little Cardigans - Lovefool in this one, so I guess that would be Pop.

I first thought that the instrumental break might be too long, around 42 seconds, it's cool though, you might be fine.

Marc
-- Marc Blackwell

feaker66
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by feaker66 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:14 pm

Wow

That is very unique.

I love when she says"is kiling me".

It sounds kinda busy, but that might suit it well.

Like to hear that vox come throug a little cleaner.

Sure do hear a lot of creative stuff in here.

Good luck

paul
Thankfully, while growing old is compulsory, growing up remains optional!

https://soundcloud.com/feaker66

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=883613

dano
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by dano » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:30 am

hi -
just listening now..
nice lyrics and concept and overall feel. unique catchy vocals, and cool melody! kindy 70s. kinda ween in the distorted guitar solo.
some details..
I'd like to hear the spacey/delay guitar solo that comes at 1:20 louder.
I'd turn the funky guitar in the right channel down a little, or maybe eq out some high mids.. slightly.
the bass part sometimes gets weak in the verses, especially on the 3rd and 4th beats of certain measures.... i think the groove would benefit from the bass playing stronger there, holding the note on the 4th beat out longer to tie it to the next measure. also, the volume of that 3rd beat is so low there - hitting a strong bass note would make a big difference on that.

it seems you're hitting the stereo bus with some heavy duty compression. i noticed the ride coming through really loud when the other instruments were out of the mix, (at the end for instance) too loud - and that's probably your stereo bus compressor (or limiter) doing that. maybe you could compress more on individual tracks, and less on the stereo bus.

if I were editing and mixing this, I'd spend some time with all the rhythmic parts soloed together, each with the drums, and check at close range how well they line up, perhaps move some things closer together.
also, you probably heard this, but.. there seems to be an extra bongo note or 2 at the end..

hopefully you will find this stuff useful... if you decide to act on any of it, i'd love to hear the results!
best,
Dan

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:33 am

I'd definitely say 'pop' for genre, maybe something a la Gabriella Cilmi ("Sweet about me") with this vocalist.

Im with the fun, quirky pop song comment on this. That would be a great aim.

Production sounds decent, but I think it could be tighter and more focused, now you have a genre reference. Some places the rhythm guitar drops out, and it's audible. I think you should edit out the instrumental break, that was a dead spot for me where I lost interest and felt like zapping. If the genre is pop a la Cilmi (which is my premise for these suggestions), I think the lead guitar is out of place both in phrasing and sound.

I suggest use Cilmi's songs as reference and take inspiration from the instrumentation she has on her records, to get a more focused expression overall. Perhaps add an intro/outro with a signature hook or theme you can use throughout the song (I lacked a little in 'catchyness' IMO).

But I think most of what you have, works already. So it's more the final hit out of bounds that's needed :mrgreen:
Ceo of my own life

heckxx
Impressive
Impressive

Post by heckxx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:16 am

This song has some great vocals, great melodies, great rhythms. But the production definitely has to be tighter, rhythmically speaking. I just hear the tempo weaving in and out, and certain bass lines and guitar lines feel weak because of their lack of command.

Genre-wise, this song has great identity. All of the instruments work, and the vocals definitely fit in here. Just get those rhythms tighter!

-Jeff