Update. Returned New Song for British Invasion Listing

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Update. Returned New Song for British Invasion Listing

Post by Horacemix » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:48 am

Hello Everybody: I'm updating the info to say that I got both songs returned. :?

Hello Everybody:

I'm about to finish a new song and I'd like to make sure I've corrected any problem before pitching.
Also, what do you think about the song itself. What would screeners do, forward or return the song?

Thank you in advance for your review!

Kind regards
ORIGINAL, 1963 to 1965-Style FIRST WAVE of BRITISH INVASION SONGS with Male Vocals are needed by an Indie Label with Major Distribution. This client is currently on the hunt for Songs to include in one of their incredibly popular compilations!

This Label is looking for original Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs that could be found on a playlist with the following references we got directly from them:

"You Can't Do That" by The Beatles

"When You Walk in the Room" by The Searchers

"Do Wah Diddy Diddy" by Manfred Mann

"Look Through Any Window" by The Hollies

"Glad All Over" by The Dave Clark Five

You can submit recently recorded Songs in the general production style of the references; or, if you’ve got any authentic vintage recordings (recorded back in the day), they would love to hear those as well!

Please submit top-notch Songs that embody the vibe and sound of First Wave of British Invasion music between 1963 and 1965. Your submissions should have solid rhythms, rocking guitar parts, memorable melodies, and super catchy choruses. Your production should be high-quality, as well. Compelling, well-performed vocals (nothing pitchy!) complete with great two to three-part harmonies and era-authentic deliveries could help you seal with this Label.

Quoting the Company: "The quality in production and arrangement – the analog warmth – should reflect the era requested. We don't want to hear anything that sounds modern. Especially when it comes to compression – nothing too compressed will work."

Universal lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, and brands would be optimal for this pitch. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. If you're submitting vintage recordings, the sound quality is not expected to be on par with today’s broadcast quality! Era-appropriate Broadcast Quality will work just fine.

The deal points will be negotiated directly with the Label on a song-by-song basis. Please submit as many Songs as you like, online or per CD. All submissions will be screened by a TAXI Screener who has a strong relationship with the Record Label Owner. Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PDT) on Sunday, May 2nd, 2021. TAXI # S210502BV
Last edited by Horacemix on Fri May 14, 2021 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Observation is the raw material for creation...
https://soundcloud.com/horacemix

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: New Song for British Invasion Listing

Post by funsongs » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:06 am

Hello, Horace.
Liking the mono-mix approach to this, and the whole vibe of the song. Very cool.
However - a few things 'stick out' to these old-guy ears:
1) the drums sound a little bit too much like they were recorded in a garage - and back from the mics;
seems they would sit better in the mix if they sounded closer.
2) around the :55 mark - there's something wonky with the piano (?) that comes in... not quite sure how to address that.
3) and just for my own taste - but maybe it'd be too close to a George Harrison/Beatles thing -
but I was wanting to hear some jangly 12-string electric guitar.

Hope some of that helps, and that you can tighten up the loose ends on this track - it's got 'potential' - IMHO.
Cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:29 am

funsongs wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:06 am
Hello, Horace.
Liking the mono-mix approach to this, and the whole vibe of the song. Very cool.
However - a few things 'stick out' to these old-guy ears:
1) the drums sound a little bit too much like they were recorded in a garage - and back from the mics;
seems they would sit better in the mix if they sounded closer.
2) around the :55 mark - there's something wonky with the piano (?) that comes in... not quite sure how to address that.
3) and just for my own taste - but maybe it'd be too close to a George Harrison/Beatles thing -
but I was wanting to hear some jangly 12-string electric guitar.

Hope some of that helps, and that you can tighten up the loose ends on this track - it's got 'potential' - IMHO.
Cheers.
Hello!
Thank you for your advice!
1) OK. Maybe drums need less room's mic.
2) Yes, it's the piano. But I liked the idea of having a not perfect thing since in the 60's minor issues wouldn't be corrected 100% of the times.
3) Good idea, 12 strings would fill the empty spaces in the first and second chorus but, considering I'm sending another song that also has a 12 string, I'm afraid to be repetitive.
Here the second song

Thank you again and I'll post the update of everything later on.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:19 am

Hi, On the first song I'm somewhat in agreement with Peter, that the piano sticks out in the bridge section, although I think sitting it back would probably be enough. The drum sound doesn't bother me at all though. In the solo section I feel like the guitar is fighting for attention with the harmonica, so I'd be tempted to ditch one of them (probably the guitar). Otherwise, I like the track and wish you good luck with it.

On the second song, I think this is a stronger song, so great work there. However, to me the sound seems a little boxy and too ambient, and I'm noticing a slightly abrasive edge in the high-end of the vocals. Overall, I get more of The Monkeys than the British end of things (but the screeners won't be British so they won't recognise the difference) .... J/K!! ;) :lol:
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:24 pm

Telefunkin wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:19 am
Hi, On the first song I'm somewhat in agreement with Peter, that the piano sticks out in the bridge section, although I think sitting it back would probably be enough. The drum sound doesn't bother me at all though. In the solo section I feel like the guitar is fighting for attention with the harmonica, so I'd be tempted to ditch one of them (probably the guitar). Otherwise, I like the track and wish you good luck with it.

On the second song, I think this is a stronger song, so great work there. However, to me the sound seems a little boxy and too ambient, and I'm noticing a slightly abrasive edge in the high-end of the vocals. Overall, I get more of The Monkeys than the British end of things (but the screeners won't be British so they won't recognise the difference) .... J/K!! ;) :lol:
Hello!
Thank you for your comments!
I'll decrease the piano in bridges and the harmonica levels in the solo section.

I'm curious about the British end of things, is it the accent and pronunciation, is it the sound or the composition style?
Regards!

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:01 am

Horacemix wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:24 pm
I'm curious about the British end of things, is it the accent and pronunciation, is it the sound or the composition style?
Regards!
The differences can be subtle and hard to pin down. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I think you did extremely well capturing the vibe of the era.

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:41 am

Telefunkin wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:01 am
Horacemix wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:24 pm
Regards!
The differences can be subtle and hard to pin down. Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it. I think you did extremely well capturing the vibe of the era.
+1
(How many times has 'mood' mattered over 'details'...? :? 8-) 'vibe of the era', in this case: kudos to Graham).
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Horacemix
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Horacemix » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:25 am

Hello everybody!

Well, I've made a few the changes in both song.
I hope they are OK and screeners like them!

Thank you for helping @Telefunkin and @funsongs! You're awesome!

Regards!

eeoo
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by eeoo » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:23 am

I think these are great and you're not going to have any problems finding good publishers who will want an album's worth!

Great stuff.

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Telefunkin » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:15 am

You certainly have two strong submissions there so I wish you well with them.