New Song for Movie Trailer Listing - Dynamite

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

New Song for Movie Trailer Listing - Dynamite

Post by aubreyz » Fri Jul 20, 2007 9:14 am

Whew. What a day. Had several other deadlines but managed to knock out a track for this listing just in time for the deadline:he Music Supervisor for an LA-based Trailer House/Advertising Co. needs a current-sounding, fun & edgy ROCK SONG that will appeal to the 12 to 15-year old demographic for a feature film trailer. Think Hinder, Nickelback, Daughtry, Creed, etc. - that range of post-grunge rock. The film is an action/adventure/fantasy based on a popular book series about an 11-year old boy who learns he has been chosen to fight evil on behalf of the powers of good. Lyrically, the supervisor needs a song with one or more of the following themes: power, fighting evil, time travel, taking a ride. One of the possible catch-phrases they'll use in the trailer will be “The Ultimate Power Trip.” Great performances are essential. Male or female vocals are OK, but male are definitely preferred. Broadcast quality needed. Please submit one to three songs online or per CD, include lyrics. All submissions will be screened on a YES/NO BASIS ONLY - NO CRITIQUES FROM TAXI. For ground submissions, please enclose a S.A.S.E. if you would like a response. As always, we will notify everyone via e-mail, whether your submissions have been Forwarded or Returned. Submissions must be received no later than 2:00 PM, Pacific Standard Time (California time), Friday, July 20, 2007. TAXI # D070720RKWould love to get some feedback. The mp3 is here:DynamiteOur you can check my Taxi hosting page or Broadjam. Here are the lyrics. Thanks!Aub_________________________Fighting fire with fireFighting fire with fireExtraordinarily ordinaryNever meant to be revolutionaryInvolvement was involuntaryEverything real was imaginaryTake me on a power tripPlug me into the lightDestiny was in the darkBut I'm on fire juggling dynamiteTwist your fate it's underratedExpectation is assassinatedComfort zone is annihilatedBy what was not anticipatedTake me on a power tripPlug me into the lightDestiny was in the darkBut I'm on fire juggling dynamiteFighting fire with fireFighting fire with fireTake me on a power tripPlug me into the lightDestiny was in the darkBut I'm on fire juggling dynamiteFighting fire with fireJuggling dynamiteFighting fire with fireI'm on fireFighting fire with fire

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: New Song for Movie Trailer Listing - Dynamite

Post by aubreyz » Sat Jul 21, 2007 7:16 pm

At the risk of just posting to talk to myself.... I wasn't happy with the overall loudness of the last mix, so here's an updated one:DynamiteAub

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:54 am

Quote:At the risk of just posting to talk to myself.... I wasn't happy with the overall loudness of the last mix, so here's an updated one:DynamiteAubbtw--- as I continue to talk to myself I've been without a Sub for a while due to some water damage, and just hooked it back up this week. Don't know if that's it or what, but this particular mix is eating my lunch. I still hate it --- the bass is getting lost, the highs are too much, getting it loud squashes all the definition out of it--- so I'm going back to the mixing board and try to rescue this one.Aub

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:26 am

Aub,Great song! I like the "woo woo's", they remind me of Mick Jagger!I'm listening on small computer speakers right now so I don't hear any low bass but I'm wondering if you have some subsonic frequencies that are triggering the master compressor. I'm sure you know that having those ultra-low frequencies will eat up your headroom as well.I was hearing some mids in the snare and upper bass but the mix overall sounds like it has a bit of a smile curve on it (remember I'm listening on a blunt instrument here so take it with a few grains of salt )Just a few thoughts that you probably already thought of. Keep up the great work!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:14 am

Quote:Aub,Great song! I like the "woo woo's", they remind me of Mick Jagger!I'm listening on small computer speakers right now so I don't hear any low bass but I'm wondering if you have some subsonic frequencies that are triggering the master compressor. I'm sure you know that having those ultra-low frequencies will eat up your headroom as well.I was hearing some mids in the snare and upper bass but the mix overall sounds like it has a bit of a smile curve on it (remember I'm listening on a blunt instrument here so take it with a few grains of salt )Just a few thoughts that you probably already thought of. Keep up the great work!MazzThanks Mazz. A couple of things went wrong on this one. First I pulled an all nighter to hit the deadline, and mixed after a couple hours of sleep--- never a good idea. Next, I had the sub back but had been mixing for weeks without it, AND I changed my reference tracks to some cuts that were mentioned in this listing rather than my old standbys. The combination of all that, and it did end up with the ol' disco smile, which never makes me smile at all. I think I'm already more in the ballpark with the new mix today. Taking a break from it now and then I'll try to remaster it and post the results.Aub

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:43 am

Quote:I've been without a Sub for a while due to some water damageIf I don't do this, someone else will so...What happened? Leaky bulkhead?

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:42 am

Quote:Quote:I've been without a Sub for a while due to some water damageIf I don't do this, someone else will so...What happened? Leaky bulkhead? LOL. You mean I've never mentioned I live in a Yellow Submarine? It's close quarters for my six kids

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:46 am

Well, for what it's worth -- here's the fix. I have to get away from this one now. I already hear those Mick Jagger woooos in my sleep --- that's what happens when you have 28 vocal tracks Dynamite - Master 4Now back to my little submarine Aub

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:59 am

Aub, I like the denser, more full midrange feel. I can hear all the guitar parts and the vocals sit just right.Hope you get some sleep!Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:08 am

Quote:Aub, I like the denser, more full midrange feel. I can hear all the guitar parts and the vocals sit just right.Hope you get some sleep!MazzThanks man. But in the words of the late great Warren Zevon, "I'll sleep when I'm dead". Aub