click submit below

Return to the forum and you should see your signature in yellow

click on it to go to your music

DonaldM
Impressive
Impressive

Re: New Song - One and Only One

Post by DonaldM » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks, Tom...that seemed to solve the problem.

fret17
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by fret17 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:27 pm

Glad I could help Donald....I'd make another posting to invite listeners with "Link Fixed" in the heading....

DonaldM
Impressive
Impressive

Re: New Song - One and Only One - Try again-Link Fixed Now

Post by DonaldM » Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:53 pm

Okay, I think this will get to my page here on Taxi.

One and Only One
http://www.taxi.com/DonaldM

fret17
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by fret17 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:15 pm

DonaldM wrote:Okay, I think this will get to my page here on Taxi.

One and Only One
Donald....you also don't have to type the link anymore...we can now click on your signature and get to your music...cheers

DonaldM
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DonaldM » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:21 pm

fret17 wrote:
DonaldM wrote:Okay, I think this will get to my page here on Taxi.

One and Only One
Donald....you also don't have to type the link anymore...we can now click on your signature and get to your music...cheers
Thanks, Tom. I see that now.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:43 pm

Hi Donald
Cool vibe... You have some really good things here. 8-) I like the vocalist and the general feel is very appealing. Nice stuff. :D I'm only addressing songwriting, not production or engineering. I've listened a few times and really love it personally...

What I'm NOT hearing is a strongly differentiated chorus or at least not something early enough in the song by most commercial standards. I'm assuming this is in the pop genre and without getting to that hooky chorus or hooky tag line rather quickly (45-60 seconds), it will be tough. The hook line doesn't come in until 2 minutes into the song and the parts leading up to it don't sound differentiated from the verse enough. The song really does take off later! It becomes very catchy and infectious later in the song. I just don't know if that is felt before chorus one is done.

So MHO is for pitching this commercially you have to get those good parts much sooner. The patience level of A&R folks is pretty limited. Unless they are captivated early they won't still be listening at the 2 minute mark.

Watch the cliche rhymes and phrases where you can. (Calling out your name/Driving me insane for example)...

Really enjoyed!! And take all opinions with a grain of salt. See what sticks for you.

Best,
Casey

DonaldM
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DonaldM » Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:16 pm

Thanks, Casey. Appreciate your feedback. I think you're right about the hook/chorus on this one. The vocalist took a few liberties with my original melody, which was a bit more defined in that regard. There is a key change from minor to major going into the chorus, but probably alone doesn't give that "hooky" quality you mention.

My friend who worked with me on the mix thinks it sounds like one of those old James Bond movie songs!

nick.moxsom
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nick.moxsom » Thu Dec 09, 2010 2:21 am

Hey, Donald.

Spent twenty minutes last night carefully wording a reply so as not to be rude, and it never saved to the forum, so I guess that was kismet. I'll try again.

I think this is a good song, with an interesting arrangement. BUT, I recognise myself in here, in that your sounds are, imho, dated. That clean, digital guitar is soooooo 80's it's actually distracting. I always fall for the same thing in my own stuff – I go straight for the sounds I loved when I was dancing to them – 30 years ago! I think we all have a natural propensity to do this, but it can be easily overcome with practice.

I'm 51, my tutor at college is 28, and she rips my stuff to shreds because I syncopate guitars, bass and kick drum like Jam and Lewis did. Then I listen to the charts and hear how simplistic all the parts are, I go back and simplify everything, and bang, it sounds modern.

I'd be interested to hear this song with a different treatment – as an artsy sextet a la Penguin Cafe, or maybe leaning more towards the Pet Shop Boys – I'm sure there are a number of different approaches that could work – a good song will come through, whatever.

Hope I haven't offended you, since i haven't even met you (lol). Look forward to hearing more of your stuff.

Nick

DonaldM
Impressive
Impressive

Post by DonaldM » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:04 am

No of course I'm not offended, Nick. I appreciate your honesty. In one sense you paid me a huge compliment in that I kinda wanted to do this one a bit more 80's, just because of the kind of song it is, so in that sense, I guess I succeeded!. But there's no reason I can't do a whole new arrangement, perhaps with a different vocalist. Jave's (the singer) style, though, is more what you heard on this version, so I catered to that more in the arrangement. But I think I'll come up with a whole new version for it.

Thanks again!