New Songwriter

Songwriting, songwriters, etc

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Dean3333

New Songwriter

Post by Dean3333 » Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:41 pm

Hi!

Best advice on how to produce inexpensive demos if you only write lyrics? It would be too costly to hire someone everytime want my lyrics reviewed. Thanks!

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: New Songwriter

Post by Casey H » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:08 pm

Dean3333 wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 3:41 pm
Hi!
Best advice on how to produce inexpensive demos if you only write lyrics? It would be too costly to hire someone everytime want my lyrics reviewed. Thanks!
You have to connect with a music collaborator who can set your words to music and either do production or share the cost of outside production. We have some pure lyricists here who have been successful that way. I suggest you post some of your lyrics in the Collaboration Corner section of this forum. Keep in mind that the better your lyrics in terms of what makes a good song, the more likely you'll get a bite. You mention that you are a new songwriter; getting a look at your lyrics will also help us guide you. What genres are you interested in?

Best,
:D Casey

Also. Never pay a music studio to set your lyrics to music because there are tons of sharks out there that pray on folks. They might use the same melody over and over with different customers. There MIGHT be some honest services out there with so many bad ones, I'd shy away from this.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:47 pm

Dean3333 wrote:
I would imagine it's difficult to get far in sync if you only write lyrics unless they are exceptional. Even AI can churn out servicable lyrics in a matter of seconds now given the right prompt. I think you'd end up spending more than you ever got back if you paid to hire other people.

Personally I would reccommend learning an instrument - guitar or keyboard and embracing the full songwriting experience. You don't need to be a virtuso and there are plenty of tools around to help flesh out songs. Band In a Box springs to mind for example. But only doing lyrics seems like dipping one toe in the water and paying someone else to swim. YMMV.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:00 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 5:47 pm
Dean3333 wrote:
I would imagine it's difficult to get far in sync if you only write lyrics unless they are exceptional. Even AI can churn out servicable lyrics in a matter of seconds now given the right prompt. I think you'd end up spending more than you ever got back if you paid to hire other people.

Personally I would reccommend learning an instrument - guitar or keyboard and embracing the full songwriting experience. You don't need to be a virtuso and there are plenty of tools around to help flesh out songs. Band In a Box springs to mind for example. But only doing lyrics seems like dipping one toe in the water and paying someone else to swim. YMMV.
I agree, the lyrics would have to be excellent. That's because without that, you won't attract the interest from co-writers. I know at least a few Taxi folks well who have been successful writing lyrics only with collaborators they met through Taxi. Dean Taylor, FM Cossey, Amanda West, LyricsMatter, and more.

BTW, although I often write music and lyrics, I do a lot of lyrics-only, I've developed long relationships with other Taxi members who can put my lyrics to music and produce. Of over 60 placements on The Young and the Restless, over 40 have been songs for which I wrote lyrics only. But it takes years of proving your ability and establishing relationships. But it CAN be done.

As I mentioned, you'll have to post some lyrics so we can give you an idea of their marketability-- song structure, universal nature for film/tv, uniqueness (not that we all don't have some cliches), etc. Have you studied any books on lyric writing? Also I recommend the road rally for the learning and the networking with potential co-writers.

HTH

Dean3333

Post by Dean3333 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 7:50 am

Thank you both so much for taking the time to reply. Casey, would you mind reading my lyrics? I know my structure needs help since I’m new and never took a class etc. if so where should I send? Thanks for all the helpful advice. You saved me so much money. I was reading to hire all these people to sing my lyrics!! Not sure if you can listen to the one song I wrote it is in my profile “Rain Rain”. She composed the music on her own I were the lyrics.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:05 am

Casey H wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:00 pm
BTW, although I often write music and lyrics, I do a lot of lyrics-only,
I think having some musical ability also really helps even if you're purely writng the lyrics

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:15 am

Dean3333 wrote:
Hi!
Best advice on how to produce inexpensive demos if you only write lyrics? It would be too costly to hire someone every time want my lyrics reviewed. Thanks!
Hi Dean.
Others have already written excellent replies & advice.
I'm curious to ask if there's a particular subject, style, or genre around which you are most-frequently inspired to write?
OR - subject-matter you avoid?
What music do you like most yourself - what do you listen to that you might emulate?
Some might refer to that as "your lane" - if you know where you'd like to go with those things you like and consider to be your strenths.

Welcome to these forums - it's been a good place from which to start for many who've been where you are.
Every journey starts with the first step. :? :P
Cheers.
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:51 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:05 am
Casey H wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2024 7:00 pm
BTW, although I often write music and lyrics, I do a lot of lyrics-only,
I think having some musical ability also really helps even if you're purely writng the lyrics
Totally agree. First is truly understanding the difference between poetry and song lyrics. I see people post what they think are song lyrics but it is just poetry that doesn't have the structure or cadences needed for songs.

While I have musical understanding and abilities, one technique I use and recommend that can help those with limited musical ability is: Take a known song and write a new set of lyrics that sing to that melody, phrasing, and structure. That has you creating something that truly is song lyrics, not just a bunch of words that wouldn't fit musically.

And yes, if you can't play an instrument at all, a program like Band In A Box can be a good way to start. Set a tempo and style and enter chords measure by measure. You can keep it simple such as using the main chords in the key of C (C Dm Em F G Am). Sing or speak words over the music. Another method would be just to speak the words over a drum loop/beat, getting the timing and phrasing down.

And study popular songs. Read books on lyric writing. Do you have verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus? Highly recommend that tried and true structure that almost all successful songs have.

Dean3333

Post by Dean3333 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:05 am

Thanks! I like all music, probably my least favorite being country. I like anything from easy listening, soft rock, alternative, pop, reggae, oldies. I’m not sure where my writing falls into play at this early stage. I have no music ability. I’ve always liked to write. I’m in my forties but when I was early teen had written hundreds of poems. So it’s just a natural interest. Was taking a crazy walk on the line to try this out.

Dean3333

Post by Dean3333 » Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:13 am

Excellent advice Casey! That’s where I need review. I’m not sure where my writing stands. These are all so very helpful!!!