NEW TO TAXI -1980's submission returned - Looking for Advice

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

letloverule

NEW TO TAXI -1980's submission returned - Looking for Advice

Post by letloverule » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:05 am

Hey there! So excited to be here with all of you. I'm brand new to taxi and looking for feedback help! I honestly just want to learn and get better at this and figured this was the place!
I submitted a song for a 1980's female listing that got returned because "it sounded dated" and "'The singer felt like she was buried in the track. She was overpowered by the backing track and thus, not quite delivering the top notch vocals needed".
Please be honest as in truth I just wanted an excuse to try and get my wife to sing like Pat Benatar :D But the listing called for 80's sounds (which was a lot of fun and far from my singer/songwriter heart)and I used several reference tracks while I was mixing and the vocals seemed to me to be right where theirs were. Take a listen and let me know!

https://www.taxi.com/members/chaddohring
the song is No Retreat No Surrender

this was the listing:
A RANGE OF 1980s Style POP/ROCK SONGS with Female Vocals are needed for several $4,000, NON-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music Supervisor placements in a TV Series.

The Supervisor is looking for Mid-to-Up-Tempo Songs (Vintage or Modern recordings can both work) that have the general style and vibe of the following references we got from him!

“Hit Me With Your Best Shot” by Pat Benatar

“Don't Get Me Wrong” by The Pretenders

“Barracuda” by Heart

“Would I Lie to You?” by Eurythmics

Quoting the Music Supervisor: “I need Songs with hooky, upbeat grooves, well-crafted lyrics, and top-notch vocal performances. These Songs need to feel and sound like the real deal.”

Please submit Pop/Rock Songs that have a believable 1980s sound and style. Your submissions should be reminiscent of the music that was being released at that time, with traditional Rock band instrumentation and memorable choruses. Be sure your submissions also have infectious rhythms and lots of energy!

Lyrics that avoid references to specific names, dates, times, places, brands, and profanity will be appreciated by the Music Supervisor, as they are often easier to place because they don't conflict with the story or the scene. Do not copy the referenced acts or Songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

The estimated license fee for each of these placements is $4,000, depending on the ultimate placements. These will be Direct-to-Music Supervisor placements, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Master and Composition rights, plus you’ll also get 100% of the sync fee and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit as many Songs as you’d like, online or per CD; please include Lyrics. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI. Time permitting, the Music Supervisor himself might be able to screen submissions for this request! Submissions must be received no later than 11:59 PM (PST) on Wednesday, January 8th, 2020. TAXI #S200108PR

Appreciate the advise and help! I know I am very new to this and just learning how to mix in my new room since the broth of my baby boy kicked me out of my old studio room:) Ahh the sacrifices we make for our children!
Chad

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: NEW TO TAXI -1980's submission returned - Looking for Advice

Post by ttully » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:47 am

Hi Chad,

I'm just going to tell it like I see it..... actually 'hear' it....

There are several problems.

For this placement.... THEY WANT A HIT SONG.
This track does not sound like a hit song!!!

It also sounds like 'Hit Me With Your Best Shot'...with different lyrics.
There is nothing in the lyrics or the vocal performance to make it memorable... it lacks energy.

The reference songs have much less bass and drums than yours and more high end.... and they highlight the singer .....your track is almost highlighting the band and especially the drums.
But that is not the main problem..... a great recording of a mediocre song will not make it a great song.

My 2 cents,
Tim

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:27 pm

I have a question, what is meant by female vocals? Do males count as female? Perhaps I read the wrong listing or heard the wrong song from Chad.

letloverule

Post by letloverule » Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Tim,
Thank you for the honest reply! I really appreciate it. I would have definitely understood that critique:) No sense in trying to polish garbage. Understood!
To grow just my mixing from this I'll take a good listen with your opinion and critique in mind.
thanks again

Gregorym, you must not have listened to "No Retreat No Surrender", that has a female lead.
thanks for trying.

Chad

gregorym
Impressive
Impressive

Post by gregorym » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:31 pm

letloverule wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 2:54 pm

Gregorym, you must not have listened to "No Retreat No Surrender", that has a female lead.
thanks for trying.

Chad
I know you have a female lead. Some of the forwards didn't.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Hey Chad,

Thanks for being able to handle criticism .... I would have probably said... what does this jerk know!!!!

Maybe someone else will have a completely different opinion.

Tim

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:54 pm

ttully wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:36 pm
Maybe someone else will have a completely different opinion.
I often agree with Tim but on this occasion I thought the song was a good one, I actually thought the vocals were well done and the right style but I just think the production was letting it down quite a bit.

Now it may not sound like a bona fide 80s hit record but with the right mix I reckon it would at least sound like something that Pat Bennatar would have as an album cut or B side

So I give the song a B , the production a C minus ...might be an idea to go to the Forwards blog and see if you can find any of the tracks that got forwarded for comparison.

Mark

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ttully » Wed Feb 26, 2020 4:19 pm

Hey Mark,

At least ya didn't call me a jerk.... ha !!!

Tim

iplaydatmusic

Post by iplaydatmusic » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:48 pm

I actually got forwarded for this listing. I will listen to your song tomorrow and see what is up. We need to help each other! Maybe we could chat about the song and perhaps put our heads together on it?
Songwriter, Producer, Engineer, Studio Owner
Master Certificate from Berklee College of Music Online - Producing Music with Pro Tools