New to Taxi I have 2 for a listen

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

voodoo
Active
Active

New to Taxi I have 2 for a listen

Post by voodoo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Hello all I am new here but I think I am getting the hang of it.
The first song is "Ghost of Bourbon Street" submitted to...

HEARTFELT, ROOTSY, EARTHY, MODERN AMERICANA SONGS a la Robert Plant (Band of Joy), Ryan Bingham, Eilen Jewell, and Alison Krauss wanted by TV/Film Publisher placing music in numerous top-rated TV shows. Songs must project an earthy sincerity with a contemporary, heartland feel that combines guitar-driven elements of folk, blues and alt-country. Lyrics should be honest and authentic and express truths about matters of the heart, home, life's journeys, family, workin' for a living, the joys of life, etc. Make sure your production is warm, organic and clean and incorporates real instruments typical of this genre. Vocalists (GUYS or GIRLS OK) should project a natural genuineness with their heartfelt delivery, unadorned phrasing and subtle ache in tone. Please stay on pitch and demonstrate control. Energy can vary from touching ballad to uptempo shuffle so long as the m! elodies are well developed with distinctive verses and memorable, catchy chorus/refrains. Publisher is NOT looking for full-on country, retro folk a la Joan Baez or hillbilly a la Tennessee Ernie Ford! Please submit songs with language and melodies that are relevant to today's contemporary audience.

the second song is a Christmas song I co-wrote with a friend just would like some feed back "Daddy I Been Good" thanks to all

http://www.taxi.com/boyd

fret17
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: New to Taxi I have 2 for a listen

Post by fret17 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:32 pm

Hi Boyd...I listened to Ghost of Bourbon street and Daddy I've been good...as well as a few others on your page and I think you're like a diamond in the rough...suffice to say at this point that I personally enjoy your style of writng mostly because you're not afraid to write in many genres...which brings me to "Ghost"...it seems to be a little outside of your other styles and is a really good song in my opinion....I like the structure and chords ..the overall feel of the composition...there is a lot of emotion that can be felt and you put it across nicely...the only problem I had with it was the clearity of the lyrics...the diction and phrasing need to be thoughtout line for line so we don't miss a word of this good song....
Daddy I've been good has great melody in most of it and clever lyrics over all...maybe a little too much about the tree...We need to know why he thinks he's been good all year...his anticipation of the bike and not sleeping is really good as well..needs a little tightening up here and there but a nice piece that shows a lot of promise in my book...I plan to visit your page more often to hear all you've got.

ottlukk
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ottlukk » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:48 pm

Hey Voodoo: I listened to "Ghost", liked it a lot. You have a knack for lyrics! Maybe in the future you could post the lyrics? Nice job!
Ott

voodoo
Active
Active

Post by voodoo » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:19 pm

Fret and OTT thanks for taking the time to respond. Your comments about "Ghost of Bourbon Street" are noted, maybe I was doing a little too much of the John Melencamp thing on it. The Christmas song was written in an afternoon for a contest, first try at the holiday thing. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers
B

http://www.taxi.com

rnrmachine
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by rnrmachine » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:06 am

Hi Boyd,

"Ghost of Bourbon Street" was good. Just a bit wordy for my tastes.

I like "Daddy I Been Good" WAY more then "Ghost of Bourbon Street"... I think that song is AWESOME although I would drop that intro. The guitar with the vocals is a home run imho...

Rob
http://www.taxi.com/johnsteskal
Sonar X1 PE Expanded on a Windows 7 64bit system.
Intel Core2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz
Thermaltake PSU 500watts can run 5 SATA
Asus P5QL PRO Mboard with 4GB of Ram
Radeon X1650 512MB Ram
WD Blue HDrives. OS, Sample, Audio.

voodoo
Active
Active

Post by voodoo » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks sorry this is a little late but thanks for taking the time to review it, Rob. Merry Christmas

Cheers,
Boyd

http://www.taxi.com/boyd

Mellow D
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Mellow D » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:11 am

Hi Voodoo,

welcome!

I had a listen to both songs.

I liked the lyrics on DaddyI been good. Like the bit about the tree being taller than him. It's got cheeckey feel to it, reckon it would make a good advert song.

Ghost on Bourboun Street,

You sond lik Dylan on it! Love the vocals. The Melody seems to struggle with the number of words. Have you tried making it more beat driven instead of guitar? Springsteen (Streets of Philidelphia?)

Just some ideas, hope they are in some way useful?

Mellow

voodoo
Active
Active

Post by voodoo » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:20 am

Hey Mellow
Thanks for the thoughts, I might give that a try. Let me play with it and I'll get back to you