New to the forum, looking for feedback :)

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

SeanHMusic

New to the forum, looking for feedback :)

Post by SeanHMusic » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:17 pm

Created this cue yesterday and would love your feedback on what could be better.
It is a Tension cue.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Sean
SeanHurwitz.com

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: New to the forum, looking for feedback :)

Post by SteveBaruah » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:06 am

Hi Sean,

Not my genre, but sounds pretty good to me. You're sections are defined well and you kept it interesting.
If I could say anything was missing, it was more build in the individual sections.
If Russell Landwehr is around here somewhere he's the guy to ask on this genre.

Thanks,
Steve

RonKujawa
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by RonKujawa » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:41 am

You've got some good sounds, the mix is nice and clear, and the parts all work well together. You have a lot going on in the midrange though. It's not bad, but I've found my most used tension cues lean toward the minimal side.

One of the biggest lesson I've learned with tension cues is that the sonic palette is very important to whether your cue is going to get used. In the beginning, I made a bunch of tension cues that featured processed acoustic guitar. The cues didn't suck, but when I really studied the show I was pitching to, it became clear they'd never use a cues with those sounds. Their tension cues were all synth based. So, whatever you are pitching for, I don't think you can go wrong erring on the side of really studying the references and the brief (or listing).

SeanHMusic

Post by SeanHMusic » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:19 am

Thank you @SteveBaruah and @RonKujawa.
Good stuff.
I appreciate the feedback.

Steve,what I've noticed in other tension cues is the fact that there aren't too many builds. They stay pretty simple and lean (which goes against my nature haha).
Which also kind of makes the point for Ron, when he says that his minimal and lean cues get used the most.

Ron, I think the one thing working against me is that I don't know which show to watch for examples.
I'm going by gut feeling. And I'm also fighting it.
My gut says "Build"... And also says the examples I listened to didn't build that much, so "Keep it simple and minimal".
:roll:

Do either of you have any suggestions for shows I can watch that may offer more insight?
I've watched CSI and the likes, but they're more orchestral and composed for the scenes, or at least that's what it feels like.

Thanks for your time and feedback.
Sean

SteveBaruah
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by SteveBaruah » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:25 am

Hi Sean,

No worries. Again, this isn't my genre, but I would think the trick is to make it build whilst keeping it minimal. Composition is the key!
I'm sure someone with more experience in this genre will chime in with shows to watch.

Regards,
Steve

RonKujawa
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by RonKujawa » Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:42 am

Sean, regarding CSI and probably most scripted shows, their tension cues probably are scored to picture by a composer, so they're going to be different than writing cues intended for a library.

MTV's Catfish is where I've had the most success with tension cues. You're going to have to wade through a lot of different scenes, and cues to find them though. I've also had some tension cues used on VICE and VICE News. Those typically lean toward investigative.

Beside watching the shows, which I think is a great idea because you'll get a better sense of how the cue is used against picture, you can also search some of the music libraries for "tension" and study what they're putting on albums or in their catalog.

I also use the TAXI listings, but at the moment there aren't any active for tension. When there are, they tend to give a better focus because it's more likely a library looking for cues for a specific show right now. The listings tend to zero in on mood and instrumentation more.

I think the more you listen to cues, and write your own, you'll get a better sense of how much build is enough, and how much is too much. It can also vary by library and show.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:44 pm

I would say lose the intro 10 seconds and go right into it

SeanHMusic

Post by SeanHMusic » Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:48 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 1:44 pm
I would say lose the intro 10 seconds and go right into it

You know what, I agree 100%.
Thank you.

Sean