New tunes, new album, new member

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

sourman

New tunes, new album, new member

Post by sourman » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:47 am

I love this, this message board rules.I've been scanning for a while but this is my first post. I'm wrapping up production on my record and would LOVVVVVE some feedback before I master and send it off to Taxi. What do you all think?I can re-track anything that doesn't sound right so now's the time to do it.I appreciate all feedback, so let me have it. - Thanks in advancehttp://www.mansourbethoney.com/uploads/Tunes/

sourman

Re: New tunes, new album, new member

Post by sourman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:48 am

Who's a guy gotta sleep with to get some feedback around here?

superflux
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by superflux » Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:51 pm

First off, as John and Paul said (sort of), in the endthe feedback you get is equal to the feedback you give.You're more likely to get some love if you take the timeto help some other folks out first. That said, sometimes you still get dissed. I sort of assumein our case it was a matter of the material being so weakthat nobody knew where to start. (How's that for selfconfidence?! )Anyway, I liked what I could hear of "Lustdrops", thenit bombed. It has a groovy early Duncan Sheik vibe.Depending on the listing, you might get told that itisn't "big" enough. Seems like the reveiwers really wantbig builds and soaring choruses.Listening to "Send a Girl Away" right now. Your mixesand instrumental treatments sound really good. Thevocal seemed just a hair shaky a few places in the first 1/3 of the tune but then got more sure of itself.I think it has a fun infectious feel. The Na-na stuff stayswith me."Agony" sounds good too. I just can't shake the feelingthat you're going to be in trouble here because yourstuff doesn't sound similar enough to other stuff that'sout there. This one is like Steve Perry meets Toy Matinee. Meantas compliment, but somebody with more wisdom thanI have needs to chime in about marketability. Short on time, jumped to "Candy Brain". Sort of adiscordant take on Keane. Very well put togetherarrangement.I think this is good material. The orchestrationis all top notch and the mixes sound as good or betterthan any of the other stuff that people are postingfor feedback.I hope that some of the more experienced (andcompetent )writers that frequent this boardwill give you some feedback. I don't feel the leastbit qualified to critique anything but the playing, and I think it's strong.You'll probably be asked to post your lyrics to getany help. Also, along the lines of not just showingup and asking for attention without showing thatyou want to help other members of the forum, youmight think about asking for feedback on fewertunes. At least to begin with...Good luck,Steve

sourman

Post by sourman » Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:17 pm

I actually did respond to a few review requests.You don't see it reflected in my post numbers becasueon a few of them I emailed them privately.I thought that to be a more tastful way of being critical...especially with me being a newbie to the board and all.Also, Alot of the other posts were just too country for me to comment on, I don't listen to country, so my opinion is not an informed one.Also, Also, that music subscription site broadjam, never works on my MAC.I have a question about your post, did you mean the song "lust drops" bombed or that the MP3 failed on you?Also, I posted these tunes in a blank directory, I don't expect anyone to listen to all of them. I was however curious to see how the naming of the tunes drew people to them.After reading more on these boards I'm starting to feel like taxi is not for me.I get the impression (which I think you imply in your post) that they like cookie cutter material... Kelly Clarkson over Bjork.Also a few of the posts on the other boards imply that the reviewers look down upon stuff that blurs genre... It would be cool if Taxi offered a sort of mini-subscription, maybe $25 per song with no membership fee. To me $300 plus $5 per tune is a lot to be told your music doesn't fit into such and such a category... I could have told you that when I was writing it. ; )BTW-- This is in no way a knock of the service, they are quite clear in their mission statement.I also thought it was cool that they didn't censor the boards.They are the only serious game in town. It was quite a blow to me musically to learn that I will not be able to use them as a resource. When I started recording this album I was thinking this was going to be my main resource.www.sourman.com

superflux
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by superflux » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:23 pm

The file bombed. I was digging the tune.Responding privately may be the kinder thingto do, but my advice still stands. I've seenpeople (gently) flamed for requesting feedbackwithout ever giving any. Your choice. Just because you don't listen to or write a a certin style, doesn't mean your opinionsaren't valid. We all have ears and taste.I've not enough experience as a writer to commentauthoritatively on your genre dilemma, but you mightpose that question in a new thread and see whateverybody says. In our limited experience, thereviewers who gave us strongly favorable feedbackabout the quality of our submissions still said that wewere off target for the listing to which we submitted.You'll find ample advice here, from some really savvy folks, about targeting your tunes to the submissions.That's great if you want to create material to fit whatthey're asking for, which is a perfectly meritioriouspursuit. This just might not be the right approach foreverybody, and may not interest you.I've read quite a few posts lamenting the "cookiecutter" attitude you're talking about. There havealso been a lot of posts rebutting it. Overall, I'vecome to the conclusion that when our stuff isgood enough it will succeed - be it in the clubs,or with TAXI, or whatever. Genre pigeonholingimpedes only good material. Great stuff doesn't needto sound just like something else. Of course, it hasto be able to fit in SOMEWHERE. But you don't seemto be going to any stylistic extremes.We're pleased with TAXI and will stick with it because TAXI has helped us get our writing project off the ground. We've also become acquainted with and learneda great deal from some really nice and talentedpeople as a result of our TAXI membership.It may not be the best thing for you, but you mightbe pleasantly surprised.BTW, I celebrate creativity, but would still sometimestake Kelly Clarkson over Bjork. Good luck,Steve

sourman

Post by sourman » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:42 am

Fair enough.In the spirit of Quid Pro Quo (or however you spell that) I will give you my 2 cents on your stuff. I will also commit to at least 3 reviews a week.In the meantime, thanks for your time and thoughts.-- Mansourwww.sourman.com

superflux
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by superflux » Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:31 pm

Great looking website, by the way.

sourman

Post by sourman » Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:15 am

Thanks, I'm a designer... by day!

nomiyah
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by nomiyah » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:06 am

I have an old computer so it took several minutes to download the mp3. I'd advise figuring out how to get streaming audio (doesn't download, just plays immediately). I put a Wimpy Audio Player on my website and it's great.Because of the slow download, I only listened to Candy Brain (on Steve's recommendation). It's a good song with decent production. I think the vocals need to be more upfront in the mix (volume/compression).If you think about the business side of music, Taxi and music libraries and publishers need to operate by the cookie cutter method. If you don't know why I say that, study the business more. That doesn't mean it isn't for you. You may have certain songs that will resemble a chocolate chip or oatmeal cookie. (Candy Brain might fit a SingerSongwriter listing?)The other option for you is if you are a performing artist as well as a songwriter. You can pitch to Taxi listings that are looking for artists. You can also do shows, get press, etc.I am in a similar situation. I have an original style that doesn't fit easily. In the past, I was more of a performer and my originality was a plus. But now I am not interested in looking for a record deal. I'm using Taxi because one song might fit one listing and another song fit another, etc. I am new to Taxi but I have had a few forwards already so I think it might be a good approach.Stay cool,Nomi

sourman

Post by sourman » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:48 am

Thanks for listening.I didn't realize Taxi had Artist listings, I haven't seen any of those.Perhaps a better avenue while I'm still young and foolish.. : )