NEW VOX - NEW MIX, is it film/tv quality now

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: NEW VOX - NEW MIX, is it film/tv quality now

Post by deantaylor » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:58 pm

Vikki,Thanks for your comments. You are right about how line 1 is quite different in form in v1 and v3. I was a novice songwriter when I wrote these lyrics (didn't count sylables, I just wrote), but I think David found a way to make those lines work well in his melody. Maybe harder for the singer though .. I am not sure .. so I won't argue with you there. (Personally, I always like when verses aren't copycats of each other ..)Always loved the last line of the chorus .. but it is funny .. that is a line that David la-la-la-ed in .. in his first draft and I wrote to that .. after the rest of the lyric was already finished ... so maybe you are picking up on some 'mis-match' others have missed before. I am not sure. I may be too stuck on the songwriting ... but it's always gotten good reviews. And I've lived with it for years. Plus, I've always loved the song. And I've always thought it had good flow.Shane is recording Julia with a SM Shure 58 mic.If Julia does not do another take, I might look at getting a new guit track to fit her better or modifying the old one, like you suggest. I sometimes think I hear just a touch "too much" country in her first verse vox, but not after that. I could be missing it elsewhere. Or could be wrong about V1. Seems pretty minor though.Thanks, Vikki.Dean

squids
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by squids » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:26 am

Hey Dean,Well, you've probably heard as much as you need to about this but wanted to add in two things......Julia's got a lovely voice. The lyrics are beautiful and evocative but as bird pointed out, the change in syllables from v1 to the rest would tax me too, to be honest. I'd ask if I could add a word or sound or remove one, if it was me, to match up the groove. Chits and I went through this, I was very fortunate she was easygoing about my phrasing.

deantaylor
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by deantaylor » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:01 am

Thanks for the further feedback, Squids. There are some words that could be removed and some phrasing could be adjusted. However, I've always thought that v3 had the most 'complicated/hardest to sing' phrasing, but i think that is Julia's best verse. So go figure???Dean