Newbie Here With Newbie Questions

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

b_d

Newbie Here With Newbie Questions

Post by b_d » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:48 pm

I just signed up to Taxi about a week ago, I'm really enjoying the environment so far (I can't believe I waited SO long to sign up!). I'm really green with all the licensing stuff, so bear with me here...

I have music already being sold through CD Baby, iTunes, etc, and I have music being played on digital radio stations. My question is, if I were to get this music signed exclusively to a music library, and they were holding the publishing rights, would I have to pull where these songs currently are?

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: Newbie Here With Newbie Questions

Post by mazz » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:21 am

Welcome! I hope you learn and grow and have success on your journey!

As far as your question goes, it really depends on the contract with the publisher or library. Usually they aren't labels so there would be no conflict with the music being sold to the general public. Generally exclusive libraries don't want the song pitched by someone else to the production community. But it all depends on the individual deal. You can always say no or try to negotiate if you really want to be with that particular library.

Read Passman's book and also the Brabec's book "Music, Money and Success". Get the knowledge before you get the deal. It's part of building your chops in your career.

Best if luck,

Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

b_d

Re: Newbie Here With Newbie Questions

Post by b_d » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:56 am

Thanks Mazz! I'm definitely going to check out the books you recommended. :)

Brian