Newbie Intro

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

benprice

Newbie Intro

Post by benprice » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:52 pm

Hey everyone. I joined up to taxi a couple months ago, i haven't submitted anything yet. I play guitar mainly but dabble in a few other instruments. Just thought id say hello. I look forward to participating in discussions and meeting other songwriters. Cheers Ben

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Newbie Intro

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:27 am

Welcome Ben..also join the Quarantine happy hour QHH on Tuesdays and Thursdays at 4:00 pm p.s.t on youtube, just a hang and chat hosted by Michael.

benprice

Post by benprice » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 pm

Thanks mate. I have jumped on quarentini a couple times, its pretty cool. Im in Melbourne Australia so the time difference makes it a bit early for drinking but its still entertaining.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:02 am

benprice wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 pm
Thanks mate. I have jumped on quarentini a couple times, its pretty cool. Im in Melbourne Australia so the time difference makes it a bit early for drinking but its still entertaining.
Welcome, Ben!
Maybe you haven't heard the American phrase "It's always 5 o'clock somewhere" :lol:

benprice

Post by benprice » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:33 am

Haha, yeah i use that one a bit, generally after noon though lol

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:21 pm

Hello Ben - from another 'lurker from The Peanut Gallery' (and part-time collaborator, when the opportunity arises).
Have you got music posted anywhere, and links to the kind of stuff you do?
What's your story?

PS - don't be fooled by the "Total Pro" moniker they attached to my vacant avatar... it only means I've been lurking around so long...
I've been awarded the Forums' version of an honorary degree as a legit PROFESSIONAL LURKER. :? :shock: :shock: 8-)
Oh - YIPPEE!! :? 8-)
Your mileage may vary. :)
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

benprice

Post by benprice » Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:58 am

Hey Peter. Ive seen you in chat on taxi tv, its nice to meet you. I hope to lurk long enough to get such a moniker too lol.

My story hmmm.

I'll give you the abbreviated version, which isnt that different to the full version haha.
I live in melbourne Australia. I've been writing music for about 20 years. Couple bands along the way. I sing and play guitar mainly but dabble in other instruments.
Branched out into solo stuff about 10 years ago. (Mainly doing adult comedy) got a few tracks on spotify under the alias bennyfabulous. Many more unreleased though.
Just a quick warning though , they are'nt to everyones taste so i won't link.

But i have been writing all sorts of songs over the last 5 years, 100+ in varying degrees of readiness and i need an outlet for them.
Joined taxi a couple months ago , with the intention of submitting to listings on a regular basis ( but life has been getting int the way of late)
I'm keen to collab with others or just chat music, if nothing comes of it thats ok i enjoy the music industry chat.
Looking forward to the journey either way.

Cheers Ben

AudiniAudio
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AudiniAudio » Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:46 pm

Hey,

it usually takes a bit to get up to speed having all the right gear, tuning your recording space, wrapping your head around listings. Anyway, the more the merrier.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:54 am

benprice wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:58 am
But i have been writing all sorts of songs over the last 5 years, 100+ in varying degrees of readiness and i need an outlet for them.
About that.

A lot of people tend to find the stuff they wrote prior to joining doesn't really fit with what the Film/TV people are looking for and the best advice is ' Write To The Listings " as you can waste a lot of money trying to shoehorn your back catalogue into opportunities that they aren't really suitable for. What they were asking for 5 yrs ago when I joined is somewhat different to what they are asking for today as well, so it's a moving target , more so in some genres than others.

Your Bennyfabulous raised a smile but probably not suitable for TV in general ( although you never know there might be a niche for it somewhere ) due to the NSFW lyrics which are generally a no-no.

I wish you luck. Write - Submit - Forget - Repeat as they say.

Mark

benprice

Post by benprice » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:17 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Feb 02, 2021 4:54 am
benprice wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 3:58 am
About that.

A lot of people tend to find the stuff they wrote prior to joining doesn't really fit with what the Film/TV people are looking for and the best advice is ' Write To The Listings " as you can waste a lot of money trying to shoehorn your back catalogue into opportunities that they aren't really suitable for. What they were asking for 5 yrs ago when I joined is somewhat different to what they are asking for today as well, so it's a moving target , more so in some genres than others.

Your Bennyfabulous raised a smile but probably not suitable for TV in general ( although you never know there might be a niche for it somewhere ) due to the NSFW lyrics which are generally a no-no.

I wish you luck. Write - Submit - Forget - Repeat as they say.

Mark
Thanks Mark. Appreciate the advice. Cheers for listening. Ben.