Newbie introduction & a few questions

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

AManseicher

Newbie introduction & a few questions

Post by AManseicher » Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:29 am

Hi,
being a TAXI Member since January 2020, I still consider myself a Newbie here… I think I’ve learned a few lessons so far, including that it’s no good idea to pitch a pop ballad for country music requests or SciFi-Lab instrumentals for an Irish folk request and vice versa. 😊 However, in the last months I have submitted a total of 27 tracks, resulting in seven forwards (no deals yet), which, I think, might be a good rate, or maybe not – I don’t know.

I’ve always seen myself as a typical singer/songwriter, but about ten years ago I started writing and producing instrumentals in various genres, at the moment it is at a rate of 50/50 between instrumentals and songs; this rate is also displayed in the pool of tracks I’ve already uploaded to TAXI. When I analysed my feedbacks on both returns and forwards I found it surprising that six of my instrumentals had been forwarded, but only one of my songs with vocals. I’m still wondering where this discrepancy may come from – maybe it’s the quality of my lyrics (I’m not a native English speaker), though they haven’t been criticized in the feedbacks. For the moment, my conclusion to this is I will probably upload more instrumentals in the future since - in my case - they seem to have a better chance to get forwarded.

Anyway – in the last half year some questions arose and I wonder if some fellow TAXI passengers with more experience could help me here…?
  • First of all: When uploading a track there are several fields to fill in, of which one is reading “Tell us more about the genre”. I must admit I still don’t know what to put in here – I mean, I could tell them more about the specific piece of music, o.k., but “about the genre”? So mostly I’m describing the individual track here, e.g. “Piano driven ballad in six-eight time with sad lyrics “. But I doubt that’s what this field is for. - Can someone please tell me how to handle this field correctly?
  • Second: I still don’t understand the difference between an “instrumental” and a “cue”. I know that’s been discussed in several posts elsewhere on this forum, but the answers I’ve read so far still left me a bit puzzled – in the end, for me it boils down to the following: an “instrumental” somehow seems to be more “developed” than a “cue”, i.e. it has a more complex melody and / or rhythmic structure while a “cue” should be more “reduced” in these aspects. And sometimes (but not always) a "cue" seems to need a kind of "loopability" and possible edit points... Can you confirm that or add other points to this very basic try of an explanation?
  • My last question is (and this may be a really stupid one, so please promise not to laugh): Is it recommended and / or even crucial for TAXI members to join a music rights organization (you promised!!)? I mean companies like the BMI or (here in Europe) the SUISA or the GEMA to get royalties as an artist / author. Does it depend on the kind of deal, on a case-to-case basis… or is there an advice in general?
Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

- Addi

jaywilliams
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Newbie introduction & a few questions

Post by jaywilliams » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:59 pm

AManseicher wrote:
Sun Aug 30, 2020 7:29 am
...However, in the last months I have submitted a total of 27 tracks, resulting in seven forwards (no deals yet), which, I think, might be a good rate, or maybe not – I don’t know.

... I found it surprising that six of my instrumentals had been forwarded, but only one of my songs with vocals. I’m still wondering where this discrepancy may come from – maybe it’s the quality of my lyrics (I’m not a native English speaker), though they haven’t been criticized in the feedbacks. For the moment, my conclusion to this is I will probably upload more instrumentals in the future since - in my case - they seem to have a better chance to get forwarded.
  • First of all: When uploading a track there are several fields to fill in, of which one is reading “Tell us more about the genre”. I must admit I still don’t know what to put in here – I mean, I could tell them more about the specific piece of music, o.k., but “about the genre”? So mostly I’m describing the individual track here, e.g. “Piano driven ballad in six-eight time with sad lyrics “. But I doubt that’s what this field is for. - Can someone please tell me how to handle this field correctly?
  • Second: I still don’t understand the difference between an “instrumental” and a “cue”...
  • My last question is (and this may be a really stupid one, so please promise not to laugh): Is it recommended and / or even crucial for TAXI members to join a music rights organization (you promised!!)? I mean companies like the BMI or (here in Europe) the SUISA or the GEMA to get royalties as an artist / author. Does it depend on the kind of deal, on a case-to-case basis… or is there an advice in general?
Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance!

- Addi
Hi Addi, welcome!

I personally would be happy with a 7 of 27 Forward rate, but everything's relative I suppose. :)

Without hearing your vocal tracks, I will say that the bar is higher for vocal productions in general. Write what you enjoy.

When uploading the track to Taxi, the basic summation of the style of the track, as you described, is fine. Definitely no need to over-think that.

Instrumental vs Cue - I'll let someone else tackle that one.

YES you should join a PRO. Do it right NOW, today.

Hope that helps!

Jay :)
// keep it groovy and make great music :) - Jay

J.W. Hagarty, Producer
Jay Williams Productions
Spotify: bit.ly/spotifyjay
Web: jaywilliamsproductions.com
Songtradr: jay.williams.productions
SoundCloud: jay-williams-productions

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:40 am

AManseicher wrote:
I have submitted a total of 27 tracks, resulting in seven forwards (no deals yet), which, I think, might be a good rate, or maybe not – I don’t know.
It's a bit low productivity wise..a little over 3 per month, but songs do take longer..so there's that..but seems a decent ratio
AManseicher wrote:
but only one of my songs with vocals.
Do you sing them yourself ? Your English seems excellent but if you sing with an accent it could be that putting people off ? I would have to hear them.

Nothing wrong with making cues though
AManseicher wrote:
  • Second: I still don’t understand the difference between an “instrumental” and a “cue”. I know that’s been discussed in several posts elsewhere on this forum, but the answers I’ve read so far still left me a bit puzzled – in the end, for me it boils down to the following: an “instrumental” somehow seems to be more “developed” than a “cue”, i.e. it has a more complex melody and / or rhythmic structure while a “cue” should be more “reduced” in these aspects. And sometimes (but not always) a "cue" seems to need a kind of "loopability" and possible edit points... Can you confirm that or add other points to this very basic try of an explanation?
An instrumental is a song with no vocals. Maybe with a Verse - Chorus -Verse -Chorus -MId8 - Chorus - Chorus type structure or whatever

A cue is a different format. Let's call them A & B sections but it'll be shorter ...say 2 mins ..not 3 or 4....and it might go A-A-B-A-A ...or or even A-A-A-A-A

The difference is you need to change it up a lot more along the way in a cue as there is no vocal to hold the interest. Every 4 bars you should be developing it, bring things in , swap things out, build it up, drop it down, then go all out of a big finish. No point in it sounding like your stuck on a loop...they can loop a section themselves in the edit if want to ...you gotta give them options.

AManseicher

Post by AManseicher » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:18 am

Well guys,
thanks for the quick replies and the warm welcome!
The information you gave me helped me very much, thanks!
Uhm, what does the abbreviation PRO stand for? Is it meaning those companies as BMI & SUISA I mentioned in my post?
If yes, can you recommend any? For several reasons, I don't want to join the company most composers are members of in my home country.
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 11:40 am
AManseicher wrote: ↑
but only one of my songs with vocals.

Do you sing them yourself ? Your English seems excellent but if you sing with an accent it could be that putting people off ? I would have to hear them.

If you'd like to give me a feedback to the quality of my "sung" English (I'd be happy!), just pick Now that You're gone, Home or Don't touch the Yellow Ring from the pieces on my artist page on TAXI. They are examples for full songs with lyrics.

Thanks in Advance!

Addi

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:41 am

AManseicher wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:18 am
If you'd like to give me a feedback to the quality of my "sung" English (I'd be happy!),
Sounds great ....I wouldn't have picked you out as a non-native English singer at all. If I listen REALLY closely there might be the odd word I'd pick up on but that would but ultra nit picking.

And the lyrics are all good as well.

Are you writing to the Listings or are you trying to use existing songs and pitching them ? I would imagine its' more a case not being the " right " songs rather than not being " good " songs as they sound good quality to me.

Mark

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:11 pm

From listening, if I had to pick a country of origin, I'd say you were a British-English speaker, simply based on your voice sounding a bit like Declan Patrick MacManus on his good days.

And Now That You're Gone is most assuredly broadcast quality to my ears.

AManseicher

Post by AManseicher » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:51 am

AlanHall wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:11 pm
From listening, if I had to pick a country of origin, I'd say you were a British-English speaker...
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:41 am
Sounds great ....I wouldn't have picked you out as a non-native English singer at all. If I listen REALLY closely there might be the odd word I'd pick up on but that would but ultra nit picking. And the lyrics are all good as well.
Thanks, people, your comments on my lyrics and pronunciation mean so much to me. It's encouraging to hear that I as a non-native English speaker am not doing too bad. 8-)
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 5:41 am
Are you writing to the Listings or are you trying to use existing songs and pitching them ?
As for the cues/instrumentals, indeed I'm submitting both existing tracks and new compositions (which I'm often producing just for this one special request).
The songs with full lyrics are, in most of the cases, tracks already recorded; sometimes decades ago. I think this is a point where I could do better, as my stuff may sound a bit dated sometimes. On the other hand, producing full songs takes multiple of both time and effort compared to instrumentals or cues. Moreover, I think it's true what Jay mentioned here:
jaywilliams wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:59 pm
I will say that the bar is higher for vocal productions in general.
So for the moment I think I'll stick with the instrumentals mainly and pitch an existing vocal track every now and then whenever it seems appropriate.
CTWF wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:03 am
Now I am getting curious (see my location...), because they all seem to do the same thing.
Yeah, I'm not too far away from Nowitzki's place of birth, and if you mean the town itself... I'm not too far away either (somewhere in Franconia!). :-) So we're probably talking about the same PRO - I know you've written you're not in a PRO, but just in case and out of interest: If you felt you should join one... what would you as a German choose? There is a number of alternatives - have you already picked out some favorites?

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:53 am

AManseicher wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:18 am
Well guys,
thanks for the quick replies and the warm welcome!
The information you gave me helped me very much, thanks!
Uhm, what does the abbreviation PRO stand for? Is it meaning those companies as BMI & SUISA I mentioned in my post?
If yes, can you recommend any? For several reasons, I don't want to join the company most composers are members of in my home country.
PRO = Performing rights organization.

Basically a public performance of your music (playing a recording in a restaurant or synced to video / film / tv) is a use for which you should paid.
The PRO collects blanket licenses from TV stations, radio, bars, restaurants etc.
Then they pay the money out (minus expenses) to a weighted average of those who had pieces "performed". More performances for longer times gets you more earnings.
At this point many pieces are used "gratis" meaning there is not an up front "sync / master use" license and the only way for the piece to earn is via royalties which are paid by the PRO to you and the publisher of the piece (in this instance often a library but you might be self-pitching to music supervisors or ad agencies and getting the writers and publishers share).

So YES - you need to join a PRO to end up getting paid royalties.

I gather you are not a fan of GEMA - read the fine print. They have certain rules which are a little different that other PROs - maybe more restrictive but possibly also guarding the pieces against unpaid uses. I believe their rules prohibit non-exclusive signing of pieces to multiple libraries - again you should read.

I am not certain whether you can join a PRO for a country that you are not a resident of. Although I am living in Canada again (which is SOCAN) I joined BMI when living in the US and have stayed with them.

All PRO's work on a reciprocal basis so you get paid royalties for foreign performances through your domestic PRO after the money is sent from the territory of performance.