Newbie needs startup recording equipment

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

PaulaRay

Newbie needs startup recording equipment

Post by PaulaRay » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:40 pm

Hey,
I need to purchase a few pieces of equipment so I can do some recording. I own a MacBook Air and a Korg Triton Workstation (kinda old). I have a decent Shure microphone and a pair of headphones that aren't too bad. I'm considering a FocusRite Scarlett solo - audio interface, a midi adapter, and a pop filter....not sure if I need a shock mount as well. The Scarlett solo comes with some software...Protools….probably a basic barebones edition, I'm guessing. It also comes with Able...something or other...maybe Ableton software...I'm not where I can look that up right now, but you all probably know what I'm talking about. I've never used any software of this kind. I've used the Korg to mix tracks I've sequenced on the synthesizer itself and Audacity years ago...I know I've got a lot of studying ahead of me. I feel capable of learning to work with the software...I just don't want to waste my time learning something that is inadequate right at of the gate. So...what do you suggest? I have a $300.00 budget. In case it makes a difference...I'm a wind player - so I'll be recording live reeds and horns in addition to vocals.

ttully
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Newbie needs startup recording equipment

Post by ttully » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:17 pm

HI Paula,

I would recommend going with the ProTools software that you have.
Get an MBox interface and a PreSonus Faderport 1 controller and some good headphones, I use the Senheisser 280 pro.
But there are alot of good headphones.
You will also need some type of speakers.... I although I have very high quality speakers.... I never use them.
I been successfully recording for TV for years using just headphones..... Your mileage may vary with this approach!

There is alot of bundled software with Protools, Eq's, Reverbs, Delays, Comperssors, Etc....
You will also probably want to get some type of Limiter.... the Waves L2 Ultramaximizer is great.
There will be a steep learning curve.
But, once you figure it out....it is easy.

My 2 cents worth, and I'm sure others will have other suggestions,
Tim

Len911
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by Len911 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:05 pm

for $79 you can get the Harrison mix bus daw. It's probably the most intuitive daw and easiest to learn and there are many you tube tutorials. Don't let the price fool you, it is totally "pro".

http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/mixbus.html

https://www.youtube.com/user/HarrisonConsoles/playlists
https://soundcloud.com/huck-sawyer-finn
Not an expert on contemporary music

Kolstad
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Kolstad » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:56 am

If you are on a mac, you should already have garageband, which might be a better recording and mixing tool than Pro Tools first. Upgrading Garageband to Logic Pro in due time will also be a lot cheaper for you, that taking the Pro Tools path. So even if you are just starting out, look into next steps, as you probably will go there in a year og two.

Focusrite interfaces are good, but Pro Tools first is already free on Pro Tools website, so that shouldnt be the deciding factor for you. If you will be recording with others, you might want two inputs, and if you will want a keyboard or a midi controller down the line, youll probably need the midi i/o on the bigger Scarletts, as there are not many usb inputs on the macs. So Id suggest to upgrade to the bigger interface. But all Focusrite interfaces are great and stable. You can get them used, and they are just as good as new.

If it is an SM58 you have, it should record both vocals and winds well, but an upgrade would be a budget ribbon microphone. The tbone ribbons are quite good and can round off the top end on your wind recordings and be a more solid signal and easier to mix. Maybe you would want a cloudlifter (to get a louder signal from the ribbon, so you dont have to push your interface as hard) to go with that down the line, but that would be starting equipment you never need to sell to upgrade, as it will be useable for a long time.

Just a couple suggestions. Good luck.
Ceo of my own life

PaulaRay

Post by PaulaRay » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:21 pm

Thanks so much for the input. It really helps.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:18 am

You mentioned wind, not brass, so I'd recommend a solid condenser mic and an interface with recently designed mic preamps and converter. The Scarlett interface range is more than adequate, in terms of preamps and conversion, but much depends on your recording space, and its suitability for capturing the best qualities of your primary instrument; if you have a great instrument in a great and quiet space, an accurate, quiet mic and preamp are your friends. The DAW? Doesn''t matter all that much, so I'd suggest you spend nothing on that, at first, since your Macbook Air came with Garageband. When the time comes, Logic is a relatively painless upgrade. I wouldn't recommend the Solo, though, because stereo miking requires two mics and you likely have two ears; if you might possibly record live with another instrumentalist who might also be better in stereo, four mic preamps is better, even if you don't yet have four mics. If this music thing works out, you are for sure gonna have more than two mics.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone