Newby question

A creative space for business discussions.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Kent

Newby question

Post by Kent » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:22 pm

When submitting a song, do you submit a wav file and if so How do you attach metadata?

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Newby question

Post by Paulie » Thu May 05, 2022 2:06 pm

From the "Upload Music" link on your profile page, the web form shows "Valid formats are WAV, AIFF, or MP3"

Use whichever format you like, lots of people use mp3 because of the ease of entering meta data in iTunes or other tools.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Thu May 05, 2022 10:33 pm

Paulie wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 2:06 pm
From the "Upload Music" link on your profile page, the web form shows "Valid formats are WAV, AIFF, or MP3"

Use whichever format you like, lots of people use mp3 because of the ease of entering meta data in iTunes or other tools.
I would just add that if you want to use a higher quality file, use AIFF in preference to WAV, because AIFFs travel with metadata, while WAVS generally don’t.

===
Michael

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri May 06, 2022 4:36 am

While, it's definitely an important habit to always embed some metadata in your music files, Taxi always sends your info with a a forward. The most important metadata (for any use of your music file) is simply your contact info. That ensures that if the file gets separated from other documentation, the owner can be found.

If you are concerned about embedded metadata in music files you upload to your Taxi account, I recommend a 320K mp3 file. A 320K mp3 has sound quality almost on par with a wav or aiff (99% of the world couldn't tell the difference), but will reliably hold metadata. Wav files do not reliably hold metadata. An aiff will hold metadata but things sometimes get tricky. With mp3, it's a no brainer.

Also remember, the file you upload to your Taxi account is the REVIEW version and honestly, even a 192K mp3 is good enough for review. If a library signs your track, they will have you send them hi res wav or aiff separately anyway.

HTH
:D Casey

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Sat May 07, 2022 7:53 am

Casey H wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:36 am
If you are concerned about embedded metadata in music files you upload to your Taxi account, I recommend a 320K mp3 file. A 320K mp3 has sound quality almost on par with a wav or aiff (99% of the world couldn't tell the difference), but will reliably hold metadata. Wav files do not reliably hold metadata. An aiff will hold metadata but things sometimes get tricky. With mp3, it's a no brainer.
Do we know that TAXI forwards the originally submitted file? Or do they forward whatever they convert uploads into? Surely everything is somehow converted for the player, so ...

Tom
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Wed May 11, 2022 7:02 am

CTWF wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 7:53 am
Do we know that TAXI forwards the originally submitted file? Or do they forward whatever they convert uploads into? Surely everything is somehow converted for the player, so ...
It doesn't matter because if the library wants your music they will ask you to send them new files in whichever format (and with whichever alt mixes) they prefer. Every library is different.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

CTWF
Impressive
Impressive

Post by CTWF » Wed May 11, 2022 7:51 am

Paulie wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:02 am
It doesn't matter because if the library wants your music they will ask you to send them new files in whichever format (and with whichever alt mixes) they prefer. Every library is different.
Sure. My point is that it could be that all the meticulously curated meta data could be wiped off by TAXI's background process when the tracks are passed on, and only info from the TAXI form is passed on.
https://soundcloud.com/ctwf --> 0|°_°|0 <-- I am a producer/composer with TV & radio placements around the globe. -- Music is the mathematical transmitter of human emotions.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed May 11, 2022 10:08 am

CTWF wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:51 am
Paulie wrote:
Sure. My point is that it could be that all the meticulously curated meta data could be wiped off by TAXI's background process when the tracks are passed on, and only info from the TAXI form is passed on.
I never put any in

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed May 11, 2022 1:07 pm

CTWF wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 7:51 am
Paulie wrote:
This is a good question for ML to address. What file does the client get on a forward? I suspect they get the original file you uploaded and that's why I prefer mp3 with my contact info. It's also a good habit to have that info in your mp3 file anyway even before you upload it to Taxi. That way if you ever send it directly to anyone in the industry, your contact info will be in it. I tend to put my email address as the album because album shows readily on almost anything you play it on.

Even if not with respect to Taxi, I have heard stories where a sup or library wants a track, has the mp3 but it got separated from the email it came in, and can't contact the owner. But keep in mind that if Taxi sends a forward, they include your info and the client knows the music came from Taxi who they can contact if they have an issue. Odds of a problem from a Taxi forward are extremely small.

Bottom line is from my POV, always put your contact info in your mp3s when you create them. And if anyone thinks it means a darn thing whether a screener listens to a wav or a 320K (or even 192K!) mp3, they are very wrong.

:D Casey