NI Komplete 5

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

NI Komplete 5

Post by aimusic » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:05 am

Hey all,Ok so I really want to buy Kontakt 3, but now I see that there's a special reduction price on the Komplete 5 from NI... should I just save the extra buck and get the Komplete 5, does anyone know if it's worth it?Take careBhttp://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id ... te5&L=1P.S. The reason why I ask is coz Kontakt 3 is £289 and the Komplete 5 is £669... and seems to come with a whack of software...

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Re: NI Komplete 5

Post by mazz » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:58 am

Native Instruments makes good stuff overall. I have Reaktor but haven't used it that much, it's great for esoteric stuff and it does have it's uses. I've never been attracted to the Komplete bundle because it duplicates some functions I already have but if you're equipping and need some of the things it has, it's probably a good buy.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:01 am

Hey Mazz,Thanks for the info... Yeah I kinda need a bundle of sounds... the stuff I have at the moment, is pretty basic vsts you can download off the net and I aint happy with those sounds at all... and I was thinking for a fractional bit more I can have a lot of sounds to work with...From that angle, do you think it's worth it?Take CareB

milfus
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by milfus » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:16 am

ok, lemme just tell you this, it may not happen to you, but dear god did I start to feel like a postal worker. I have the komplete 4, ewql plat orchestra xp, and I upgraded to kontakt 3, kontakt 3, still doesnt work propperly, but it atleast runs enough that I just have to reload it every thirty minutes, I bought a new computer see, and had to transfer all my software, well all the NI stuff completely craps out on me, so I get the activation key files (i dont network my audio computer, it eats resources) and submit them online, only to receive a thing about how thats never going to work again, then i ahve to download that god forsaken ni client thingy woo to replace it, and I get to the offline activation finally, and its saying serial numbers are invalid and all sorts of crap, when im literally holding the number from the box up against the screen to make absolutely sure its identical (after the 5th time re-typing) at this point I call them, I get shuffled around and basicly they imply that i infact STOLE the software to which I was angry enough, I said "well how about I get a big damn box, mail YOU all the freakin cd's/boxes/and keys, and you mail me back new working copies" to which he said i was being abusive and terminated the call! so at this point im losing it, I finally get a key generator to generate new keys for software I PAID FOR, then get the stupid file and put it in the thing on the other computer, I get like 4 activations out of something like 15, one luckily being kontakt 3.So I install the activations that I can, and get kontakt and like my brass sections, and the original wood winds working, and have to registry hack my samples to work with kontakt 3, well then apparently it didnt activate kontakt 3, so after resorting to insane measures, I have a kontakt 3 player that will play my samples for 30 minutes and then shut off and tell me to activate it, and native instruments expects me to lay out like 4 grand to buy all new software for no particular reason. don't get me wrong, the samples are beautiful, and the software except for the damn security is really nice. but I was literally shaking with anger at one or two points, if there was an alternative of the same caliber I would have jumped ship and had to talk myself out of blowing up the buildings.
in the time of trumpets and guitars, there was an oboe

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:49 am

I don't have K5 only K4, I think it's great.I use Absynth all the time, it does so many things so well, even bought 3rd party sounds for it, Pro53 all the time for analog stuff, Elektrik Piano is my go to EP, B4II is still the best emulated Hammond, FM8 rocks, Massive is great although it consumes massive amounts of CPU , Battery is a great drum machine with tons of excellents sounds and great sound mangling capabilities, Guitar Rig makes your sampled guitars come to life and Spectral Delay is simply a great product for creating strange and trippy atmospheres out of almost anything...Reaktor is a never ending source of strangeness, you can totally geek out on it, although it has many more conventional applications...really an excellent sound design tool as well.The only thing I'm not to keen on is Akustik Piano, definitely not as good as the Sampletekk stuff I have, although the upright is pretty nice.If you don't already have a lot of stuff and it's not too much extra money I would highly recommend it. You'll have days of fun just going thru the Presets .matto

nickbatzdorf
Impressive
Impressive

Post by nickbatzdorf » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:31 pm

Agreed. It's a very impressive bundle.

xybor

Post by xybor » Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:03 pm

I have been an NI Komplete user for several years, and recently upgraded from 4 to 5, primarily because I wanted Kontakt 3 and the new sample library. It sounds like my experience and view is very similar to matto's.If you don't have any of the NI stuff, it is, clearly, an impressive bundle. I use B4, Battery and Kontakt continuously. The B4 is great. I love it. For these alone, I would buy Komplete. I also use Reaktor, FM8, Elektrik Piano and Pro-53 on occassion, which are really icing on the cake, as they say. I haven't bonded with Guitar Rig or Massive, so can't speak to them. For acoustic piano, I use Ivory, so can't speak to Akoustic Piano. When you are looking for "a sound", the palette NI Komplete offers is pretty colorful. I have had no problems running these programs with Cubase. However, I run a separate machine with the soft-synth stuff, as they can really load down the CPU and RAM, so think about how you intend to use it. If you want to run the soft-synths on the same box as a DAW, make sure you have *lots* of RAM. Terry

aimusic
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aimusic » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:42 am

The one thing I can't understand is I looked at the prices of Komplete 3 /4 and they are more expensive than 5, why do you think it's like that?Does RAM stand for Really Awesome Music :) jk!