NI Service Center Problem

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

kurtkreimier
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

NI Service Center Problem

Post by kurtkreimier » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:25 am

Hello Everybody! I did the Kirk Hunter Pop Rock Group Buy and downloaded everything yesterday. Following the instructions for activation I went to Kontakt and added the library and then when to activate but for some reason when I open up Service Center to do the activation it is telling me all products are activated. I exchanged a few emails with Kirk Hunter yesterday and he suggested removing the library and deleting the poprockstrings xml file placed into common files/native instruments/service center and then adding it all again. Still no go. Searching through the NI forum this seems to be a regular issue but I don't see any definitive fixes. I have loads of NI and Kontakt libraries on my machine and I have never experienced this problem before. In fact, I very rarely have any problems with any of my NI products so this is most perplexing. Any suggestions are appreciated. I am on a PC running XP 32 bit.

Thanks

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: NI Service Center Problem

Post by llama » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Hey Kurt. I had a similar problem. This thread from the KVR forum explained it all and gave the solution. Look out for the + in the file names. That's what my problem was and also make sure that you really delete the file mentioned.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=450

Hope this helps.

Derek.

kurtkreimier
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kurtkreimier » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:24 pm

Thanks Derek! I'll give this a try. :D

Wow. :x

Rename the files, delete some files and edit the registry just because some download server decided to add + between spaces in file names. :x :x

Can anybody spell "Quality Control" and maybe put it into practice? :x :x :x

You would think they could have mentioned the real problem to me yesterday while we were exchanging emails. They mentioned nothing about changing the file names.

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:36 am

They may not know about it, yet. KH doesn't operate the KVR forums. ;)
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by llama » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 pm

Nah...They know. In fact the later downloads are supposed to have the added + issue solved. Dunno if that is so since I was an early downloader... It seems like a screw up on the part of the Amazon server, not really Kirk Hunter. Yea, it's a pain .... but not insurmountable. On the good side the library itself is very nice......once you get it going :D
How did it all work out Kurt? I hope you're up and running...

Derek

kurtkreimier
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by kurtkreimier » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:26 pm

Finally Activated! Thanks Again Derek! :D

Last night I blew out all of the original downloaded files/folders and started downloading new files from the new links. Finished downloading the new files this morning. After getting everything extracted properly to new folders I still could not get Kontakt to add the library. Although it could see the instruments and actually let me load them. So I go back into regedit and find many of the pop+rock registry entries I thought I had deleted were back. After many attempts at getting rid of these I am really getting PO'd. In an effort to calm my nerves I decide to go ahead and install my new Sample Modeling Trumpet, Trombone and Sax. No problems with these. They are in, activated and working great. Looking forward to playing with these.

Now I go back to Kirk Hunter and still no go. I go back into regedit and find more pop+rock stuff and start deleting. Finally this afternoon Kontakt lets me add the library and database. I go to activate and Service Center sees the product and lets me activate. Now the only problem I seem to be having is Kontakt giving me a Missing Samples warning when I load the instruments. When I tell Kontakt to search the files or database it seems to find all of the samples, I think. The samples load and they seem to be working well and they do sound excellent. I guess I'll take this problem up with Kirk Hunter and see if they know why this might be happening.

Yes Mojo Kirk Hunter knows about the problem. The thread is filled with posts from him along with quite a number of buyers (both PC and MAC) who have had the same problems. Based on the thread it looks like he has known about the problem for at least 3 weeks. I guess what really ticks me off about this is that he left the links with the bad file names up even though he knew the files would not work. He mentions that he sent out an email to everybody warning them about the bad links but I don't remember seeing the email. I just happened to download from those links Monday. If he had shut them down I would not have had to waste two days. It seems to me that having to go in and make changes to the registry is a rather extreme fix. And they did not even come up with the fix. It was actually put out there a user who was having the same problems as the rest of us. :evil:

At this point, I am just hoping I did not screw up anything else while making changes in the registry. So far everything seems OK but I guess only time will tell.

Now on to the Missing Samples Mystery!

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by llama » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:17 pm

Hey Kurt. It's good to hear that you're almost there. Sounds like you're still suffering from a remnant of the + problem. I think what is happening is when the program is searching for the sample files it is searching for files with the + in them or it is searching for files without the + and finding only files with +. I also came across this problem on my road to fixing this. You probably still have either rogue files or the pointer to the sample files is rogue. See if you can see what the sample files names are as they come up in the little box when your being loaded up. That should give a clue as to which of the two cases I've described is actually occurring.
I know it's a pain but I'd go back one more time and make sure all the sample files are devoid of the + and doubly make sure that the registry has the rogue KH file deleted. Then try again.

Anyway I hope this helps you.....

Keep plodding through this Kurt.... I feel your pain :( ....

BTW I'm thinking of downloading the Trumpet modeling VST later today.... I'm doing a bunch of fanfares...2 down and 2 to go..... and would really like an excellent trumpet for the next 2.

Derek.

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:52 pm

Derek,

I added The Trumpet to my arsenal before the holidays.

I had a request for some film noir tracks and thought The Trumpet could hold it's own as a solo voice.

It's a great addition, but be prepared to learn to play it. It should work great for the fanfares.

Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

llama
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by llama » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:13 pm

crs7string wrote:Derek,

I had a request for some film noir tracks and thought The Trumpet could hold it's own as a solo voice.

It's a great addition, but be prepared to learn to play it. It should work great for the fanfares.

Chuck
Sounds great. Can't wait to try it out...

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:03 pm

llama wrote:
crs7string wrote:Derek,

Chuck
Sounds great. Can't wait to try it out...
Stop talking about my "secret weapon" in public or I will have to kill all of you!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

@ Kurt, I didn't participate in this GB but have to say that my interactions with Kirk have been extremely pleasant and he has always been very professional, easy to get a hold of and quick to solve any issues. So I'm surprised, and sorry, to hear about your headaches.