Nice news this morning

A cozy place to hang out and discuss all things music.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Nice news this morning

Post by Casey H » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:20 am

Quote:Hi Charles,Thank you so much for submitting your music to us to use in the [name] pilot. After much listening, and thinking we have finally come up with the music of yours we would like to use for our pilot. We would like to license the track "What a World". Could you possibly email me this track as an MP3, or mail me a copy on CD, whichever you are most comfortable with. Mailing me an MP3 would be preferable and the quickest. Just to re-update you: We are creating a pilot for a South Africa cellphone/internet series. The purpose of the pilot is to use to for non-profit promotional purposes to raise finance, distribution and awareness for the entire series. [name] Media will not be making any sort of profit from the pilot, and so even if we agree to pay you a percentage of profit, it will amount to zero. However, the rest of the series will only be produced of we have a budget to do so. If we use your music for any other episode we will pay for the use of the music either in percentage royalties, or a flat fee (this can be negotiated by us when we are sure we are going ahead with the series)... Just wanted to share my Sunday morning with my friends... Casey

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Nice news this morning

Post by edteja » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:55 am

Very nice Casy. You never know what could lead to success in this biz...
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 5:57 am

Quote:Quote:Hi Charles,Thank you so much for submitting your music to us to use in the [name] pilot. After much listening, and thinking we have finally come up with the music of yours we would like to use for our pilot. We would like to license the track "What a World". Could you possibly email me this track as an MP3, or mail me a copy on CD, whichever you are most comfortable with. Mailing me an MP3 would be preferable and the quickest. Just to re-update you: We are creating a pilot for a South Africa cellphone/internet series. The purpose of the pilot is to use to for non-profit promotional purposes to raise finance, distribution and awareness for the entire series. [name] Media will not be making any sort of profit from the pilot, and so even if we agree to pay you a percentage of profit, it will amount to zero. However, the rest of the series will only be produced of we have a budget to do so. If we use your music for any other episode we will pay for the use of the music either in percentage royalties, or a flat fee (this can be negotiated by us when we are sure we are going ahead with the series)... Just wanted to share my Sunday morning with my friends... CaseyOn the basis you consider me one of your friends , a very good tactical move Casey.

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:53 am

Great job, Casey! I really like that song, too...great vibe, and a good combination of ambiguity and meaning in the lyrics...it has broad appeal.As far as the lack of $ compensation, the exposure and potential for backend $ make it worth it in my opinion, especially if it's not an exclusive contract. I've gotten lots of good paying work after doing a job "Pro Bono" to show a company what I'm made of.Odd that they would prefer an MP3 over a CD...hopefully this isn't an indication of their value of production quality (it probably isn't; most people outside of audio production are unaware of its importance, plus they picked your song, which sounds fantastic). If it were me, though, I'd take the opportunity to tactfully educate them about the importance of using the higher-quality CD track rather than an MP3, even at a lower compression setting.Congrats!Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:52 pm

Quote:Great job, Casey! I really like that song, too...great vibe, and a good combination of ambiguity and meaning in the lyrics...it has broad appeal.As far as the lack of $ compensation, the exposure and potential for backend $ make it worth it in my opinion, especially if it's not an exclusive contract. I've gotten lots of good paying work after doing a job "Pro Bono" to show a company what I'm made of.Odd that they would prefer an MP3 over a CD...hopefully this isn't an indication of their value of production quality (it probably isn't; most people outside of audio production are unaware of its importance, plus they picked your song, which sounds fantastic). If it were me, though, I'd take the opportunity to tactfully educate them about the importance of using the higher-quality CD track rather than an MP3, even at a lower compression setting.Congrats!AndreThanks Andre... No worries here about compensation. I seize opportunities when they come and see where it leads. For the overwhelming majority of us, if we wait for the money, we may wait forever. For me, there is such a thrill knowing that someone out there is responding that favorably to something that came out of my head. You are right that the more "high end" film and TV productions will not use an mp3. Some will use your mp3 as filler until they get your CD. In this case, I am not sure of the time table and they are in South Africa. So I sent them a 192K mp3.BTW, there is a great website for sending large attachments without the email bouncing for being too large. It's www.yousendit.com ... Check it out if you are not familiar with it.Thanks for all your support! Casey

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:10 pm

Congratulations, Casey! I agree with you to answer the door every time opportunity knocks--I've kicked myself in the ass many times for waiting for a better chance that never came.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:14 pm

Hi Casey,I've been in Memphis for the last couple of days. Nice to return and see your post. Congrats! There are very few occasions where I've turned down an opportunity to add a credit to my "resume". One thing always leads to another if you're actively marketing yourself, which I know you do. If this is what happens, I'll have to go to Memphis more often. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy... except for me of course. Back at ya! Dave

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:20 pm

Hi all Well, this must be my week. Just heard from another library type film/TV placement co. with a great track record and non-exclusive deals.... They've accepted my CD for inclusion in the library. I know they are selective because I know folks who were not accepted including myself with different songs a few years back. Of course, there is still a great possibility that I'll never get a placement, but better to be on first base than still at the plate.Dave- once again it couldn't happen to a nicer guy!! Never give up. If you have good material, keep marketing. Casey

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:34 pm

Quote:Well, this must be my week. Just heard from another library type film/TV placement co. with a great track record and non-exclusive deals.... This is your week! Would you buy me a lottery ticket, pick a horse for me or something?

jeffchurchwell
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by jeffchurchwell » Mon Jun 05, 2006 1:36 pm

Casey,I will pay FedEx shipping, BOTH WAYS, if you'll send me your rabbit's foot for a week.That's seriously great news, man. Live large.Jeff