Nick --- Giga Hell!

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Nick --- Giga Hell!

Post by ernstinen » Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:32 pm

Hey Nick et al,After MONTHS of studio downtime (computer problems), I got Giga 3.21 up and running yesterday. I successfully loaded a Dan Dean flute, and was shocked at the latency. Then it dawned on me what was really happening --- it was playing back an octave below where the pitch should be!This is the first real chance I've had working with Giga3 since I upgraded, so I assume it's some setting that I have wrong.My ESI WamiRack 24 is set at 44.1k, and the hardware setting in Giga is also at 44.1k.After being on hold with Tascam for almost an hour today, they couldn't figure it out either, and couldn't explain why the hardware setting in Giga is set at 32 bit and can't be changed to 24 bit --- as a matter of fact, it can't be changed at all. Does bitrate affect pitch like sample rate does? I'm so ignorant on this stuff, and I'm getting REALLY frustrated. I'm a musician, not a scientist. I DID do an experiment by changing the bitrate in WamiRack, and it did change the pitch of the sample.It's NOT a keyboard setting, because on my EWQLSO Gold PC, the samples play back correctly.The Tascam techie told me to buy a new soundcard. So far, I've bought 2 new computers, and Giga3 and I can't get the goddamn thing to work. Maybe I'll just eat all of my Giga sample libraries and call it a day. Help please!Ern

og
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Nick --- Giga Hell!

Post by og » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:06 pm

Dammit, Jim, I'm a surgeon, not a miracle worker!Sorry, Ern. But I feel better about my problem--we went to put my new music puter together today, and the vid card that I didn't buy because my stepson had one didn't fit! Did you guys know that AGP cards and PCI cards won't fit in the same slots even tho they look really close?It's education, Ern. Expensive, frustrating, maddening, hair-pullin', snot-slingin', dog-kickin, if I had a grenade I'd blow the sonofabitch up! education.Help 'im, Nick! I'm just a slow learner, but Ern has a real problem!Good luck, Ern!

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:34 pm

Quote:Dammit, Jim, I'm a surgeon, not a miracle worker!HaHaHa! Thanks, Og, I needed a laugh after dealing with computer hell. Maybe I need "Hal" to be the brains of my studio. Well, on second thought, maybe that's a bad idea.Does "Bones" have a computer consulting service? Ern

edteja
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by edteja » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:28 am

You see, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs both hate people. That's why computers work (or don't) the way they do. There was a guy, Adam Osborne PhD, who advocated that all computers use the same standards, because although the results might not be optimum, they would all play nice together, and ordinary people (aka, those with a mere 10 years or so screwing with computers) could make them ACTUALLY work. Bill Gates is reported to have sneered and said that people didn't need computers that worked, but did need computers that required Microsoft software. Jobs allegededly said that they had to look good on his desk and not take up the spot where he puts his harmonica. Now Osborne and his company are long dead, Ern, can't get his samples to play, and old goat can't get his video card to show him whatever is going on in his computer, or his midi keyboard to talk to his computer either.We call it progress. "Computers are made to be sold, not to be used." Anonymous
"In the future, when we finally get over racism, bigotry, and everyone is purple, red, and brown ... then we'll have to hate people for who they truly are."--George Carlin

zink
Impressive
Impressive

Post by zink » Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:46 am

I've had a similar problem with Giga. Try playing with the Master/Slave option on your soundcard.HTHZ

andreh
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by andreh » Wed Jan 10, 2007 10:27 am

Quote:Then it dawned on me what was really happening --- it was playing back an octave below where the pitch should be!Hi Ern. Your MIDI notes may be mapped to a different octave in that flute patch, which is most likely the case if the pitch is exactly an octave lower than you'd expect; a sample rate issue wouldn't yield such a drastic pitch difference. Quote:My ESI WamiRack 24 is set at 44.1k, and the hardware setting in Giga is also at 44.1k.It sounds to me like the results you're getting are normal; just send MIDI notes an octave higher to attain the right pitch, or adjust the octave in GS.Quote:the hardware setting in Giga is set at 32 bit and can't be changed to 24 bit --- as a matter of fact, it can't be changed at all.There's no downside to this 32-bit setting if your computer is fast enough to handle it, and if it's not you'll notice it in audio stutters, not pitch issues.Quote:Does bitrate affect pitch like sample rate does? I DID do an experiment by changing the bitrate in WamiRack, and it did change the pitch of the sample.Bitrate does NOT affect pitch; only sample rate does (if set incorrectly). Is it possible you changed another setting during your experiment?Andre
The greatest risk in life is risking nothing.

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:26 pm

Hi Ern I don't use Giga, so I can't give you any specifics. But as I understand it from reading here and on NS you got both a new computer and GS3, but kept the soundcard from the old PC. Is it possible that your soundcard is not compatible with either the new computer or (more likely) GS3? Have you contacted ESI about this? Isn't that a relatively "old" (I know I know, what like 5 years maybe... ) soundcard? Perhaps they have a new driver?If the samples play back exactly one octave slow it would appear to be a sample rate/clocking issue, one of the components appears to either be expecting 88.2 or 22.05.Sorry I can't be more helpful, I know how bad this kind of thing sucks...

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:21 pm

Hi Guys,Thanks for all your ideas!Well, I started clicking around today in my WamiRack control panel as Zink suggested, and I'm not sure what changed things, but all is right in the octave world (for now). Giga still crashes now and then when I try to load a performance, but I'm sure that's another issue.I think I'm going to give Giga a minor role in my studio, and really give my VisionDAW/Kontakt with EWQLSO Gold the lion's share of the duties. Tascam's technical support is so lousy; it's so frustrating dealing with them.Thanks again,Ern

og
Impressive
Impressive

Post by og » Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:25 pm

"To err is human, to really f**k things up, you need a computer." The smartest, most perceptive anonymous of his generation.

ernstinen
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by ernstinen » Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:05 pm

Hey guys,Giga reverted to playing things back an octave low late last week, so I thought I'd experiment by unhooking the WamiRack (I had downloaded the latest drivers, Matto), and hooking up an M-Audio Firewire Audiophile. Problem solved (at least for today it is ).I know I only have 16 Giga Midi channels now, but I've expanded my VisionDAW to play back 64 of EWQLSO Gold, and I've got other playback devices, so I should be able to write a new symphonic piece now.Thanks again everyone,Ern