No Forward...I'm a little bummed

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

toncart
Impressive
Impressive

No Forward...I'm a little bummed

Post by toncart » Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:45 am

I rushed to make a listing deadline when I joined TAXI and had to overnight my songs. Cost me nearly $50 to do so on a Saturday because DHL was the only one that could do it. Anyway, the songs were for a "Kenny Chesney" listing. No forward and no critique. Maybe they were not right for his voice. I can understand that I guesss. My songs were written more for a baritone voice. I also submitted to a Randy Travis listing. That may be more appropriate. My songs have a "Christian" theme to them and are suited for the deep voice. I guess I will have to wait and see how they do with his listing. Yeah, I know this is a very normal thing here at TAXI, but I'm still pretty bummed. If I can't get a forward on the other listings I submitted to, then I think I'm just wasting my time here. Here are the songs I sent to the Randy Travis Listing. Wish me luck. http://www.soundclick.com/tcartermusic

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: No Forward...I'm a little bummed

Post by johnnydean1 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:27 am

Quote: I rushed to make a listing deadline when I joined TAXI and had to overnight my songs. Cost me nearly $50 to do so on a Saturday because DHL was the only one that could do it. Anyway, the songs were for a "Kenny Chesney" listing. No forward and no critique. Maybe they were not right for his voice. I can understand that I guesss. My songs were written more for a baritone voice. I also submitted to a Randy Travis listing. That may be more appropriate. My songs have a "Christian" theme to them and are suited for the deep voice. I guess I will have to wait and see how they do with his listing. Yeah, I know this is a very normal thing here at TAXI, but I'm still pretty bummed. If I can't get a forward on the other listings I submitted to, then I think I'm just wasting my time here. Here are the songs I sent to the Randy Travis Listing. Wish me luck. http://www.soundclick.com/tcartermusicThis Ring.Good song. J

toncart
Impressive
Impressive

Post by toncart » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:54 am

Thanks Johnnydean if you seriously like "This Ring".

johnnydean1
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by johnnydean1 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:27 pm

Quote:Thanks Johnnydean if you seriously like "This Ring". I really do!I think the hook is very strong and memorable.You should be pushing this one.J

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:28 am

Quote:Is TAXI only looking for hit songs or potential #1 hits? Is there a place for filler songs on TAXI? Toncart, "filler songs" may have a chance at making it into a music library or other tv film placements... nut NOBODY in Nashville is looking for album cuts, cause they are drowning in those. They want radio hits, so when Taxi is looking for songs for Nashville artists, the bar is almost always extremely high and only potential hits will be forwarded. That's simply a reflection of Nashville "supply and demand", and you will encounter the same obstacles elsewhere.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:07 am

Quote:Thanks. I will try and get a grip on what I really want to do with this music stuff or if I have the gut to take the shots and keep going on. There's nothing wrong with regrouping. I was just reading some old emails I sent out to friends and family back when I decided to go back to doing music in early 2004. My writings about what I thought I'd be doing compared to what I'm actually doing today are worlds apart. Before joining Taxi I was apparently going to publish a New Age CD (I don't even remember thinking that but I wrote that to several people so I must have had it in mind). My word... how embarrasing. Anyway, regrouping, adjusting your course, or even rethinking the idea of your destination isn't the worst outcome of any situation. Dave

matto
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by matto » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:25 pm

toncart,I think it's important to realize that the charts on soundclick are not representative of the realities in the music business. Unlike "real" charts, they are based on voting, not sales or (terrestrial/satellite) radio airplay. And the people who do the voting are mostly other soundclick members...and unfortunately the quality of the music on soundclick is mostly pretty horrible. So on soundclick, somebody like yourself who can put together a decent song is a hero. In Nashville, somebody who can put together a decent song is a waiter... In order for an unknown like yourself to get a song cut there, the song needs to be as good as the BEST songs written by the established songwriters there, not like some of the mediocre songs (often written by the artists themselves...). Otherwise why would anybody take a chance on your song? They would much rather record one by a writer with a track record...or write one themselves and collect their own royalties...Kenny Chesney doesn't have to explain to anybody why his tractor is sexy. He has sold a gazillion albums and could sing the phone book and people would still buy it. You haven't and you can't...unfortunately life is not fair. Well maybe...cause of course Kenny struggled for many many years...people told him he was ugly, his songs sucked and his nasal voice was unmarketable...yet he persevered and tirelessly worked on his craft as a writer and performer...and now women think even his tractor is sexy...good for him. Millions of people BUY Kenny's music or PAY to go to his shows...that's an entrely different thing than somebody voting for your song or telling you they like it. How many of the people who are telling you the like the songs are sending you money or asking where they can buy your music? There's a BIG difference there, one every writer faces at some point in there career.Success in the music business is all about years of hard work and dogged perseverence. Not everybody has that in them. It's also about learning about the realities of the business, and about figuring out your own path within it.Taxi can be a great tool in this struggle, but it's not for everybody. Nor is the struggle itself.If you feel Taxi is not doing for you what they promised they would, you can always ask for your money back. mattoAnd btw, if you consider this post "flaming", then I don't think you skin is nearly thick enough to survive in this business

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:34 pm

Quote:(btw i've had tracks rejected by taxi that have already been licensed multiple times to major networks and generated significant income. so i'm not a true-believer either.)Howard Shore wrote the filmscore to the Lord Of The Rings trilogy (directed by Peter Jackson), winning (if I recall correctly) two Academy Awards and a bookshelf of others in the process. Following that success he wrote and had already recorded portions of filmscore to King Kong (also directed by Peter Jackson). With only a couple months until the film's final release Howard Shore and his entire score were tossed by Peter Jackson and another composer was brought in at the last hour to score and record an entirely new filmscore. There's a lesson in there somewhere about reality of the music business at every level and also about how gracefully one does or doesn't handle that kind of reality.

aubreyz
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by aubreyz » Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:43 pm

Quote:Quote:(btw i've had tracks rejected by taxi that have already been licensed multiple times to major networks and generated significant income. so i'm not a true-believer either.)Howard Shore wrote the filmscore to the Lord Of The Rings trilogy (directed by Peter Jackson), winning two Academy Awards in the process. He wrote and recorded the entire filmscore to King Kong (also directed by Peter Jackson). With only a couple months until the film's final release Howard Shore and his entire recorded score were tossed by Peter Jackson and another composer was brought in at the last hour to score and record an entirely new filmscore. There's a lesson in there somewhere. uhh... that King Kong sucked? Sorry... couldn't resist

michael11
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by michael11 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:08 pm

Quote:, somebody like yourself who can put together a decent song is a hero. In Nashville, somebody who can put together a decent song is a waiter... Matto this quote is on par with...........we shall fight them on the beaches,Churchill,...............It is a far far better thing I do...Dickens...........Much ado about nothing,Shakespear.....Whats up doc......... Michael
All's Well That Ends Well

www.michaelgaughan.rocks