No real feedback here

Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

KBearden

No real feedback here

Post by KBearden » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:12 pm

This forum is silly. Writers of lyrics submit here and then are told "I need to hear it in a song format" Is this not a forum for the critique of the lyrics?" I submitted 6 or 8 compositions my first time and the first response was that it was to many for an actual critique. The folks that offer these opinions just seem to be wanna be's like you and i with no real insight. Good luck....................

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Re: No real feedback here

Post by Patrick » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:32 am

I find it hard to know if a potential song has merit just by reading the lyrics. This is why I post my lyrics on this forum, then sing/play it into my daughters phone to give the viewer a listen...to see where I'm going with the musical piece.

It must be very frustrating to only write lyrics and not play an instrument to accompany it. I get that. I have to save up just to be broke, so i don't have any studio access right now. But I still putz around with my guitar and record it into a phone for when I'm ready to do a more polished version.

Pat
Bad art can make you laugh
Good art can make you think
Great art can destroy you

- Me

(Did he just quote himself?? Yes! Yes I did!)

funsongs
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by funsongs » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 am

To be reasonable - most of the Taxi folks I know who engage in these Forums boards have busy, productive, working lives of their own.
Even with that, their participation with this Community Forums has provided huge and helpful contributions - FOR FREE - to other artists & wannabees.

It's not an entitlement program. You're not owed anything. So, respectfully, it might help you get a response by not overloading the system...
keep it simple, and be patient.

I posted lyrics only - no music idea whatsoever, looking for a composer. It was 11 months later :? :shock: - that the right connection came along,
and helped create this track:
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1/stop- ... o-mix-2mp3

If you are appreciative and respectful of other peoples' time, with patience, you might find success... instead of frustration.

Hope that helps - and encourages you guys to keep trying; don't give up on your quest... especially when you want help from others. :)
It's sort of liking fishing... you do your part... let the fish have time to do his... or hers!! :? 8-) :P
Peter Rahill - aka "funsongs"
NOW, back on YouTube (2022)
https://www.youtube.com/@peterrahill9263/featured
https://soundcloud.com/funsongs-1
https://peterrahill.bandcamp.com/

“The future aint what it use to be.” - Yogi Berra

Patrick
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Patrick » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:10 pm

You always give thoughtful feedback funsongs.
Bad art can make you laugh
Good art can make you think
Great art can destroy you

- Me

(Did he just quote himself?? Yes! Yes I did!)

AmandaJane
Impressive
Impressive

Post by AmandaJane » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:33 pm

I often write just lyrics on their own, that go on to inspire singer songwriters etc to create a full song with them, so I respectfully disagree.

Idea... Post a song at a time and give feedback n thoughts on others posts. People here tend to help those that join in and help others.
Sláinte, Amanda

Amanda Jane West - Lyricist | SoundCloud | My Website |

markhimley
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by markhimley » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:16 pm

I am not a lyricist, and don't use this part of the forums. However, I can say that in these forums much like the rest of the industry, your success and how much people want to help you is based on your attitude and mentality largely. Give before you take. It's a people business. You imply that your first post was submitting 6 or 8 songs and asking for feedback, without giving anything to anyone else first. You see what I mean?

I don't at all mean to harp on you, just pointing out why maybe you didn't get the results you wanted. Spend some time in the forums, actually build relationships. Give feedback on others' posts BEFORE asking for feedback yourself. Spend some time getting to know people. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Relationships are one of the most important parts of having a successful career. There are TONS of great things that have come from these forums.

To speak to my own experience - I have met people in these very forums who I am delighted to say have become good friends of mine. I signed with two publishers due to connections I made here in these forums.

Like all good things, it takes time.

Best wishes, and I hope to see you around here more often! :D

erynmichel
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by erynmichel » Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:50 am

markhimley wrote:I am not a lyricist, and don't use this part of the forums. However, I can say that in these forums much like the rest of the industry, your success and how much people want to help you is based on your attitude and mentality largely. Give before you take. It's a people business. You imply that your first post was submitting 6 or 8 songs and asking for feedback, without giving anything to anyone else first. You see what I mean?

I don't at all mean to harp on you, just pointing out why maybe you didn't get the results you wanted. Spend some time in the forums, actually build relationships. Give feedback on others' posts BEFORE asking for feedback yourself. Spend some time getting to know people. This is a marathon, not a sprint. Relationships are one of the most important parts of having a successful career. There are TONS of great things that have come from these forums.

To speak to my own experience - I have met people in these very forums who I am delighted to say have become good friends of mine. I signed with two publishers due to connections I made here in these forums.

Like all good things, it takes time.

Best wishes, and I hope to see you around here more often! :D
* resounding applause * Yes. This. Exactly. As with anything, you get what you give. We’re all here to learn, grow, have fun with our craft, celebrate each other’s successes, and help each other through our returns and struggles. I think if anyone is here just looking for validation on their work, this ain’t the place. Validation is nice, but growth is much better, and it takes far more time and effort. Sorry, I don’t want to be preachy but it seems that some of the sour apples came here looking for something that the forums aren’t designed to give necessarily. I don’t want newbies to see a post title like this and think that it reflects the reality of what we do for each other here (especially in Peer to Peer). OP, I hope you change your mind because you’re always welcome back!

Warmly,
Eryn