SOLVED: No two DAW exports ever are the same!?

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Telefunkin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: No two DAW exports ever are the same!?

Post by Telefunkin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:11 pm

Its not entirely surprising that a wav can sound different to an mp3. The latter uses compression and certain things can upset the mp3 codec. Slamming the sub bass for example can be a fun thing to try! :) Of course, you shouldn't do that, but there are varying degrees of what you might perceive as a 'difference'. If your mix is well behaved and at sensible levels any differences should be less obvious.

I'd be more worried if wav renders using identical settings sounded different to each other. If you use randomisation then you can expect some difference, so turn it off and check again. Some plugins include artificial noise that's supposed to provide a closer simulation of old gear (eg in some compressors for example). It really shouldn't cause random differences that you'd notice, but you might just have a rogue plugin.

Lastly, there's the possibility that the waveforms look different but sound the same because they are the same. In that case, it could that you're looking at a display with insufficient resolution to correctly show every feature of the waveform, especially if you've crammed a two minute file into only a couple of inches for example.
Graham (UK). Still composing a little faster than decomposing, and 100% HI.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:03 pm

CTWF wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:22 pm
Not sure that is what really happens. Any other explanations?
Yes. It's you. I already told you best practice for exporting from Cakewalk with my 30 years experience of using the program....but you ignored it.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:38 am

CTWF wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:30 am
And you will have to pay me $5 if I am right. :P
Well I won't because I'm right, Dropbox me the project and I will tell you where you are going wrong.
CTWF wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:30 am
One more thing that I can add to my long list of Cakewalk improvements: Create a possibility to simultaneously export to different file formats (another no-brainer, really). For this, they would have to internally create a hi-res file once, and then convert that one to the specific formats you told the DAW to create.

Go and suggest it on the Cakewalk forum then , the Devs are reading it - they have implemented some user suggestions including a couple of my own.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... back-loop/

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:01 am

You're too slow, I have put a feature request on the Cakewalk forum for simultaneous file export.

Not because they never sound the same ( they do if you do it right ) but because it would be a good time saver to be able to generate both lossless and lossy files together

You should go on there and say what a a wonderful idea of mine it is :roll:

UPDATE - They are actually implementing this in a future version but probably the update after next. I will let you know if I see it in the Early Access Beta

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:57 am

CTWF wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:41 am
I can give you one of my UK bank account details if this makes it more convenient.
Thanks I'll have it emptied by close of business 8-)

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: SOLVED: No two DAW exports ever are the same!?

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:52 pm

CTWF wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:48 pm
Correct, even though I do not like freezing stuff. :)
You should be doing as best practice before exporting your finals as if you ever need to re-open the project it could be a coupe of years down the road and you're relying on plugins and instruments that you may have updated or deleted even so not only does it ensure a 100% repeatable bounce , but it guarantees if you need to open that file in years to come it's going to sound identical.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jun 18, 2021 4:22 pm

CTWF wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:57 pm
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:52 pm
You should be doing as best practice before exporting your finals as if you ever need to re-open the project it could be a coupe of years down the road and you're relying on plugins and instruments that you may have updated or deleted even so not only does it ensure a 100% repeatable bounce , but it guarantees if you need to open that file in years to come it's going to sound identical.
But it will suck up storage.
Storage is dirt cheap and Cakewalk Projects are small, mine rarely reach 1gb including all the deliverables and everything. You can get a lot on a typical 1TB drive.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:18 pm

Read up about Aux tracks