Noire Piano Noise issue

with industry Pro, Nick Batzdorf

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

MichaelBears

Noire Piano Noise issue

Post by MichaelBears » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:07 pm

Good evening,

I’m working with a library on a forwarded solo piano track, which was recorded using Noire. Noire suits the piece perfectly.

The library asked that I remove certain pedal/felty noises that Noire puts out. For example, if you play a G below middle C rather softly, there’s definitely a fuzzy/felty/metallic splash to the note attack (hopefully not just for me!). This occurs even when the various noise adjustments are all disabled. The pure samples seem to have that whoosh sound. If anyone was able to replicate that would be a help.

Any perfect alternatives to Noire that come closer to dead silent?

Any mixing hacks ? I could split the LH and RH into two tracks and then dip 2-6khz on the most offensive notes (F-G below middle C really stand out). Laborious but it would probably help. Use a de-esser?

Appreciate any advice/perspective!

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Noire Piano Noise issue

Post by Paulie » Thu Dec 15, 2022 11:18 am

You can remove all noises within Noire. There are several buttons that give you access to the detailed settings, I think the one you want looks like a piano tuner wrench. Carefully read all of the option boxes and deselect the noises you want to remove.
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Dec 15, 2022 12:04 pm

These " realistic " noises drive me nuts on these libraires but as Paulie says you can usually turn them off somewhere on the better libraries. If any remain you can use RX if you have it to help lose the rest

MichaelBears

Post by MichaelBears » Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:03 pm

Thanks to you both for your thoughts here.

Yeah, Paulie, I've got everything turned off in there - release samples, felt, mechanical, pedal noises on the wrench page - there's just some residual felty splash when played really softly. If you play F through G below middle C on the non-felt instrument, very softly, those notes do give off more of a metallic splash. Not sure why those notes in particular, but I guess mechanical noises needn't get equally quiet when you play more softly.

Can RX extract, say, a felty splash associated in time with a note being played - if that splash overlays the note in time and frequency? It's like a 2-7k splash that overlays note onset.

In the meantime, I'm splitting the left and right hands into distinct MIDI tracks and filtering out the highs from just the left hand. Nothing really missed with even a static low pass filter, once combined with the right hand. Still experimenting with multi band and dynamic EQ though.....

EDITed to add - Tonal Shift is a handy option that dodges this. For example, the Fsharp two octaves above middle C has a similar pop, but tonal shifting those notes (on the main screen) presumably borrows adjacent samples where this is a non-issue. Just noting here in case this comes up for anyone in the future. This plus some filtering has things much cleaner now.

JenniferBowman
Active
Active

Post by JenniferBowman » Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:17 pm

Congratulations on your forward and working with the library!

i work in Noire alot. I am not with my computer right now but seem to remember experiencing this and solving it on one of the pages. There is a box that says “pianist” I think and sometimes there are squeaky pedal and bench sounds there (even when the other mechanical/pedal/felt boxes are unchecked). See if this works for your issue!!

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:18 am

MichaelBears wrote:
Thu Dec 15, 2022 2:03 pm
Can RX extract, say, a felty splash associated in time with a note being played - if that splash overlays the note in time and frequency? It's like a 2-7k splash that overlays note onset.
Kinda depends, I'd guess it would stand a decent chance having used it a fair bit and removed various noises. There are a lot of different tools so there are multiple approaches to problems, some of which are more successful than others depending on the audio file and the skill of the user.