Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Noise removal recs

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:25 am

CTWF wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:42 pm
SubRivers wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:36 pm
Seeing as it's single noise event (rather than some background noise) you could try recording the pedal noise and see if you can phase cancel the noise in the original recording with it.

It would need to be done by ear I think to line things up with flipped phase (or not, try both) and see where it dims the noise best.

price of that is $0 so probably worth a shot!
I would go with SubRivers suggestion although I have never done something like that and believe it might be difficult to (almost) perfectly reproduce the pedal sound. But it sounds like a feasible idea to me. And maybe it does not have to be super-perfect to work. Tom
Yeah it's an interesting idea for sure. Never thought of approaching it like that!
Anna Yarbrough
Website | Spotify | SoundCloud

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:27 am

markhimley wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:49 pm
The first thing I would try would be the stock Logic Noise Gate. Obviously this would be totally free. If you only need it in the one spot you could automate the bypass so it's only on for that moment and tweak the settings to taste. May or may not take care of the problem, but it'd be the easiest way to do it, and totally free. You know how to get a hold of me if you want/need any help with setting that up :)
Haha yeaaaaah that was the first thing I tried.... not cutting it unfortunately.... very resonant part so it's cutting out some of the harmonics with it. Also tried a bunch of other hare-brained automated stuff to no avail :lol:

Should prob just invest in something anyway. Probably going to be one of those things that keeps happening! Whyyy does it always have to be the good take... :lol:
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 am

Len911 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:27 pm
A spectral editor might be the best method, there may be one included in your daw. I think the free audio editor Audacity has one,it runs on mac,windows and linux. much of the restoration software works by spectral editing.
You know I had wondered about something like that... thanks for the reminder! Will have to look into that one a bit further... not sure about Logicx either but makes sense
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:45 am
annayarbrough wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:55 pm
Hey all,

Anyone got any recommendations for plugins (cheaper the better) to remove noise from an audio file? Specifically, I've got an audio take that is close to perfect except for one rogue piano pedal noise :roll: V annoying frequency. Working with LogicX.

Cheeeers
Anna I've got some good tools for this sort of thing if you want me to have a go at cleaning it up for you send it over.
Thanks! Just got your email. Got a couple of things left to try but if I get totally stuck you can totally have a crack at it :lol:
Appreciate it!
Anna Yarbrough

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:40 am

annayarbrough wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:30 am
cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:45 am
annayarbrough wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:55 pm
Hey all,

Anyone got any recommendations for plugins (cheaper the better) to remove noise from an audio file? Specifically, I've got an audio take that is close to perfect except for one rogue piano pedal noise :roll: V annoying frequency. Working with LogicX.

Cheeeers
Anna I've got some good tools for this sort of thing if you want me to have a go at cleaning it up for you send it over.
Thanks! Just got your email. Got a couple of things left to try but if I get totally stuck you can totally have a crack at it :lol:
Appreciate it!
No worries, the spectral editor is probably the right tool for the job because of the way it works.

I have the Waves stuff too which is good for some tasks but I suspect there may be too many artifacts if it's a solo piano ..you may be losing some of the wanted sound along with tne unwanted.

Spectral editing basically chops it out and then makes an educated guess at what to fill the hole with based on the wanted audio on either side.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:05 am

There is a legacy plugin in Logic called Denoiser (hold down the Option key when clicking on the insert FX button and a new section will appear in the popup menu labelled "Legacy"). I also like Izotope RX Elements (https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... ments.html). Izotope offer fully functional demos so if you do not want to spend a lot of money just try to get as much repaired as possible during the Demo period and bounce the repaired tracks :D
Cheers,
Matt

mojobone
King of the World
King of the World

Post by mojobone » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:54 am

Are we talking about a squeak or a thump? You could use a dynamic EQ for either of those, but it could be problematic if there's a lot of reverb/ambience baked into your track. If it's one of those deals where you need to remove dogs barking without disturbing everything else, iZotope RX Elements is probably the cheapest alternative. Of course the simplest tweak is to isolate the noise, bracket it, cut at either side and simply lower the level of the new clip, but I presume you've tried that.
The Straight Stuff; Roots, Rock & Soul

http://twangfu.wordpress.com
http://twitter.com/mojo_bone

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi Anna
Send me the track. I'll put a noise crackle/pop at that spot and no one will notice the pedal noise! :P

Seriously, you got great advice on this thread! This community rocks!!

Best
:D Casey

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:33 pm

MBantle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:05 am
There is a legacy plugin in Logic called Denoiser (hold down the Option key when clicking on the insert FX button and a new section will appear in the popup menu labelled "Legacy"). I also like Izotope RX Elements (https://www.izotope.com/en/products/rep ... ments.html). Izotope offer fully functional demos so if you do not want to spend a lot of money just try to get as much repaired as possible during the Demo period and bounce the repaired tracks :D
Cheers,
Matt
Thanks for the recs, Matt! Had success with waves, but izotope was next on my list.
Also gonna check out that legacy plugin!
Anna Yarbrough

annayarbrough
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by annayarbrough » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:36 pm

mojobone wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:54 am
Are we talking about a squeak or a thump? You could use a dynamic EQ for either of those, but it could be problematic if there's a lot of reverb/ambience baked into your track. If it's one of those deals where you need to remove dogs barking without disturbing everything else, iZotope RX Elements is probably the cheapest alternative. Of course the simplest tweak is to isolate the noise, bracket it, cut at either side and simply lower the level of the new clip, but I presume you've tried that.
Neither... bit of a "rush" kinda sound... something with the way the damper released and the corresponding vibrations. Such a pain! I did manage to get it done, but yeah the cut wasn't working as it was right in the middle of a rung out chord. The more you learn... :?: :D
Anna Yarbrough