We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Non-Busy, Melodic Contemporary Pop! :D

Post by ResonantTone » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:51 am

Hey all!

Tryin another one for the Contemporary Pop listing.. the goal being more melodic without going overboard. Let me know if anything jumps out as needing to be changed or fixed.

Thanks so much!

https://soundcloud.com/resonanttonemusi ... en/s-SJXMC

Andrew
CONTEMPORARY POP INSTRUMENTAL CUES are needed by a U.K.-based Music Library that's using TAXI as its primary source of new music for a large-scale catalog expansion. Please submit modern, Mid-to-Up-Tempo Instrumental Cues in the stylistic wheelhouse of the references below:

NOTE: We recently ran this request as a TAXI Dispatch Listing (TAXI #D190314CP) but the company asked us to run this request to our full membership list to see if we could find them more material. If you submitted to TAXI #D190314CP, please submit different cues this time around!

“Wild” by Jonas Blue ft. Chelcee Grimes, TINI, Jhay Cortez:

“365” by Zedd, Katy Perry:

“Say My Name” by David Guetta, Bebe Rexha & J Balvin:

Although the references have vocals, this request is for Instrumental Cues only.

Please send well-crafted Instrumental Cues that have catchy melodies, infectious rhythms, and contemporary-sounding productions. Build your Cues around a central melodic theme while adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation as they progress to create dynamics, interest, and forward movement. This company needs a lot of material. Be sure to give them something fresh that could be used in a variety of placements!

TAXI Tip: You’d be smart to avoid submitting anything that’s overly busy for this pitch, as that could distract from dialogue.

All submissions should be about 1:30 in length, give or take, with non-faded, button/stinger endings. Do NOT copy the referenced artists or songs in any way, shape, or form. Use them only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed.

Susanstunes
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Non-Busy, Melodic Contemporary Pop! :D

Post by Susanstunes » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:35 pm

Hi Andrew,
I feel like the groove and essentially the song starts too late. Maybe the first time the melody comes in bring the drums along instead of waiting for the drums... Or start the melody and drums at :10- that's where it wants to start for me. At :20 I'm bobbing my head...
The theme seems to move around too much like it is trying to find itself. It has a nice vibe to it, though. Compared to "Wild", it is a bit soft in tone, volume and overall sonic impact.

Hope my 2 cents help because I'd like to hear it again with changes!
Susan

www.soundcloud.com/susanhillman
www.susanhillmanmusic.com
www.instagram.com/susanhillmanmusic

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:34 am

Thanks for the feedback, Susan! :) I’ve got some ideas in my head to address a few of the things you mentioned. Much appreciated!

ResonantTone
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by ResonantTone » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:06 am

Here's the updated version if anyone would like to throw any more thoughts my way. I *think* I was able to address a few issues and give it more "sonic impact" as Susan so eloquently put it.

https://soundcloud.com/resonanttonemusi ... 13/s-xvycU

Thanks in advance!

Andrew

andygabrys
Total Pro
Total Pro
Location: Summerland, BC by way of Santa Fe, Chilliwack, Boston, NYC

Post by andygabrys » Thu Apr 04, 2019 11:35 am

IMO....

the other songs are rhythmically driven straight off. Each one of them starts with an implied tresillo type figure with either percussion, or a very percussive synth / sampled sound.

Yours has a more sleepy vibe starting with the sustained synths which is accentuated by the soft side stick / snare sound. You are kind of copping the tropical pop groove with the "tresillo" but your song is very soft and mellow. I the sustained thick synths keep it down and mellow.

If you wanted to revamp yours:

1) chuck the sustained synths - save them for a later part that adds as a layer onto your new arrangement. Change the sound to something more atmospheric and much thinner or radically filter them so it accomplishes the same thing. Bathe in reverb and make it a totally background layer

2) analyze the 3 refs. What structure do they have? how do they build off the initial motif? What character are the synth sounds?

3) come up with your own music ideas that build off what you heard.

4) final mix - again IMO...... your drum sounds can be a lot harder hitting. What are you using for kick and for snares? Its not a magic bullet but you need some impact! Try the Kick Vault, the claps, and the analog snares from this: https://www.echosoundworks.com/free-downloads - check the license terms as well when you use them (usually found in the download folder) so you know what you can do with them.

HTH (hope that helps).