None Of My Heroes Have Ever Been Cowboys

Want your lyics reviewed? Post 'em up!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

lwj001
Impressive
Impressive

None Of My Heroes Have Ever Been Cowboys

Post by lwj001 » Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:52 am

http://www.pic-a-pagediscounts.com/Real ... 6.htmlThis is one of those "reply-to" numbers:None Of My Heroes Have Ever Been Cowboys (Larry W. Jones 07/06/2007) (song#4773)Waylon and Willie dreamed of being a cowboyThey loved those cowboy waysThey pursued the life of their high-riding heroesAnd they burned up their childhood daysThey broke all the rules like a modern day drifterAnd nothing could hold them too longThey took what they wanted then left all the cowgirlsWith the words of a sad country songWell, none of my heroes have ever been cowboysCause cowboys aren't what they seemThey're always in search of, and one step in back ofThemselves and their fast moving dreamsModern day cowboys ain't nothin' specialTheir brand of misery is being aloneThey'll die from the cold in the arms of a nightmareCause their best days have all been long goneA yesterday's looker, now just a has-beenThey rode the trail that took youth awayTheir old worn out saddles and old worn out mem'riesAre all that is left for Waylon and Willie todayWell, none of my heroes have ever been cowboysCause cowboys aren't what they seemThey're always in search of, and one step in back ofThemselves and their fast moving dreamsDrugstore cowboys, Waylon and Willie
Kingwood Kowboy
Member of:
BMI (Broadcast Music Inc)
WMA (Western Music Assn)
HARA (Hawai'i Academy of Recording Arts)
http://www.kingwoodkowboy.com/

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Re: None Of My Heroes Have Ever Been Cowboys

Post by carr » Sun Jul 08, 2007 11:04 am

Drugstore cowboys,Now THATS a title

lwj001
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lwj001 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:03 pm

Well pardner, all I can say is that it's vital that the title be interesting if you're gonna use it in musical recital.It might even entitle one to royalties as the writeler.
Kingwood Kowboy
Member of:
WMA (Western Music Assn)

carr
Impressive
Impressive

Post by carr » Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:17 pm

Quote:Well pardner, all I can say is that it's vital that the title be interesting if you're gonna use it in musical recital.It might even entitle one to royalties as the writeler. That slipped right by me.Nottoomany people postinglyrics in here or commenting yet they do it in Peer to peer. Job for the moderators methinks

lwj001
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lwj001 » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:18 pm

Quote:Nottoomany people postinglyrics in here or commenting yet they do it in Peer to peer.Job for the moderators methinksThanks carr. I, too, wondered why Lyric Loversdidn't have much action. So, I posted one in Peer to Peerjust to see what happens.
Kingwood Kowboy
Member of:
WMA (Western Music Assn)

vermeer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vermeer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:30 am

Just one question: What's the meter on each line? I tried counting and I get all sorts of numbers from line to line. The meter is really important if you want others to be able to put music to it. I think the reason there's not much action here is beacuse most times the Taxi listings are about complete songs (lyrics + music) or music only. Almost nobody is looking for lyrics alone as it requires an Elton John or Burt Bacarach talent to write a hit from lyrics alone.Just my 2 cents.Vermeer

lwj001
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lwj001 » Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:01 pm

Howdy vermeer."What's the meter on each line? I tried counting and I get all sorts of numbers from line to line."I'll have to admit, that's one of my many shortfalls. I just write 'em mostly as prose and let somebody else labor over the rearrangements to fit the music in.I'm still trying to figure this out:"If each beat in a measure is divided into two parts, it is simple meter, and if divided into three it is compound. If each measure is divided into two beats, it is duple meter, and if three it is triple. Some people also label quadruple, while some consider it as two duples. The latter is more consistent with the above labeling system, as any other division above triple, such as quintuple, is considered as duple+triple (12123) or triple+duple (12312), depending on the accents in the musical example. However, in some music a quintuple may be treated and perceived as one unit of five, especially at faster tempos. Issues involving meter in song reflect a combination of musical meter and poetic meter, especially when the song is in a standard verse form. Traditional and popular songs fall heavily within a limited range of meters, leading to a fair amount of interchangeability."
Kingwood Kowboy
Member of:
WMA (Western Music Assn)

vermeer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vermeer » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:25 pm

Not this meter The one that counts syllables. The reason I use the word meter instead of "syllable count" is because syllables can be stretched or shorten. It's better to ask "what's the meter for that line?"-------------------------------Example:-------------------------------(verse 1)I knew when I met you ---> meter = 6That I had found ---> meter = 4A love that looks so true ---> meter = 6Love without bounds ---> meter = 4-------------------------------* This example demonstrates that lyric lines are often symmetrical: see how line 1 and 3 not only rhyme: they have common meter. Same thing for line 2 and 4.* It's easier for someone to write a melody if they know the meter for each verse, chorus, bridge, etc.* Each song section has a certain number of bars anyway, so even if you wanted to "break the rules", you would run out of time.* It's also better to break your lines into shorter meter counts. 4 to 9 is ideal and most flexible. No more than 10 or 12. * Writing your lyrics in this way will show that you know your craft and it will be easier for others to fit music to it.* This is what Bernie Toupin did with Elton John: his lines were already metered and balanced. Elton would just sing them while trying different chords and melodies, and he knew he didn't have to rewrite the lyrics. This allowed them to write together while communicating with a fax.For more details, check Jason Blume's "6 Steps to songwriting success", pp107-109.Hope it helps.Vermeer

lwj001
Impressive
Impressive

Post by lwj001 » Mon Jul 30, 2007 9:23 pm

Hey, thanks vermeer for taking the time to educate me (and others who will read your input).I will pay more attention to the musical aspect now,even though I don't write music.regards.....LWJ
Kingwood Kowboy
Member of:
WMA (Western Music Assn)

vermeer
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by vermeer » Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:17 am

No problems. That's the whole idea behind metering: to write lyrics without specifying melody, tempo or chords.Just look at it as "construction material" for a house. You build those beautiful ceramic tiles that comes in 6x6 and 12x12 inches. Knowing that, anyone can take your material and put it it their architectural plan knowing that it will fit the room perfectly. They would also be able to figure out the cost and buy from you in advance.That's the powers of standardized sizes. And this takes nothing away from your artistry