Cos I think about the great beyond
And the friends of mine who still live on
Somewhere out there north of the sky

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: North of the Sky demo

Post by cosmicdolphin » Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:56 pm

Nice song but the lyrics are far too specific for sync use.

SpecialGuestVillain
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SpecialGuestVillain » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:03 am

We've been through this before. Details are the lifeblood of good writing, whether lyrics, novels, plays, scripts or poetry. That's been true for thousands of years. Otherwise, the result will be writing that is bland, cliched and forgettable.

I don't care about synch.

I'd be interested in seeing anything you've written which you believe are good lyrical examples.

cassmcentee
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cassmcentee » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:25 am

SpecialGuestVillain wrote:
Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:03 am
I'd be interested in seeing anything you've written which you believe are good lyrical examples.
"Better to gain 10 fans than to lose one"
Robert "Cass" McEntee
"Making music on a spinning ball of Magma"
https://soundcloud.com/robert-cass-mcentee
https://www.taxi.com/members/DosPalmasRecordings

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:18 pm

I don't care about synch.
That's fine but if your posting it up on the Taxi forum expect people to think you're interested in getting your songs into film & TV
I mainly make instrumentals now because I know my vocals won't cut it for sync. However, as you asked here is the first song I submitted to Taxi back in the day for listing #S170822SS for Indie Folk - it was Forwarded and got me my 2nd Library deal in 2017..someone else sang it. It was played on a Taxi TV somewhere around the time as well and was featured in the Taxi Top 10 of that month.

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/every-piece-of-me

Like it says in the LIstings - Universal lyrics..no specific names - places. Songs for sync are there to support the story...not tell the story.

Every Piece Of Me

Vs1
When the world woke up I was breathing you in
The feel of your skin next to mine
Like the sun through the trees
And the soft Autumn breeze
Laying here feelin' fine

PC
We could steal another day away
We could make it all worthwhile

Chorus
Spend this day with me
I promise you my smile
Take each piece of me
'Til every piece of you ...is mine

As the sunset fades and I'm caught in your gaze
A billion stars light your eyes
And the world breathes in just to feel you exhale
But we can't say our goodbyes

RPT PC
RPT CH

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:43 pm

Not everything posted here is for sync. Robert George has been on this forum, sharing his "Couch Grouch" lyrics (with or without co-writers) for as long as I can remember. He's a very prolific lyric writer who writes really interesting stuff, so much so, that he has his own forum section here, "Couch Grouch Lyrics" (where we are right now).

Go Couch Grouch! 8-) And nice to "see" you again, my old friend Cameron! :D

Best,
:D Casey

SpecialGuestVillain
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by SpecialGuestVillain » Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:57 pm

Dolphin, this is a repeat of our last conversation.

We have different approaches to songwriting. With regard to what you posted...there are so, SO many love songs. Millions of them. And they're all identical. Loaded with saccharine cliches. Yours is no different. I mean no offense at all but I know of no other way to say it. If your main creative goal is "synch", that's going to be the result.

If that is your chief concern, good for you and I wish you well.

If you've moved on to instrumentals in pursuit of "synch", here's my two cents on that: most modern instrumentals are little more than musical bubble baths. Computers are now omni-present and so people sit there and tinker for hours making soundscapes with their programs. The end results of those endeavors resemble what wafts from my ambient sound machine. Aural incense. Love is Blue by Paul Mauriat, THAT's an instrumental.

I suspect we'll have this discussion again.

I hope not.

thanks, Casey. :)

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:32 pm

Of course, lyrics for sync are not completely devoid of creativity. True, they leave out highly specific details but they also don't have to be cliche soup. Expressing common emotions in creative ways is a skill to itself. It's not "either/or" when it comes to lyric writing. I'd like to think I've written some pretty darn good lyrics for Film/TV songs.

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Fri Jul 02, 2021 12:57 am

Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:57 pm
With regard to what you posted...there are so, SO many love songs. Millions of them. And they're all identical. Loaded with saccharine cliches. Yours is no different. I mean no offense at all but I know of no other way to say it.
None taken but there's also millions of clichéd Country songs that are all identical - full of cheesy Americanisms , drinking and people generally having a bad time of things. You could level the same criticism at many genres really, but people like cheese and they like to consume saccharine - there's nothing new.
Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:57 pm
If you've moved on to instrumentals in pursuit of "synch", here's my two cents on that: most modern instrumentals are little more than musical bubble baths. Computers are now omni-present and so people sit there and tinker for hours making soundscapes with their programs. The end results of those endeavors resemble what wafts from my ambient sound machine.
Yes I joined Taxi in order to be accepted into Libraries, get placements and earn royalties - the instrumentals are a means to that end. I've written everything from 50's style Rock n Roll, Orchestral , Trailer Music, Pop, EDM , Hip Hop, Rock, Funk, Dubstep and yes...Ambient Electronica. People make them because that's what the TV shows are asking for, there is still an art to making a good one that will get licensed and you still get paid the same as any other music.

If you prefer stuff from the 60s that's fine...I like a lot of 80s stuff I grew up with but it's not relevant to the current TV - Film market unless the show is set in the past. They want music that sounds contemporary. And lyrics that are universal. If you've no interest in writing for libraries I'll try and remember next time but no guarantees.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:31 am

With everything being so much about Film/TV now, we often forget that it's not the only reason to write songs. Way back when people posted a song for review, my first question would be, "What is your goal for the song?... Your own artist release? Personal pleasure? Pitch for cut by other artists? Play at gigs? Film/TV placement?" It's not one size fits all. And nothing wrong with posting a song or lyric here that what written with other goals in mind though it's probably best to let us know.

Regarding lyrics, cliches, etc. Real talent is being able to say something that's been said a million times before in a unique and different way. Not always easy, especially with typical love songs. Describe a situation or feeling with "show me, don't tell me". That applies to lyric writing for pretty much any target.

One of my favorite contemporary examples of saying something that's been said before in a unique way is the Billie Eilish song, "Wish You Were Gay". Many songs are about unrequited love. But here she says how maybe it would hurt less if he was gay, not about her personally. Genius IMHO. https://youtu.be/yaJx0Gj_LCY

However, if you write cliche, make the music so damn good no one cares. Think about "I Will Always Love You", written by Dolly Parton and made a hit by Whitney Houston. That's a fairly cliche line that to itself might not be all that effective. But combine it with the melody hook and powerful singing and it's magic.

Two rules of songwriting:
(1) Follow all the songwriting "rules" (including avoiding cliches).
(2) A killer hook eliminates rule #1.