Feedback on Taxi's current listings.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Not Enough Emotion?

Post by Danny » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:16 pm

Hey Guys,

I has this listing returned because the screener said , "You have the right idea but the track could use a little more emotion."

Very interesting. The reference ques are basically cool orchestra beds in the backround that have some moments of tension.

This listing REQUESTED , "Cues that use a range of instrumentation to create an anxious, anticipatory feeling. Your pieces can include some hybrid elements, and orchestral Instrumentation, as long as they are tension-inducing."

I submitted this : https://soundcloud.com/funkstation-stud ... of-tyranny

Please let me know if the track does not create an anxious, tense, or anticipitory feelings.

If you don't agree with me, no hard feelings at all. I do not claim to be Hans Zimmer. I would like some outside opinions on this compared to what the listing asked for.

D170406DT

DRAMATIC TENSION CUES in All Tempos are needed for several NON-Exclusive, Direct-to-Music Supervisor Placements in a tremendously popular Reality TV Show on the Lifetime Network. They’re looking for dramatic-sounding Tension Cues that you might hear on shows like (but not limited to) My Kid’s Obsession, My Great Escape, Dance Moms, etc., etc., etc. Please listen to the following references to get an idea of the range of styles they’re looking for: “My Kid’s Obsession” (:00 to :40) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO2SjCtmB_Q “Toddlers and Tiaras” (:46 to 1:03) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmL2d_yl8so “Dance Moms” (0:00 to 1:33) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZgPdVOea18 Please submit Instrumental Cues that use a range of instrumentation to create an anxious, anticipatory feeling. Your pieces can include some hybrid elements, and orchestral Instrumentation, as long as they are tension-inducing. Anything that sounds stiff, dated, or obviously quantized won’t work for this pitch. Build your Cue around a central melodic theme that would support tension-filled scenes, while adding and subtracting layers of instrumentation as it progresses to create forward momentum. Avoid submitting anything too busy or frenetic, as it might distract from dialogue. Your submissions should be no more than 2 minutes long. Absolutely No faded endings for this pitch. Do NOT copy or rip off the referenced material in any way, shape, or form. Use it only as a general guide for tempo, tone, and overall vibe. Broadcast Quality is needed (great sounding home recordings are fine). This is a Direct-to-Music Supervisor placement, so you’ll keep 100% ownership of your Master and Composition rights, plus you’ll also get 100% of any applicable sync fees and any applicable performance royalties. You must own or control your Master and Copyright to pitch for this opportunity. Please submit one to three Songs online or per CD. All submissions will be screened on a Yes/No basis (no full critiques), and must be received no later than 11:59PM (PDT), on Thursday, April 6th, 2017. TAXI #D170406DT

mikehamm123
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Not Enough Emotion?

Post by mikehamm123 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:10 pm

I liked the piece a lot, perhaps it could have been darker?

I think the bell cheered it up a bit :)

Nice writing/arrangement. For me this sounded more about action than tension but it did have tension/anticipation.
Mike

===========

https://mikehammmusic.com

waveheavy
Impressive
Impressive

Post by waveheavy » Mon May 01, 2017 1:04 pm

Yeah, sounded more like an Action cue. A Tension cue is an Action cue, but subdued, most often under dialogue.

What's the first thing presented in your cue? Mission Impossible hits with heavy drums. And you repeated that what, four times at the intro? Lot of orchestral hits come later also. I'm pretty sure they were expecting some kind of medium-soft drone for the background in this listing, and that's where they were referring to the idea of emotion. Remember dialogue; how well does a cue with a lot of orchestral hits work with dialogue? It doesn't, which is why action sequences with a lot of hits are used with heavy action with a lot of movement that has very little if any dialogue. A tension cue most often has dialogue. So there's another probable reason. And note the listing did say, "Avoid submitting anything too busy or frenetic, as it might distract from dialogue."

Danny
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Danny » Mon May 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Thanks for the insight guys,

Yeah. Sometimes there is a fine line between action and tension. Depending on the show or scene.

It's always great to get another ear on my piece aside from a screener :-)