Not feeling return...S210529HF

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Not feeling return...S210529HF

Post by swdaze » Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:53 am

Swapped out the sounds just wondering if this was a step in the right direction?

Will address sound libraries in near future.

Geo
A square peg can be an elegant solution to a round hole

Paulie
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by Paulie » Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:52 pm

Lots of good feedback here. As far as Logic pianos go, there are several great sounding pianos. For a long time I was using The Gentleman for my piano stuff, I later added the Alicia Keys piano, then Noire for really emotional, effected stuff. Keyscape by Spectrasonics is quite popular, but a little expensive ($399 I think). But there are also Taxi members here that have had plenty of forwards and placements using the stock ESX sampler Steinway.

I think whatever you have layered with the piano in the intro needs to be dropped way back in the mix, or removed entirely. Piano itself sounds fine to me.

PC
Paul "yo paulie!" Croteau
"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." Beethoven
http://www.yopauliemusic.com | https://www.taxi.com/members/paulcroteau | https://youtube.com/@yopauliemusic

irthlingz
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by irthlingz » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:23 am

When we first joined Taxi, we were using a piano sound from our Korg N364 keyboard, which we had always liked. But we got consistent negative comments on that sound here. So we invested in the Modartt Pianoteq 6 Studio Bundle. Zero complaints about piano sound since then. It also gives us other instruments, like tuned percussion (e.g. marimba, xylophone) and harps.

===
Michael and Sharon

Picardster
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Picardster » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:30 pm

As someone who also struggles with sounding contemporary at times, I have to admit that I can hear it here. But aren't we all better perceiving the character of the tunes made by others than the one of our owns...?

One reason, btw, for which I hardly criticize anything in here, although I do listen to quite some tracks....

BTW: I've had some negative critiques with the LOGIC Pianos as well in the past. It became better when I used the Yamaha instead of the Steinway and tweaked it a bit according to guys like Finneas. Cut off the highs, give it lows and make it soft. It is amazing how this guy, Finneas, gets away with clipping signals, uncleaned mixes etc. He just produces according to what people want to listen to - and then they overhear what is criticized in work many of us deliver....ust my 2 cents, without being frustrated at all!

Hope that was a bit constructive and helpful. :-)

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:08 am

Paulie wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:52 pm
Lots of good feedback here. As far as Logic pianos go, there are several great sounding pianos. For a long time I was using The Gentleman for my piano stuff, I later added the Alicia Keys piano, then Noire for really emotional, effected stuff. Keyscape by Spectrasonics is quite popular, but a little expensive ($399 I think). But there are also Taxi members here that have had plenty of forwards and placements using the stock ESX sampler Steinway.

I think whatever you have layered with the piano in the intro needs to be dropped way back in the mix, or removed entirely. Piano itself sounds fine to me.

PC
Gracias Paulie!

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:09 am

irthlingz wrote:
Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:23 am
When we first joined Taxi, we were using a piano sound from our Korg N364 keyboard, which we had always liked. But we got consistent negative comments on that sound here. So we invested in the Modartt Pianoteq 6 Studio Bundle. Zero complaints about piano sound since then. It also gives us other instruments, like tuned percussion (e.g. marimba, xylophone) and harps.

===
Michael and Sharon
Cool will check out thanks!

swdaze
Impressive
Impressive

Post by swdaze » Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:12 am

Picardster wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:30 pm
As someone who also struggles with sounding contemporary at times, I have to admit that I can hear it here. But aren't we all better perceiving the character of the tunes made by others than the one of our owns...?

One reason, btw, for which I hardly criticize anything in here, although I do listen to quite some tracks....

BTW: I've had some negative critiques with the LOGIC Pianos as well in the past. It became better when I used the Yamaha instead of the Steinway and tweaked it a bit according to guys like Finneas. Cut off the highs, give it lows and make it soft. It is amazing how this guy, Finneas, gets away with clipping signals, uncleaned mixes etc. He just produces according to what people want to listen to - and then they overhear what is criticized in work many of us deliver....ust my 2 cents, without being frustrated at all!

Thank you Captain!! I believe part of my problem is I doin't really like a lot of modern stuff. Starting to force feed myself the radio on the drive to work everyday. It's helping... a little...
Also I was doing the exact opposite to my piano... cutting the lows and boosting highs.
Live and learn.

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:29 am

swdaze wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:12 am
Picardster wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:30 pm

Thank you Captain!! I believe part of my problem is I doin't really like a lot of modern stuff. Starting to force feed myself the radio on the drive to work everyday. It's helping... a little...
Also I was doing the exact opposite to my piano... cutting the lows and boosting highs.
Live and learn.
It's pretty hard if you don't listen to or like contemporary music. And if you don't enjoy something, it probably won't work for you. Definitely give it a shot though. Put on Spotify and listen to their playlists of modern music like Indie, Singer Songwriter, Rock, etc. Another option for you as far as getting songs in libraries is stay retro but make your tracks sound very authentic to the style and era. Can't be a mish mosh. Movies and TV shows are often looking for music that sounds like a date in time like 1968 or 1981, etc. If you, for made up examples, love making songs that sound like Journey or Fleetwood Mac, then go all the way.

And seeking out collaborators is always good. I'm well into my 60s and with out my collaborators and/or producers, I would never have modern sounding songs.

One more thing about listening to Spotify for contemporary. A lot of singer-songwriter and/or indie stuff is pretty simple-- acoustic guitar and a few instruments. So writing/producing those styles isn't as hard. But again, it has to click for you.

Good luck!
:D Casey