Not great, but forward anyway

Got a forward? Wanna brag about it? Post it up.

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

mixopenta
Impressive
Impressive

Not great, but forward anyway

Post by mixopenta » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:03 am

Today I received a forward for the listing:An East Coast Production Music Library/Publisher with tons of TAXI deals/placements through the years wants NEW AGE INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) in ALL STYLES [Neo-Classical, Ambient, Celtic, Ethnic Fusion, etc.] for use in corporate videos, TV, film, radio, and commercial productions. Great performances are a must. Broadcast quality needed [excellent sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three tracks online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than March 22, 2007. TAXI # S070322NA This is the first time I had a forward along with somewhat negative critique. Not that I don't agree with everything the screener has to say, and I will take it to heart and make the suggested changes (I'm assuming I'll not be contacted by the listing party for this one), I just found it a bit peculiar to find a forward along with suggestions for improvement.Anybody else sharing this experience?

jeffe
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Not great, but forward anyway

Post by jeffe » Mon Apr 16, 2007 1:23 am

Yes, me too.I've had a forward with advice. It's good to take in what they comment on, but not take it as gospel. One screener will pick holes in it and another screener may be completely different. It's all based on their experiences of music, and as we know, each individuals exposure to the world of music is different.I think it takes more than one opinion to clarify shortcomings in a composition. If you've submitted the work several times, and they all point out the same things then you can be quite confident that they are right.
It's been said that I have Murderous eyes.

davewalton
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by davewalton » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:24 am

Quote:Today I received a forward for the listing:An East Coast Production Music Library/Publisher with tons of TAXI deals/placements through the years wants NEW AGE INSTRUMENTALS (no vocals) in ALL STYLES [Neo-Classical, Ambient, Celtic, Ethnic Fusion, etc.] for use in corporate videos, TV, film, radio, and commercial productions. Great performances are a must. Broadcast quality needed [excellent sounding home recordings are OK]. Please submit one to three tracks online or per CD. All submissions will be screened and critiqued by TAXI and must be received no later than March 22, 2007. TAXI # S070322NA This is the first time I had a forward along with somewhat negative critique. Not that I don't agree with everything the screener has to say, and I will take it to heart and make the suggested changes (I'm assuming I'll not be contacted by the listing party for this one), I just found it a bit peculiar to find a forward along with suggestions for improvement.Anybody else sharing this experience?By hitting the target of the listing, some things about the production or whatever could apparently be overlooked. Of course what you ultimately want are forwards AND nothing that has to be overlooked... hence the suggestions for improvement. I think a screener wouldn't be doing their job if they didn't make suggestions for improvement on any level. Some time back somebody made a post (not a complaint, just for our info) that they had received straight 10's across the board but didn't get forwarded because the music wasn't on target for the listing. These are just good indications of how important it is to hit the target of the listing. Forwards aren't easy to come by. Congratulations!Dave

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:27 am

I submitted three songs to this listing and all were returned. The screener said this was a high bar listing so I think this is a very good accomplishment for you.As you know, music is open for interpretation and a different screener may have even returned the piece to you. Every piece of music could be "improved", even if it gets airplay. If I think a song sucks, someone else may get goosebumps every time it comes on the radio. Your material was obviously good enough to make it over the high bar but maybe a couple of tweaks could make it even better. Then again, maybe not. It's really up to you what you do with the feedback. Congratulations on the forward. If I had a glass of champagne here at the coffee house, I probably would take a swallow.Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!

gitarrero
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by gitarrero » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:45 am

...I submitted two songs for this listing and both got forwarded - I didn't notice that it was high bar, but now that I know it I'm a little more proud of this forward cheers,Martin
production, composition & stringed instruments

crs7string
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by crs7string » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:16 am

I had some good fortune with listing also. Three submitted-three forwards.I guess I've listened to too much Yanni!!Chuck
http://www.TAXI.com/crs7string

"Don't give me time, give me a deadline". Duke Ellington

mixopenta
Impressive
Impressive

Post by mixopenta » Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:31 pm

Well Congrats to everybody who were forwarded! And Mazz, I know you're waay ahead of me, so the return was just a "glitch in the machine". I think the advice given by the screener would definitely improve the songs, it just came as a surprise to find them being forwarded though they needed (major) tweaking.The screeners advice was basically that the songs were kind of aimless, and that I should try putting some guiding melody to top it off. My basic intent with the songs was that they should easily be adapted to a voiceover. My impression from watching Discovery, Animal Planet, National Geographic, etc, is that bed tracks shouldn't be obtrusive in any way, but merely support the imagery and narration. I never really looked at these kind of tracks as "real" songs.However, it's dawned on me that melody seems to be sought after by most of these parties after all, which also have been pointed out by esteemed members of this board on other songs I submitted here for review.These are all steps in my learning, so when I now create new tracks I'll consider them to function as "real" songs as well as bedtracks.

mazz
Total Pro
Total Pro

Post by mazz » Tue Apr 17, 2007 6:47 am

I understand your inclination to leave the melody out. I think if they ask for it, it is probably a good idea to put it in, even if they say it would be for atmospheric uses. Remember, if you bounce all your tracks to audio (even if you don't, I just find it easier), you can always do a mix without melody. If they take your piece, they may want that version as well anyway. Congrats again,Mazz
Evocative Music For Media

imagine if John Williams and Trent Reznor met at Bernard Hermann's for lunch and Brian Eno was the head chef!
http://www.johnmazzei.com
http://www.taxi.com/johnmazzei

it's not the gear, it's the ear!