Not helpful critic

Liked your review? Rave about it! Hated it, let us know!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

rtucker

Not helpful critic

Post by rtucker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:09 am

Listener ID # 229Hey, I submitted 3 songs and this a critic for one of them, have a listen and see what you think.La dee da'n da da da - http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true <b>Is this a joke song? Either this is genius or ridiculous, still working it out</b> <i> how exactly does this help me?<P>Overall - HI RobbieI don't know where to start. These are very original and interesting songs. Either you are channeling the Beatles during Sgt Pepper period or you are doing a lot of crazy drugs (like the Beatles at that point). Not quite as genius as the Beatles im afraid!Robbie

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Re: Not helpful critic

Post by Casey H » Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:56 am

Quote:Listener ID # 229Hey, I submitted 3 songs and this a critic for one of them, have a listen and see what you think.La dee da'n da da da - http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... tream=true <b>Is this a joke song? Either this is genius or ridiculous, still working it out</b> <i> how exactly does this help me?<P>Overall - HI RobbieI don't know where to start. These are very original and interesting songs. Either you are channeling the Beatles during Sgt Pepper period or you are doing a lot of crazy drugs (like the Beatles at that point). Not quite as genius as the Beatles im afraid!RobbieHiIt IS very McCartney like including your voice ... Can you post the ENTIRE critique?It is very short at 1:07. What listing did you submit it for? Can you post that too? Casey

rtucker

full review

Post by rtucker » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:25 pm

Name Robbie Tucker Listing # S070703AATitle: la dee da'n da da daN/A 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (10=best) Music Lyrics Marketability Arrangement Production Engineering Musicianship Lead VocalIs this a joke song? Either this is genius or ridiculous, still working it out.Status: Forward ReturnTitle: Mrs MarissaN/A 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (10=best) Music Lyrics Marketability Arrangement Production Engineering Musicianship Lead VocalQuirky and original. Nice melodic sectional variation. Fun! Nice time change adding good diversity.Status: Forward ReturnTitle: Jason MichaelN/A 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 (10=best) Music Lyrics Marketability Arrangement Production Engineering Musicianship Lead VocalInteresting sectional variation. Crazy song! There are sections of Jesus Christ Superstar in this .....?!Status: Forward ReturnStyle On target for this listing Hard to classify Not close enough to what listing asked for Not "current" sounding Style not consistent enough from song to song for an artist pitchNot in the same style as the artists named in the listing.Overall CommentsHI RobbieI don't know where to start. These are very original and interesting songs. Either you are channeling the Beatles during Sgt Pepper period or you are doing a lot of crazy drugs (like the Beatles at that point). Not quite as genius as the Beatles im afraid!Wild Stuff!The main reason(s) you were or were not forwarded for this listing is:Stylistically not right for this listing.Listener ID # 229

Casey H
King of the World
King of the World

Post by Casey H » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:44 pm

Hi RobbieYou didn't post the text of the listing but from what I can read this was an artist pitch which means it was very competitive and required (I assume) very modern style material. I only listened to one of these 3 songs, and although it may be very good, there isn't much someone can say when you try to pitch Beatles sounding material to a current artist. It usually just doesn't work. Not that Beatles-sounding isn't great! I am a huge Beatles fan and my music is very influenced by them. Is the critique helpful? Well, if you read it as I did that your music was too "out there" and Beatles-like, there is something to learn.Take heart!! For film and TV, quirky, different, and dated songs are often very marketable. BTW, do you have the text for that listing? Casey

jlaplante

Post by jlaplante » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:49 pm

I just listened to your song. It is very short. I think that is the main problem with it. It is more like a jingle than a song. I say this because I can't remember ever hearing a song on the radio that was only 1:04. I do think it sounds like it should be in a TV commercial. It would be a good candidate for that avenue of songwriting. Also, I can tell that it is not very produced and it sounds very off the cuff (recorded in one take.) That might have hurt you a bit. I do think it was rude for the screener to call it a joke song. Overall, I wouldn't buy it on iTunes, if John Mayer recorded it, I would think John Mayer had totally lost his mind, but if I heard it as part of a TV commercial, I would probably tap my foot, enjoy it, possibly sing along, and look forward to the next time I saw the commercial. That is my brutally honest opinion.