not sure about renewing Taxi

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

larrymagee
Impressive
Impressive

not sure about renewing Taxi

Post by larrymagee » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 pm

I've had 313 forwards (mostly instrumentals) since I've joined at the beginning of 2015. Taxi has gotten me into some really great libraries and I've had 80 different songs and cues used on TV. Screener #416 may be my undoing. He's raised the bar so high that I can only get very few forwards through him and he seems to be reviewing almost everything I submit. I'm in a position where I can just focus on the libraries I'm in so it might be time for me to not renew next month.

Are any of you guys finding it much harder to get forwards?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: not sure about renewing Taxi

Post by cosmicdolphin » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:03 pm

larrymagee wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 pm
Taxi has gotten me into some really great libraries and I've had 80 different songs and cues used on TV.
Wow. 80 placements..that's great ! I am up to about 30 now so you are some way ahead. Congrats to you.

It depends on you point of view I guess, mine was to learn for a couple of years, get into some good Libraries and then Taxi would have served it's purpose and I could continue writing for those Libraries and some I'd gotten into myself. So that's pretty much what I did..2 years - steep learning curve and to be honest I can't really write as much music as those Libraries could take from me so I don't really feel the need to add more.

OTOH -Some folks like trying new listings , keeps them motivated and listening to new reference tracks etc. And if you can make the RR then it's good value for the membership.

I can't comment whether it's harder to get Forwards but Libraries sure can be just as picky as the Screeners. Then again I've had returns placed on TV , and I've had rejects from Library A placed by Library B so who really knows ?

Mark

johnlewitt
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by johnlewitt » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:24 am

Larry,

Have you been to the Rally? IMO, that's what makes Taxi worthwhile. If you haven't been, then it's a lot of money to be spending on listings when you've already got contacts with libraries.

John

JohnnyP
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Post by JohnnyP » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:07 pm

johnlewitt wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:24 am
Larry,

Have you been to the Rally? IMO, that's what makes Taxi worthwhile. If you haven't been, then it's a lot of money to be spending on listings when you've already got contacts with libraries.

John
Hi Larry! And congrats on the placements! That's impressive

What John wrote in the quote above makes a bunch of sense to me...

I was in a situation similar to yours a few months ago. I have direct contact with a lot of libraries as you do and I can submit directly to them. But... To me Taxi offers certain things libraries can't provide. Direct to Music Supe pitches and Advertisement pitches. In addition, I just met a great new library through a forward about 2 months ago. And I've been a member for 5 years...
Again to what John posted ,the Road Rally has been the most helpful thing about my Taxi membership. I always meet new people, and have creative epiphanies when I'm there. I wouldn't miss it. Hope that helps a bit and again cudos on the success! Best, John
John L Pearson
www.johnptunes.com

larrymagee
Impressive
Impressive

Post by larrymagee » Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:28 pm

thanks. I think I will re-up.

MBantle
Impressive
Impressive

Post by MBantle » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:25 pm

larrymagee wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 pm
I've had 313 forwards (mostly instrumentals) since I've joined at the beginning of 2015. Taxi has gotten me into some really great libraries and I've had 80 different songs and cues used on TV. Screener #416 may be my undoing. He's raised the bar so high that I can only get very few forwards through him and he seems to be reviewing almost everything I submit. I'm in a position where I can just focus on the libraries I'm in so it might be time for me to not renew next month.

Are any of you guys finding it much harder to get forwards?
One of the great things about Taxi are the reference tracks provided in the listings. I had conversations with library people regarding their 'own' listings and some of them deliberately do not provide reference tracks. To be honest, depending on the individual requirements, without reference tracks I find it rather difficult to justify spending the time just to come up with 'something'... so I'd rather write to a listing with reference tracks (such as Taxi) and if there is no response in the context of an individual submission to try and recycle the material through other (less specific) channels afterwards if that makes sense.
Cheers,
Matt