Not sure what to do with this one...

We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Not sure what to do with this one...

Post by ddusty » Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:46 am

Most of the stuff we do falls into the Americana/Rootsy genre, not sure if this one can be classified as such.All of our previous songs were recorded professionally, this is one we did at home for fun (hopefully we will start doing a lot more at home)Curious what you all think...The song is called Watching you go, it is on our taxi site,http://www.taximusic.com/hosting/home.p ... kahpulleyi think this may link to it directly:http://www.taximusic.com/song.php?song_ ... ueWatching You Go:Lyrics by Rebekah PulleyIt's just the two of us in lifeand we were happy all the timethen the next thing that you knowI was watching you gowith someone I did not knowhow it hurt my soulyou little so and soWith olive skin and hair of moonshinea European seaweed findyou know i could not competewith my ruddy Irish feetHow my chest did rise in heatmy eyes they ran like wild steeds but it's not you it's only meI may run to higher groundwhere there's still gooder to be founda quite place beneath the cloudswhere hearts don't break without a soundand mine is gonna poundand pound and pound'til the rising sun goes downNow I see it's only methat's not so much fun as weand the next thing that you knowI'll be eating all alonewatching people I do not knowtalking, laughing, bear their soulso it goes and goesI may run to higher groundwhere there's still gooder to be founda quite place beneath the cloudswhere hearts don't break without a soundand mine is gonna poundand pound and pound'til the rising sun goes down'til the rising sun goes downThanks!

billg
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Re: Not sure what to do with this one...

Post by billg » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:55 am

I love it! Still falls into the Americana/rootsy genre to me. Really like the "sparseness" & live feel . . . It's just a really good song. I'm always a sucker for good "organic" sounding songs(I'm starting to hate that term "organic" but can't think of one better!). -billg

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:41 pm

thanks bill,instead of using a real drummer or a virtual drummer, we just used a snare and some brushes. I think it works good for this tune, Rebekah actually played everything on it except the bass, which was me.It was a lot of fun, We are in the midst of finishing a record in a studio, and i think the next one will be recorded at home.(Soon we are going to start recording specifically for listings, right now we are recording what we want to record, then submit it if it happens to fit.)Rob

eokamura
Impressive
Impressive

Post by eokamura » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Hi there - I just listened to Watching You Go and afew others on your taxi page and I gotta say I prefer your home recording vibe to the studio vibe. It's more intimate and immediate and suitd the vocals nicely. The studio songs are nice as well, but... food for thought. Good stuff though and I do think the new song could be desribed as americana. eo.

elser
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by elser » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:13 pm

I really liked the melody, lyrics and singing, hope you don't mind some comparisons but Norah Jones is the most contemporary but also Edie Brickell and Rickie Lee Jones. You might take a listen to any of those to develop a more coherent, developed style. I guess that's how I would answer 'what to do with this?'. Some specifics...See if you can find another guitar player to contribute, not because the playing is bad but just to bring more personality into it, as I was listening I was hearing the piano and guitar(ukelele?) doing pretty much the same thing and then I read later it was the same person playing both instruments, so then it made sense. The groove seems kind of one dimensional, like it could use some off beat rhythms or a sixteenth note figure or something. You might be doing it already but start visiting some recording forums on the web, that'll help you get the bass sound your looking for and get some separation into the mix etc...Really cool vibe, great singer, good luck. elser

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:33 am

Thanks everyone,eo - that is one of the reasons (besides cost) that we want to do the next one at home. With the "clock ticking" in the studio, it's hard to be creative on the spot, and sometimes we do lose that intimacy which suit Rebekah's vocals.Elser - good points on the grove, the song was written on the ukulele (although live it's usually played on guitar). the electric piano was added later, kind of messing around, but really liked the way it sounded. My main concern with the genre was because of the Ukulele, since it's not a "guitar" song, but I suppose it doesn't sound too different fro a capo'd acoustic.Thanks again!

diogenes
Impressive
Impressive

Post by diogenes » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:52 pm

Nice song! For me it has a Folky Norah Jones Vibe. Well done. I think the recording really serves the song! I really liked the sparse instrumentation (which for me has always been harder to pull off in the studio than some multi-tracked bohemoths!) Good luck.

smaltonian
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by smaltonian » Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:24 am

BILLOh yeah this is definitely AMERICANA rootsy..........which means it is IN ALWAYSI'm not sure what to do with it either.........Some songs "JUST ARE'....Somewhere along the road we were all made to believe we HAVE to DO SOMETHING with a tune....when we started out did we say that? We made music to move people and well..........TO MAKE MUSICBTW........cool vibe

ggalen
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by ggalen » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:57 am

I liked it. Rebekah has got it as a singer. The song is solid, and the home recording works. I think I personally would have preferred just a little bit more fidelity in the recording, though. But don't get hung up on that comment.Overall a great job!

ddusty
Impressive
Impressive

Post by ddusty » Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:04 am

Thanks everyone, I have submitted it to a few listingsS071112AAS071207SSLet's see what TAXI thinks.