We're putting YOU in the drivers seat!

Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Nu Disco

Post by Robertj64 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:11 am

Hi All,

Hope you are all well and safe. I am doing this Nu Disco song for listing S200818DC. I just wanted to get your opinion if I should submit or if there is more work to be done. I really appreciate the feedback. I studied "Get Lucky" for the feel and then took it from there.

Cheers
Robert

https://soundcloud.com/vocalsky/stars-for-the-day
Last edited by Robertj64 on Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gitanosoy
Committed Musician
Committed Musician

Re: Nu Disco

Post by gitanosoy » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:12 am

The track sounds great minus the vocals...the pitch is off specially in the beguining and the end of the phrases.

Good luck

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:40 pm

gitanosoy wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:12 am
The track sounds great minus the vocals...the pitch is off specially in the beguining and the end of the phrases.

Good luck
Thanks Andre

I suspected that the lead vocals were going to haunt me....lol. I fixed them up a bit. They are not glaring as much. I am not sure if they need anything else. Thanks for the feedback and for the help!

Cheers
Robert

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:05 pm

Hey Robert,
I'm sure if I listened to the old track or the new track. ;)
The lead vocal needs some breath support. A different mic position, body posture, level in the monitor mix, whatever... something to make it sound a little less 'shakey'. Maybe shoot some Red Bulls before a take :lol: Basically I'm just saying a fresh vocal dub with more energy behind your delivery, make it pop out a bit more. Other than that, I really like the cut! I'd call it 'chill disco'?

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:29 pm

I like the backing track but.....Vocals are just not up to scratch..not even close IMHO. Just totally off-putting

I would collab and try to get a different singer that can deliver the song properly.

Back in the day we co-wrote a track for a similar listing but we approached someone on the forum who did WAY better job than we could on the vocals...it still got returned ! :o

But this is it for reference ( listening to it a few years later it probably needs a better mix ) : https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/cr ... hdekckI3Di

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:04 pm

AlanHall wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:05 pm
Hey Robert,
I'm sure if I listened to the old track or the new track. ;)
The lead vocal needs some breath support. A different mic position, body posture, level in the monitor mix, whatever... something to make it sound a little less 'shakey'. Maybe shoot some Red Bulls before a take :lol: Basically I'm just saying a fresh vocal dub with more energy behind your delivery, make it pop out a bit more. Other than that, I really like the cut! I'd call it 'chill disco'?

Thanks Alan. I was thinking about that after I posted it. I am going to approach it with fresh vigour. I will try and breathe some life into it. Thanks for confirming my suspicions..

Robertj64
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Robertj64 » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:05 pm

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:29 pm
I like the backing track but.....Vocals are just not up to scratch..not even close IMHO. Just totally off-putting

I would collab and try to get a different singer that can deliver the song properly.

Back in the day we co-wrote a track for a similar listing but we approached someone on the forum who did WAY better job than we could on the vocals...it still got returned ! :o

But this is it for reference ( listening to it a few years later it probably needs a better mix ) : https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/cr ... hdekckI3Di
Thanks Mark. I am going to approach it differently. I don't give up so easily. I can do the backing vocals nicely so I will give it a fresh go.

Cheers and thanks for the feedback.

ScreamieBirds
Getting Busy
Getting Busy

Post by ScreamieBirds » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:29 am

cosmicdolphin wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:29 pm

I was also looking into this listing and checking out NuDisco tutorials to see what i could come up with (since I love Disco), but decided against submitting - the vocals are a challenge. I was hoping to give the OP some feedback but the track was removed. Anyway, I listened to your ref track and, yes, I agree, the vocals aren’t NuDisco or any kind of Disco. They need to be more R&B to capture that Disco sound. Hope this helps.

Kathy
Screamie Birds Studios
http://www.screamiebirds.com

cosmicdolphin
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by cosmicdolphin » Tue Aug 04, 2020 3:40 pm

ScreamieBirds wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:29 am
was hoping to give the OP some feedback but the track was removed.
OP Vocals were pitchy and not professional sounding which is a no-no before you even get to stylistic authenticity.... He said he'd have another attempt so you might be in luck.

The original listing we submitted Crazy for the Ride for was back in 2017 but wasn't Nu Disco iirc , it might have been Funk Pop or something like that ? However it did include one of the same reference tracks " Get Lucky "

But yes, agree about the vocalist for a Disco brief and we did re-work it with another singer when Disco listing came up later ...still got returned ! I think the references were some Nile Rodgers stuff and he played on Get Lucky anyway so ..same difference !

https://soundcloud.com/user-45178330/cr ... Nw1sipC7Kx

The original version is signed into a few Libraries but thus far unplaced though ( as are about 80% of the things you sign in this game )

Not sure I was ever happy with how the remix came out ? Was a few years ago now though.