Moderators: admin, mdc, TAXIstaff

johnnyrowing
Impressive
Impressive

Re: Nuts and Bolts of Submission

Post by johnnyrowing » Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:16 am

Ted wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:54 am
Johnny, really glad the info is a help. I'm sure a lot of people learned this one the hard way. :)

Also, a few more thing to watch... when I am uploading a replacement audio file, it seems like I have to do it twice to make it stick. I don't know why. Sometimes I've uploaded the correct replacement file, but i'd find that it would still be the old file. So I always do it twice to be sure.

Hell, just tonight I had another white-knuckle experience with a submission almost missing a deadline. My brother and I worked all week on an Americana remake of a song-- we were pretty happy with it. After that previous experience I had of missing a deadline because his rural internet service is slow, we still had two hours to finish the mix and submit... and his f*cking internet service went out.

We were furious. I had to get into my car and drive an hour and a half to get back to the city late at night and get my track uploaded and submitted (I'd planned on crashing at my brother's place-- it was late and I'd had a couple drinks). Earlier today I uploaded an early mix to my Taxi page in case I ran into any trouble uploading. When I got back to the city and uploaded the revised final mix, I would have thought it was the correct version but the run time of the track told me it was still the rough mix. I listened and sure enough it was the rough mix. So I uploaded again, and voila, this time it was the right mix. Finally.

Also, as far as submitting early-- I'd advise against doing that if you are planning on doing a revision. Sometimes if you submit to the listing well before the deadline, the track can be screened before the deadline passes and you can't edit it.

Cheers,

Ted
Great stuff Ted. The "early review" thing is something I, again, had NOT thought of. If we ever have a Rally Face-to-Face, I'll have to buy you a beer. :)

Sounds like a crazy adventure just to upload your track man. Ha! Makes me grateful to have reliable internet. I LOVE Americana. So, it'd be great to hear you and your brother's track.

Later,
Johnny

Ted
Impressive
Impressive

Post by Ted » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:25 am

AlanHall wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:15 am
Ted wrote:
the run time of the track told me it was still the rough mix. I listened and sure enough it was the rough mix.
How do you listen to an audio file that has been attached to a submission? I understand that I can be confident (that I have the right file) when I link the submission's audio to the track on my member page, but any uploads directly to the submission form - like what happens when I upload a 'later version' - I don't see as accessible. What am I missing?
From what I recall, the only way you can see what file name was submitted is if you go to edit/update your submission and I think afterward it will display the name of the previous file that was uploaded. I don't think it will actually show you the CURRENT file uploaded (unless I'm missing something.) So to be safe-- I update until I see the file I WANT to be submitted listed as the previously submitted file. Then I upload it again just to there's no doubt about it. Haha.

AlanHall
Serious Musician
Serious Musician

Post by AlanHall » Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:52 pm

Ted wrote:
Hell, just tonight I had another white-knuckle experience...
I figure you should get a good song lyric or two out your experiences :lol:

timwedits

Post by timwedits » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:20 pm

Thanks for this thread guys. I'm surprised to see that for the listing I submitted last night (about sixteen hours ago) doesn't have the edit button. Which if I'm reading this thread right means that it's already been screened? I mean the deadline was yesterday but wowza that was quick!

Had a couple more little tweaks that I made and was gonna re-upload. Good to know for next time though.